The M8 manual is on-line for downloading

johnastovall

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm surprised to see that they've provided an AOL email address for support contact in the US ... this is unacceptable.

And what's wrong with that?

Sincerely, John Buckley, Executive Vice President, Corporate Communications, AOL LLC.

Not trying to start a fight ;-) Cheers, JB

a bit off topic but...i've had an AOL account since the early days. Its actually my real name . I suffered my techie friends' ribbing for all these years about AOL. Always been sort of a stigma about AOL being...I don't know, sort of elementary. I personally have been very pleased by their service and reliability. I constantly travel for my work and have always had rock solid service from my AOL account. I guess its sort of geek snobbery to criticise AOL...b

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And what's wrong with that?

Sincerely, John Buckley, Executive Vice President, Corporate Communications, AOL LLC.

Not trying to start a fight ;-) Cheers, JB

Please understand this is not an argument ... John. :D

I believe giving out a personal email address in this case is all for good intentions but, serious business should be handled in a professional manner.

I don't know if this is the case with the M8, but the boot time you have to wait is when the DSLRs "warm up" the circuitry and conduct self-diagnostics ... I heard from a Nikon technician that they've long decided that most of such self tests were totally unnecessary because a faulty camera wouldn't work anyway so they've minimized the items to go through ... and Canon later follow suit.

Regarding the inclusion of a storage card, in the manual it is states specifically that none is included. This makes sense, since if they did it would be of a useless size, as with the D2. I have that card ... somewhere; it held, what, 3 raw images?

I note in the manual that we can choose to record a raw with NO jpeg. This must mean that the camera can "see" the raw image when reviewing. Nice feature!

Also, the manual states that at higher ISO's and slower speeds, the camera will also take a picture of blackness and substract the noise from the captured image. The manual does NOT say that this happens for raw images.

On p. 116, speaking about turning the wheel to the left when reviewing pictures to show 4 or 9 images, it says another turn to the right [sic] places a red box around the set of 9 pictures to enable block paging during review. Surely, they mean another turn to the left?

The manual makes it clear that this will be an easy camera to operate.

I take a lot of pre-focused (and pre-metered) pictures. I hope the 3-step shutter release doesn't slow down the process of taking pix when no camera automation is required.

Regards,

I note in the M-system brochure that the cover glass in thinner at the corners -- preventing vignetting. Very cool!

This document also says that Leica worked specifically with Phase One to fine tune the raw capture. This must mean that Capture One (C1) will be superior to Adobe RAW.

It's gonna take a while to get the measure of this new camera.