The M8 manual is on-line for downloading

johnastovall

Guest guy_mancuso

Thanks John. Just got the LFI issue for October big article on the M8 with pics. Things are looking pretty good. If the manual is on-line than they settled the firmware functions

There will be a test tomorrow morning...

Couple of things I noticed - the camera has a sensor to record its orientation so that images can be displayed correctly on a PC without the need to rotate them.

The specification talks about black laquered top and bottom covers - is this different from the black chrome plate we're used to on the M6/M7 and does it mean it's going to wear and show brassing?

Instructions for sensor cleaning stop short of using any cleaning aids other than a blower of low pressure compressed air, for example, sensor swabs or the Arctic Butterfly.

Looks good...

Couple of things I noticed - the camera has a sensor to record its orientation so that images can be displayed correctly on a PC without the need to rotate them.

The specification talks about black laquered top and bottom covers - is this different from the black chrome plate we're used to on the M6/M7 and does it mean it's going to wear and show brassing?

Instructions for sensor cleaning stop short of using any cleaning aids other than a blower of low pressure compressed air, for example, sensor swabs or the Arctic Butterfly.

Looks good...

I can't think of any manufacturer who recomends anything in their manuals but low pressure air. I know Canon doesn't.

No SD card included in the list of what's in the box...

Catching up with the big boys, I guess--no one else gives you a card.

When the Digilux 2 came out, people complained that Leica gave a bigger card than Panasonic did, but jacked up the price tremendously more than the cost of the card.

Most of us have SD cards; we have our own favorite brands; we have our preferences as to whether to carry a couple large-capacity cards or a number of smaller ones.

Different from what Leica did with the DMR, but the same as Nikon and Canon do. No problem in my opinion.

--HC

Straighten me out on this:

Does Leica US have one address for business office and another for repairs/parts?

If so, great.

But if not, the 156 Ludlow Ave address is out of date and incorrect. Same is also the case for both phone numbers listed.

Did someone say they're rushing to get these cameras out? :cool:

--HC

I was surprised at that to. I expected a least a 64meg one like the D-Lux 3.

Well I never expected to get a film with my current M cameras, preferring my own choice anyway. Logically, the same applies to cards for any digicam. Any supplied card would be way too small anyway, based on earlier observations.

Cheers,

Erl

... an AOL email address for support contact in the US ... is unacceptable.

Does seem strange, but I think the main thing isn't which account they use but what quality service they provide.

--HC

according to the manual the B setting will leave the shutter open for as long as the button is pressed, excellent. Even showing time shutter open in the viewfinder. P108

I can only hope the new DMR firmware will allow longer than its current B setting opening and a similiar count of seconds on a display somewhere.

I'm surprised to see that they've provided an AOL email address for support contact in the US ... this is unacceptable.

That would be Brenda Olesin - repairs and service manager for Leica US. I think she just wants to be sure of getting messages. (And note that you are going direct to the manager, not to a support contractor offshore someplace).

My newspaper just moved into a new, wired, "high-tech" 21st-century building - yet at least once every couple of weeks IT sends out a notice that "external email is down - please have your sources send critical mail to personal email accounts" - i.e. at AOL or Yahoo or wherever. Seems like a big nationwide email server is more reliable 24/7 than some internal email setups - which are usually dependent on the specific telcom holding the contract (Qwest, in our case).

Anyway - looks like an interesting read for the evening.

Catching up with the big boys, I guess--no one else gives you a card.

:

Different from what Leica did with the DMR, but the same as Nikon and Canon do. No problem in my opinion.

I ment it in a humorous way. I just gave the wife a C-lux 1 and we now have two red dotted 64Mb SD cards that aren't in use. I could never figure out what the point in including a card that small was other than getting rid of surplous stock. It was too small in 2004 when the D2 shipped it is too small now, even with a P&S like the C-Lux. What has changed dramatically in the last three years is the price of SD cards and there really isn't any excuse for including that small a card, you might as well do what Leica has done with the M8, leave it out.

- Carl

Looks good...

sensor to record its orientation - very cool but newer dSLRS do this too

I noticed that there is a long exposure noise reduction feature - very cool too - works well on dSLRs too.