75mm Summilux

Uyen4570

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone and Happy New Year!

I am also a new M8.2 and RF person since Thanksgiving and have learned so much from this forum.

I would like to get a 75mm Summilux lens. I have gathered from a few posts that the 6-bit coding is not necessary for a this lens, is that correct? I am also confused as to which version is the best? There is a used one available from B&H that is not coded and one on ebay that is.

Thanks!

The coding corrects vignetting and cyan cast, but on lenses longer than about 35mm, this is not really visible anyway, so it is not needed. It is of course still nice to have in the EXIF.

The versions are all optically the same. Only the body is different. I actually prefer the older lens's feel, and therefor don't have the current version (with the built-in hood). The older versions cost only slightly less, usually.

I have the newer version with slide out hood and without the coding. It's a great lens for portraits and the coding is not necessary but be aware that focusing is critical and won't tolerate any misalignment of the rangefinder/lens combo. It would be good if you could try it out first or if there's a return policy.

Jan

The coding corrects vignetting and cyan cast, but on lenses longer than about 35mm, this is not really visible anyway, so it is not needed. It is of course still nice to have in the EXIF.

That's what I used to think until I got a 75mm/1.4 Summulux for my 8.2. The lens is coded but I didn't use the filter until I noticed the most dramatic shift of every black fabric--i mean EVERY one--to purple under artificial light. Yup, the worst I have ever seen on any lens. I can't explain it because it is contrary to everything I've read. I soon got the uva/ir filter.

One more count for the UV IR filter. I have the same experience as hydet, the 75mm lux have a special ability to collect IR light. even natural dark materials show up purple in indoor light.

You will need the UV-IR filter, though I don't think you have to worry about coding.

That's what I used to think until I got a 75mm/1.4 Summulux for my 8.2. The lens is coded but I didn't use the filter until I noticed the most dramatic shift of every black fabric--i mean EVERY one--to purple under artificial light. Yup, the worst I have ever seen on any lens. I can't explain it because it is contrary to everything I've read. I soon got the uva/ir filter.

You can use the IR filter without having the coding. That is what I do for several of my lenses. The coding is only needed when the lens is wide enough for there to be a cyan shift due to the IR filter, mostly in the corners.