Which M8 Lens to code?

intex

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have several Leica lens that are not coded for the M8, and I have a coupon to code one for free, which lens would you suggest would be the best candidiate for coding?

APO-TELYT-M 1:3.4 /135

SUMMICRON-M 1: 2 /90

SUMMILUX-M 1:1.4 / 75

SUMMILUX-M 1:1.4 / 35 ASPHERICAL

Also what brand Skylite filters do you recommend for these lenses?

Thanks

I have several Leica lens that are not coded for the M8, and I have a coupon to code one for free, which lens would you suggest would be the best candidiate for coding?
If you are going to buy a wide-angle second-hand (< 28mm), then this one.

I have a Lux 35A, did code it myself. Never saw any differences.

As for the filters, you got the answer, IR/UV, but go for the Leica (Hoya) brand.

The use of Leica only UV/IR really only applies to the wider lenses - i.e. 21mm and wider. I haven't seen any differences at all on longer lenses between either Leica, B+W or Heliopan filters. I did see differences with the Zeiss 21, WATE, CV15 and CV12 lenses and I'd agree that it's pretty much mandatory to use the Leica formulation filters for those.

As regards coding, none of the lenses you list really NEED coding, although obviously the 35 Lux would be the best candidate. Another take on this might be to consider one of a pair of lenses you can't always tell apart due to lack of EXIF information - i.e. maybe the 75 or 90. Coding wouldn't do anything to improve the cyan drift correction but would make it easier to differentiate pictures taken by the lenses if that's important to you.

YMMV. :p

If your 35mm/1.4 is the ASPHERICAL variant, not the current ASPH, it will be returned from Leica uncoded. I found this out personally.

I would probably go for the 75, but that's just me and my type of shooting.

Eric