Sign in to follow this  
john_f

Ilford interview in LetsGoDigital

Advertisement (gone after registration)

FYI

There is an interview with Ann Carlier, Sales Manager for Benelux, in the Dutch website LetsGoDigital.org:

Ilford interview | Digital Camera Review

Interesting quote:

"Ann Carlier answered a burning question for all dark room fans; Ilford has sold its black and white division (http://www.ilfordphoto.com) to Harman Technology (Welcome to Harman technology). This company may now use the name Ilford Photo for black & white articles. Ilford now only works for the inkjet business (ILFORD). Ilford is now the property of OJI Papers, a big player"

Lets us hope that Ilford B&W products - films and papers - will continue to be available for years to come !

Cheers,

John F.

Dear John, that news is half year old. Ilford is sold to Harman technology, but it is good and well. They sell theire products under Ilford/Harman name.

And not only that they keep "old" Ilford products, they even expanded product line with ULF films, warmtone paper devloper, selenium toner, and for 2007. they plan to launch new FB paper which will not curl during processing and during air drying after processing.

So, Ilford b/w film, paper and chemistry under Harman's leading is not only survived, but also growing up.

There is another forum, and in that forum Ilford/Harman's representative is active member. If you need more precise informations, you can go to that forum. I don't know if I can write name of that forum here, would that be seen as advertizing...

Further information which can also more precisely be found on that other forum is that one USA company which sells b/w material (like EFKE and ADOX....) plan to buy coating facilities, so they will probably start to manufacture film and paper...

So, for now, no fear for future of b/w film/paper/chemistry, and it seems that film will be alive for many years.

Regards.

Haris,

Thank you for all the info. I think it should be ok to mention the name of this forum. Happy to read that there might very well be long life for B&W films, and papers - at least at Ilford.

Best regards,

John F.

There is another forum, and in that forum Ilford/Harman's representative is active member. If you need more precise informations, you can go to that forum. I don't know if I can write name of that forum here, would that be seen as advertizing...

Regards.

There's no problem citing and identifying other websites and their information. Might be wise not to identify the person by name, however, as they do have a right to privacy (whatever that concept means in the internet age!).

Thanks.

Allan

OK, address of forum is http://www.apug.org, that is "analog photography user group".

I will not tell name of that Ilford person, only initials, S. G. His informations about Ilford are accurate, but I would not see them as official Ilford/Harman informations. He does work at Ilford/Harman, but his informations can be seen more as good will and help to film photographers rather than official Ilford/Harman statements. You can see his informations in discussions about Ilford products. Also, there are more informations, from hear/say to very serious informations from reliable sources about other manufacturers products regarding film/paper/chemistry.

Hope this will help.

Regards.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Simon R. Galley is the Company Director at ILFORD Photo HARMAN technology Limited, and has been an active participant on APUG since he joined. Simon has been very helpful in explaning to everybody on APUG what the film markets are today, the difficulties that traditional silver photoraphy faces in the now-digital world, and how Ilford/Harman fits into the equation. Ths is the first time that I've ever seen a company director join a public forum and interact direcly with customers (an analogy would be Rick Wagoner, CEO of General Motors, joining some car-based forum). Simon's posts alone make it worthwhile to join APUG.

Jim Bielecki

Jim, thank you.

What Jim said is absolutely true. I was reserved because I wasn't sure how much would be apropriate to tell to preserve privacy of Mr. Galley, and still to give you informations. I wasn't sure would Mr. Galley like his name to be spread without first asking him, that was my biggest reserve, and would mentioning APUG forum be appropriate here. Next, even if informations Mr. Galley gives on APUG forumare informations from high (highest) positioned Ilford/Harman person, I didn't want to make maybe error calling those informations as official Ilford/Harman informations.

But, Jim tells precisely how things are, so you now have truth, whole truth, and nothing but the truth

Regards