Do You Ever Get Discouraged?

gfspencer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Funny, as a former D1 and D2 user, I don't miss a zoom lens at all. A good fast 40mm 'standard' is on the M8 nearly 100% of the time with a 90 and 28 either side for occasional use.

Horses for courses I guess.

Graeme

Graeme, I agree with you. Most of the time I use prime lenses. But, in the context of shooting a kid's party, I have much more flexibility from a fixed viewpoint - zooming in as required to capture close-up expressions. On all occasions, I use my feet and a prime lens.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been shooting with my M8 for two years and here is my experience from yesterday's excursion. I am in the process of buying a point and shoot camera for me and my wife and yesterday, I put a Ricoh GX200 through its paces shooting the kind of street scenes I normally shoot. It was a lot of fun shooting with the camera. I shot some in autofocus mode, some manual etc. When I came home I downloaded them, I noticed that most were out of focus, grainy, had motion blur, were ill-composed, or I had just flat out missed the moment I wanted to photograph.

Trust me, it is worth putting the effort into learning the ins and outs of the M8. It really will become an extension of your eye.

Guest bwcolor

Mr. Hutton: Well, I'm certainly not patronizing you--clearly a person not able to adjust his thinking to an objective viewpoint about photography, cameras and Leica. Maybe you need to get out your 4 x5 Graflex, and take some candid shots of your kiddies at play. And have you actually bought or even tried a Canon G10? I have and know exactly what it will do and it is very competent. This forum is, or should be, for people with some imagination and constructive thinking, not sniffy fossils.

This forum is, or should be, for people with some imagination and constructive thinking, not sniffy fossils.

Whilst this forum isn't headed the "Sniffy old fossils" forum, nor is it headed the "Canon G10 forum". If my memory serves me right I think its actually the "Leica M8 forum" and from the postings that I've seen, many owners of M8s are people with imagination and constructive thinking. The G10 certainly has its place and for automated snapshots of toddler's parties is probably a very fair performer. But it isn't a rangefinder and doesn't feature most of the more creative attributes of the M8. To extoll its virtues further I'd suggest looking for a G10 forum.

(another sniffy old fossil)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mr. Hutton: Well, I'm certainly not patronizing you--clearly a person not able to adjust his thinking to an objective viewpoint about photography, cameras and Leica. Maybe you need to get out your 4 x5 Graflex, and take some candid shots of your kiddies at play. And have you actually bought or even tried a Canon G10? I have and know exactly what it will do and it is very competent. This forum is, or should be, for people with some imagination and constructive thinking, not sniffy fossils.

I did not say, or infer, that you were patronising me in your first response - although the second is something to behold. My comment on the Canon is simply that it is ugly, plastic and transient. Hell, my 'phone takes a decent photograph in the right hands but neither the Canon nor the 'phone offer the manual flexibility of my M8.

As a rangefinder user for 30 years myself - even still using my 1931 1C occasionally - I find the M8 an ultimately capable tool. Any shortcomings are entirely my own.

Pot calling the kettle black methinks.

Best wishes

Graeme

bwcolor, while your counter POV is your healthy right to express, you are out of line in your manner and style of expression on this forum. Please tidy up your manners or you will be dealt with in another manner. Any opinion you wish to make can easily be done just as convincingly in a polite way.

You're all completely wrong in your advice.

If you start off by assuming all your photos will be cra@p you'll never get discouraged. You'll get the occasional good one and that will make it all worthwhile. :)

I shoot 100% cra@p just so that I can manage my own expectations. And I do it handsomely.

Guest bwcolor

Erl, God of Forums

Oh sacred one, please hold thy wrath from this trembling head, whilst thinking how biggotted and narrow minded this forum is, and how discouraging it is for some of us with brighter minds than most, to try and find a place for glimmers of hope in the current wilderness of Leica Camera Company abfuscation, smoke and mirrors. But I have little hope to escape your vengence for challenging some of the pinheads you pamper with your paternal pandering. If you read your own forum, you would find that the abusive insults daily slung by your coddled members beslime the very name and traditon of Leica, and counter a constructive attempt to move camera design away from the primitive slopes of Mt. Ararat where I presume you reside. Pete Mann (bwcolor), disgusted and with better people to talk to elsewhere. Hasta La Vista, babies.

bwcolor: To borrow Whitman's words:

Loath, O' so loath to depart,

Garrulous to the last...

Also pretty pompous. I haven't seen that many pretentious words strung together since Senator Charles Schumer gave his last press availability.

Erl, God of Forums

Oh sacred one, please hold thy wrath from this trembling head, whilst thinking how biggotted and narrow minded this forum is, and how discouraging it is for some of us with brighter minds than most, to try and find a place for glimmers of hope in the current wilderness of Leica Camera Company abfuscation, smoke and mirrors. But I have little hope to escape your vengence for challenging some of the pinheads you pamper with your paternal pandering. If you read your own forum, you would find that the abusive insults daily slung by your coddled members beslime the very name and traditon of Leica, and counter a constructive attempt to move camera design away from the primitive slopes of Mt. Ararat where I presume you reside. Pete Mann (bwcolor), disgusted and with better people to talk to elsewhere. Hasta La Vista, babies.

hahaha....now the thread is finally interesting

If you're an older guy let me give you two tips about the internet...Strong opinions always have to be followed by a disclaimer like "It's just my opinion and others are certainly free to disagree...or....maybe I'm wrong but that's just my personal experience." Strong opinions without disclaimers often get interpreted as trolling.

The 2nd tip I have for ya is that satire doesn't work well on the current generation....Just watch 30 minutes of TV and you'll notice that there is nothing subtle about it.... Everything is obvious....jokes are obvious....sexuality is blatant...nothing is subtle...Satire is subtle so it is often mis-interpreted as pompousness by the generations that have been brought up on the in-your-face type of media. They often miss the crafty humor in satire and just interpret it as insulting. Don't worry, give it 10 more years and satire will be back in style again.

hahaha....now the thread is finally interesting

If you're an older guy let me give you two tips about the internet...Strong opinions always have to be followed by a disclaimer like "It's just my opinion and others are certainly free to disagree...or....maybe I'm wrong but that's just my personal experience." Strong opinions without disclaimers often get interpreted as trolling.

The 2nd tip I have for ya is that satire doesn't work well on the current generation....Just watch 30 minutes of TV and you'll notice that there is nothing subtle about it.... Everything is obvious....jokes are obvious....sexuality is blatant...nothing is subtle...Satire is subtle so it is often mis-interpreted as pompousness by the generations that have been brought up on the in-your-face type of media. They often miss the crafty humor in satire and just interpret it as insulting. Don't worry, give it 10 more years and satire will be back in style again.

I subscribe, the part of the satire in particular, since I live in a country where satire and humour are almost dead.

Very well said.

I get discouraged when I realize I forgot to bring my camera, unless leaving the camera at home was my intention so I could concentrate on just enjoying the moment.

Out of a couple dozen shots this Christmas, I managed to get about five keepers that really captured the essence. These were all on the M8, but it could've been the M3, which I shot the previous Christmas with some Tri-X.

I'm finding that for making kid photos, you have to be a kid yourself, a bit. Relax. Get into the rhythm of whatever the current game is. For example, I have one shot of my nephew running around and around the room. I shot wide open at 640, but pre-set focus to a particular corner of a piano bench he kept running by. The next two times he ran by that spot, I simply clicked the shutter. One of the shots became a keeper! And at the time, it was just an experiment for me to see if it would work.

Another shot I was just trying to get a photo of the Lionel train blurring by around the tree, and there was my 4-yo nephew looking bored but watching what I was doing, head propped in his hands.. I turned at grabbed the shot through the branches of the tree. Yes, his face is a touch out of focus, but close enough. I ran it through SilverEfex TMax film simulation. It's one of my favorites. Gritty, imperfect, just like real life.

I've found as soon as I think I know all there is to know, I stop learning, and then nothing interesting happens. Instead, I often approach photography as a giant experiment. It may work. Let's try it and see.

If you watch people (or animals) long enough, they always pause now and then. That's when I release the shutter. I wait for that 1/2 second hesitation/reflection and grab it.

Which camera you use will have an impact on your photographic process, which may lead to some interesting results, or not-so-interesting ones. Figure out a camera's strengths and leverage them.

You make work what you have, whether that's a sketchbook and a pencil or a Nikon D3.

--

Geoff

Guest stnami
bwcolor, while your counter POV is your healthy right to express, you are out of line in your manner and style of expression on this forum. Please tidy up your manners or you will be dealt with in another manner. Any opinion you wish to make can easily be done just as convincingly in a polite way.
Wow what a blatant form of censorship............ re-worded I don't like what you are saying or the way you say it, I am going to get rid if you................Open threats was never the way of moderators on this forum or is this the new way? Erl maybe you learnt this approach from little Johnny Howard..........No wonder bwcolor's last comment ended up so negative and attacking in nature .............