Best USM setting for M8 dng files?

sm23221

I just use default sharpening in Capture One, convert to JPG (highest quality), and print (usually 20" x 30"). In my experience, no additional sharpening is really required with M8 files due to the lack of an AA filter.

And, if you are using Photoshop, I'd recommend using Smart Sharpen rather than Unsharp Mask.

David

Depends on what you want to sharpen it for. A print needs different sharpening than a web display. Also USM if used on its own is not the optimum sharpening, it creates quite some artefacts if you are not careful. It is worth it reading up on the finer points of Photoshop or Lightroom to obtain best results.

I always disable sharpening in Capture One, In Photoshop, depending on what the subject is and if its for print or the web a good start point is 110/1/0 (+ or -)

Also, try duplicate the layer and "convert for smart filter" on duplicated layer change it to Luminosity mode (to reduce artifact) and run your USM on it. The great thing about using "smart filter" once you run your USM you can always go back to it and edit it at any given time.

The alternative to this is to use USM on a layer, and after running USM go to edit-fade unsharp mask and change the mode to luminosity. that applies the USM to the luminosity channel only. Then you can adjust the amount of USM by varying the opacity of your layer.

... And, if you are using Photoshop, I'd recommend using Smart Sharpen rather than Unsharp Mask. ...

David--

Help me out on that please. :o

I've always seen Smart Sharpen as anything but smart.

It looks to me like nothing more than a collection of various sharpening tools, and seems to require that *I* be the smart one and figure out which of the filters is the best for this file.

Clearly I'm missing something here. :confused:

Where's a good place to get started on the matter?

Thanks!