Epson 2880 Frustrations

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A while back I shared some frustrations about the Epson 2880 printer I bought. To date I have yet to turn it on and print without playing with it for at least 15 minutes before I can get it to work with Velvet Fine Art Paper. I keep getting all kinds of message, paper jams, wrong paper, etc. I'm at the point where I think I will be taking it to an Epson repair center to have it checked out. It's been a complete frustration. I love the prints but had I known I would have these problems I would not have bought the printer. My Epson 2200 is still going strong, boy am I glad I did not sell it.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Well, I give up. I can't get it to print this evening. I have no problem printing thinner paper but the moment I use a thicker paper I get a different error message every time. The last time I spoke to tech support they agreed it was a finicky printer. I can't recommend this printer to anyone thinking of purchasing one no matter how good the print quality is. I'll be taking it in for an inspection and repair. I hope Epson is a good performer in that department.

Wilfredo,

I am glad I saw your post as I was thinking about picking up one in the next week. I will now investigate more carefully.

Best of luck with that printer, I'd get Epson to pay for the shipping to send that in for a look.

Kent

I have a 2880 and have not had any difficulty loading Epson VFA paper. Are you using the correct feed slot for this paper. It goes into the back feed slot. The feed tray should be installed to help it feed straight. It is necessary to help the paper into the feed slot untill it meets resistance. Now, open the cover and check to see if the paper has fed correctly and is straight. At that point it will feed, and it is still necessary to gently help it along. Hope that this helps.

Gary

I took the printer to an Epson authorized dealer and it turns out that it needed a missing guide that goes on the paper feeder for the thicker papers. The guide has been put in place so hopefully it won't be having any more problems. I'll check it tomorrow after I connect it. I sure wish the tech support people had pointed that out when I called them.

• 2 months later...

I used to have paper loading problems with my Epson R2400. After much frustration, I finally figured it out - at least for me. It appears that the paper in the top loader must be totally flat down by where it is grabbed and taken in (by the way, I always load my sheet paper manually, one at a time so your results may vary). That's why I never had a problem with Premium Luster, which is naturally flat, but I could never load any type of fine art paper, which usually has some kind of bend to it. Now I put the paper in the top loader, pull the top of the paper slightly toward me to make a "c" shape as seen in a side view. That makes the bottom of the paper lay flat against the pickup. It's easier to see and do than it is to explain it here, but I've since had a 100% success rate at loading all types of paper.