Which DSLR produces files most like the M8?

Guest noah_addis

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...and the 5d ii with Leica R glass...

mike

http://www.mikecetta@mac.com

I used to shoot my 5D with R glass, but it's stop down metering. THe camera can't control the iris, so unless you are constantly shooting wide open the view can be very dim.

That was one of the main reasons why I switched to Nikon, who has full support for manual lenses.

Apparently the new Zeiss lenses for Canon have full aperture control.

Hi Thrid,

That is true, and I've stressed it myself but an interesting new option is using the Zeiss ZE MF lenses with Canons.

Cheers,

Sean

If Nikon/Canon etc would simply put a full distance scale on their AF glass you could wing it, but most cut off after 3m and the next marking is infinity... Very annoying.

But I agree it is nice to see the Zeiss glass for Canon.

If Nikon/Canon etc would simply put a full distance scale on their AF glass you could wing it, but most cut off after 3m and the next marking is infinity...

Depends on the focal length... a Nikon sample:

14-24/2.8: 0.28, 0.35, 0.5, 1, Inf

20/2.8 AF-D: 0.25, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.7, 1, 2, Inf

28/1.4 AF-D: 0.35, 0.4, 0.5, 0.7, 1, 2 Inf

85/1.4 AF-D: 0.85, 1, 1.2, 1.5, 2, 3, 5, 10, Inf

70-200 /2.8 VR: 1.5, 1.7, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, Inf

200-400/4 VR: 2, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.7, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 15, 30, Inf

So, out of that sample of 6, not one is marked as your suggest, so perhaps your assertion was a tad off. Your Canon mileage may, of course, vary.

Depends on the focal length... a Nikon sample:

14-24/2.8: 0.28, 0.35, 0.5, 1, Inf

20/2.8 AF-D: 0.25, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.7, 1, 2, Inf

28/1.4 AF-D: 0.35, 0.4, 0.5, 0.7, 1, 2 Inf

85/1.4 AF-D: 0.85, 1, 1.2, 1.5, 2, 3, 5, 10, Inf

70-200 /2.8 VR: 1.5, 1.7, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, Inf

200-400/4 VR: 2, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.7, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 15, 30, Inf

So, out of that sample of 6, not one is marked as your suggest, so perhaps your assertion was a tad off. Your Canon mileage may, of course, vary.

If I remember correctly my Canon 1.4/50 had markings up to 3 meters, then infinity. The 35L was marked up to 3m, then 10 and infinity.

The other problem was that the distance scale on the 50 only had markings for f22. The 35L had more aperture markings, but they were very close together making it very difficult to set the lens at anything but f16 etc.

For street shooting with lenses between 28 and 50mm, at the very least you need to know where 2m, 3m, 5m, 10m and infinity is. You need aperture markings at least as low as f5.6. A full aperture scale is of course ideal. The only lenses you listed with some of these requirements are a 85mm and long zoom lenses starting at 70mm. But have you ever tried to shoot a scale focused 85 at close distances (3-10m), let alone a target that in the worse case scenario is moving towards you? With practice it's feasible at f11-22 at close distances, but once you move past f8 you would need a lot of luck or limit your approach to pre focusing on a certain spot.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used to shoot my 5D with R glass, but it's stop down metering. THe camera can't control the iris, so unless you are constantly shooting wide open the view can be very dim.

That was one of the main reasons why I switched to Nikon, who has full support for manual lenses.

Apparently the new Zeiss lenses for Canon have full aperture control.

..true enough but after shooting with 100 r macro for a bit I haven't found this to be all that bothersome and haven't had issues yet with closed down outside...i purchased an adaptor ring from Huoda that has a strip on it that allows for focus confirmation and it actually works...the files from the lens camera combo are worth it for me..I also have the 60 macro r and waiting for an adaptor to test that out..though now that zeiss is making eos i'll look there in the future...

mike

mikecettadotcom

• 2 weeks later...
Guest noah_addis

To close this out I thought I'd share some thoughts about the D700. I've only had it a short time, but since I shot Nikon before it was pretty easy to figure everything out without the manual.

It's a great camera, bigger than the M8 of course but smaller than the 1-series Canons I used at the paper.

It's a bit louder than the M8, but the shutter noise is of a very short duration, so it's not all that much more objectionable. It's sort of funny, but being able to see my image previews and zoom in right away is kind of a surprise after being used to the slow processing of the M8.

The Nikon 180mm was always a favorite telephoto lens for me, and my new copy didn't disappoint. The zeiss glass blew me away. I started with only the 28/2 but I liked it so much I got the 50/1.4 and 85/1.5 to round out the set. I was a bit worried about manual focus, since focusing SLRs has never been my strong point. Images seem to snap into focus very easily, and the digital display is there as a confirmation if I need it.

Honestly, if I wasn't very impressed with the image quality of the camera, I wouldn't have bought the other two zeiss lenses. But I am impressed. I'm not one for extensive side-by-side camera testing, I like to use what works. But the D700 clearly works.

I also firmly believe, as I've stated here before, that a camera can be 'good enough' for my needs without being the latest and greatest. I've said that I don't need superhigh iso capabilities and this is still true. But I've come to realize just how handy the high speeds can be, and how good they are on the newer cameras.

To sum this all up, the D700 seems like a pretty good match for the M8 and should serve my purposes well. I'll probably use my M8 when I want to travel light or when extra discretion is called for, and I'll stick to the D700 I need to shoot fast, in the dark or with long glass.

Thanks for all those who offered advice!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest noah_addis

The images are:

1. D700 with Zeiss 28/2, iso 320, 1/4sec at F/2 (Looks a bit soft probably due to motion blur)

2. M8, 24 Elmarit ASPH, iso 320, 1/4sec at F/2.8

3. Here's where it gets interesting, D700, 28/2, iso3200, 1/30 at f/2

Please don't use these to judge color, as they are all auto wb out of the camera and quick acr raw conversions with default settings. Also, light was mixed light including a tv with changing colors. Below are 100 percent crops of the same files, in the same order:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Noah,

Congratulations on your decision. I hope they'll suite your needs in your new freelance work. I was fortunate enough to purchase one of your MP's recently.

I couldn't help but comment on these shots. Not the subtleties between the Nikon and the M8, but the subject. I know those eyes well. We have had 2 rescues in our past, both brindles and those eyes speak volumes.

Keep well and best of luck.

matt

Guest noah_addis

Thanks Matt, hope you're enjoying the MP. They're great dogs, though he is still getting used to the colder climate since he's originally from Alabama, hence the blankets. He runs super fast but is a big couch potato the rest of the time.

Just to clarify I didn't intend to post my examples as proof one camera is better than the other, only to prove that they can actually complement each other nicely and work well together.

I'll continue to use my M8's alongside my new slr setup and I still have a few MPs and M6ttls if I get a chance to shoot film.

Noah - congratulations too!

I've made a similar decision - though I went with the glass I'd already invested in and got the Canon 5D2. The great thing is that we now have this wonderful flexibility you mention. M8 system for intimate, discrete, light work. DSLR for low low light, and long lens work.

Aren't we fortunate that this kind of quality is available at reasonable prices and in packages that are smaller than a pair of house bricks!

Very best of luck for your free-lance work.

Thanks again Noah, thoroughly enjoying the MP. Got a 50 'lux on the way to go with it! Coincidentally our 2 rescues were through a group in Philly, NGAP, and yes, they do make great couch potatoes! Wonderfully grateful couch potatoes.

I'm not practiced enough to discern significant differences between the photos relative to the sensor or the glass. So at least to the amateur eye they seem pretty close given the other variances you mention.

Again, best of luck, and let us know when your site has new work on it.

Thanks,

Matt

btw, got a few F-bayonet mount lenses with my F3 sitting around growing dust if you ever feel nostalgic and wish to manual focus...