Which DSLR produces files most like the M8?

Guest noah_addis

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Epson rd-1. 6MP CCD and 1.6x crop factor. Takes Leica lens and it's a rangefinder that not only takes filmlike pix.It looks like a film camera.

Pictures are "less digital"="filmlike" becasue of :glass+workstyle (getting closer to the subject, )

In the beginning, I had a Canon 1Ds II alongside with my M8. The files looked very similar, but the M8's cropped - and often sharper due to better glass (and no AA filter). The Canon 1Ds II goes very cheap on the 2.hand market, these days. The 1Ds II is better than most on 'high ISO/low noice'. Generally, Canon glass is cheaper than Nikons.

Strongly recommended.

Guest noah_addis

Nugat, thanks for the advice but I'm specifically looking for a digital SLR so I can use long lenses, to complement my two M8 bodies.

I'll post (with pics) once I decide. But I'm definitely going Nikon. I found a great deal on an old manual focus 300/2.8.

The only dSLR that has the same look and feel of M8 files (and better, actually) is the DMR.

Having said that, if you want a very-high quality AF camera with a different character and the ability to kick-a** in the low-light department, I'd pick up a Nikon D700 (or wait for the inevitable D800). I use a D3 professionally and it's by far the best Japanese pro dSLR I've ever used (I was a long-time Canon pro, but I like just about everything on the D3 better for the way I shoot). The D700 is cheaper and has the same characteristics without some of the pro features.

Now--if you want the character of Leica glass, the new Canon 5d2 coupled with R glass might give you the best of all worlds till the R10 comes out. But as a hybrid you will get manual focus. On the other hand, I'd love to see what the 80 R Lux would look like in 20+ MP sensor :)

(where o where is the R10?!)

The only dSLR that has the same look and feel of M8 files (and better, actually) is the DMR.

Now--if you want the character of Leica glass, the new Canon 5d2 coupled with R glass might give you the best of all worlds till the R10 comes out. But as a hybrid you will get manual focus. On the other hand, I'd love to see what the 80 R Lux would look like in 20+ MP sensor :)

(where o where is the R10?!)

'

..Jamie

..just got the 5dii as my second camera to my m8 and picked up the 100 apo macro and 60 apo macro lenses used online and the combination is outstanding!...so far have just tested the 100 and all i can say is wow...it's the best of both it seems to me

mike

mikecettadotcom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a 5D, DMR and M8.

They all look different.

Why do you want another camera to look like an M8 if it's not?

It seems to me that the best results are made by exploring the camera and lens to their fullest?

Those Panasonic files doesn't look like an M8, the texture is much softer maybe due to AA filter or post processing? I've placed an R lens on the 5D and that doesn't look like the DMR.

Best Regards

Henrik

...just got the 5dii as my second camera to my m8 and picked up the 100 apo macro and 60 apo macro lenses used online and the combination is outstanding!...

Would you mind to show some portraits shot with those lenses? Jpegs i've viewed with Canon glass looked somewhat waxy.

I have a 5D, DMR and M8.

They all look different.

Why do you want another camera to look like an M8 if it's not?

It seems to me that the best results are made by exploring the camera and lens to their fullest?

Those Panasonic files doesn't look like an M8, the texture is much softer maybe due to AA filter or post processing? I've placed an R lens on the 5D and that doesn't look like the DMR.

Best Regards

Henrik

Thanks Henrik! You perfectly point out why a thread like this is as pointless as asking which Grand Cru Burgundy wines taste the same :D

Guest noah_addis
Thanks Henrik! You perfectly point out why a thread like this is as pointless as asking which Grand Cru Burgundy wines taste the same :D

If you think it's pointless, ignore it.

I like the look of my M8 photographs, and my clients do too. I want to make sure that my occasional long-lens photo doesn't stand out too much from my M8 work.

It's pretty easy to understand why a professional photographer might want his or her different cameras to produce files with a similar look. I'm not looking for the 'best' dslr. I figured people on this forum who know the M8 and have probably used dslr cameras as well would be a good resource for ideas of what cameras to test out.

I don't think it is pointless at all.

BTW, some time ago (for a review) I tested a Leica 100 Macro lens on both the DMR and Canon 1Ds II (at low ISO). Both files were processed in the same way and they looked quite similar.

Lenses aside, the M8 look comes in large part from the lack of AA filter. The higher res. DSLRs seem to use weaker AA filters. So, for Noah, the D700 and 1Ds Mk III seem to be worth considering. I haven't worked with a 5D Mk II but it's likely a candidate as well. Put Zeiss lenses on any of those cameras and one is perhaps in the ballpark of the M8 with good RF lenses.

Then there's the Sony but it doesn't seem to hold as well at high ISO.

Cheers,

Sean

To add, I own both the D300 and D3. The one issue I had with the D300 is buffering. I took the D300 out west to shoot the Calgary Stampede with a Nikkor 400 mm lens. At times when shooting fast, I was delayed by buffering. I do not have this issue with the D3 . I believe Nikon does offer a $500.00 buffing upgrade for the D300. All this being said, if you don't shoot sport and or your shooting style is not one to lay heavy on the shutter, the D300 and or D3 will tickle you pink and create great images.

Cheers

George C

I don't think it is pointless at all.

BTW, some time ago (for a review) I tested a Leica 100 Macro lens on both the DMR and Canon 1Ds II (at low ISO). Both files were processed in the same way and they looked quite similar.

I guess it depends on what the difference margin is allowed to be.

With a margin large enough everything should be possible.

Maybe the real question is why it has to look like an M8?

The reason why I ask is that you will always be second best if you try to copy something else.

Best Regards

Henrik

I have tried both Nikon and Canon DSLRs, and have been disappointed by both. I recently latched onto a DMR back for my R8 while on vacation in Germany. Once I got home and hooked it up to my R8, I was hooked. The R8/9 DMR combo is definitely the DSLR M8 equivalent, and a great package. The one drawback is the weight, which comes in the same as a Canon 1Ds MK III or Nikon D2/3 weight class. But Damn good images.

Gene

Guest noah_addis

Maybe the real question is why it has to look like an M8?

Because I shoot 98% of my work with the M8, and if I make the occasional photograph with a longer (180mm+) lens, I'd like it to have some consistency. I know it will never match precisely, but it would be nice if the color and sharpness and even noise were similar. And since I often work on deadline, it would be nice if it were as close as possible out of the camera without a lot of post work.

Because I shoot 98% of my work with the M8, and if I make the occasional photograph with a longer (180mm+) lens, I'd like it to have some consistency. I know it will never match precisely, but it would be nice if the color and sharpness and even noise were similar. And since I often work on deadline, it would be nice if it were as close as possible out of the camera without a lot of post work.

The noise won't be similar but you knew that, I imagine.

Cheers,

Sean