Buying M8 in uk to receive the cashbak

faffo99

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Passport Warranty

If you buy from a UK dealer on the box it will state 'Official UK Import'.

Inside the box will be a passport application form, which should be stamped by the dealer, or they provide a sticker label.

You fill in the passport application form and send it to Leica UK in Milton Keynes.

The passport application form requires purchased in the UK after official import into the UK.

It does not state that you have to be resident in the UK.

Of course before the UK Pound fell in value this scenario never arose, so I hope leica UK are ready for it.

Jeff

What I was thinking. The M8.2 is 3,905 £ at Red Dot Camera Red Dot Cameras - Leica Cameras, Leica Binoculars, Metz Flashguns, Manfrotto Tripods, Leitz

Also, I might add, if you're a company buying from another country, you will get the 15% English VAT back. Another 15% off the price. (You would then add the local VAT which you a a company can deduct, why you don't add any VAT at all).

Don't know the rules for private persons. I know, when in Harrods last time, they said I could go to a desk in their building and get the English VAT back on a Dupont lighter. So maybe if picking up in person, as a tourist.

Of course before the UK Pound fell in value this scenario never arose, so I hope leica UK are ready for it.

Jeff

Of course they are. In fact this is a "healing" procedure. If pound stays so low, EU clients will do what faffo does, and this will eventually strengthen GBP. Besides for the British a pound is still a pound.

uhm...little confusing here...

no doubt i can send it to solms... but if i have to pay for it or not?

of course i can send it... but what i'm asking is if they'll accept the passport warranty...

there must be someone who had this experience...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What I was thinking. The M8.2 is 3,905 £ at Red Dot Camera Red Dot Cameras - Leica Cameras, Leica Binoculars, Metz Flashguns, Manfrotto Tripods, Leitz

Also, I might add, if you're a company buying from another country, you will get the 15% English VAT back. Another 15% off the price. (You would then add the local VAT which you a a company can deduct, why you don't add any VAT at all).

Don't know the rules for private persons. I know, when in Harrods last time, they said I could go to a desk in their building and get the English VAT back on a Dupont lighter. So maybe if picking up in person, as a tourist.

Individuals can only reclaim VAT on export if they are non-EU residents

In regards to the passport warranty, I bought a 50mm Summilux from Robert White through Ebay a few years ago. I am in Canada and I received a passport warranty Card from Leica UK. It was mailed to me in Canada by Leica UK after I registered the lens. I assume the passport would apply, but I might have had to send the lens to the UK for service. But in my case, there is little difference in sending a lens to the UK or Solms for service.

Raffaele, in your case if you had a passport claim, you would have to send it into the UK to get Passport, or if just normal warranty, you could send to either Solms or the UK.

I also have the honor of being Robert Whites first Ebay transaction. I think I paid 500 Pounds for a new 50mm Summilux. Since he was a new seller nobody seemed to be bidding on it. When the auction ended, I looked up the number for the shop in the Yellow Pages online, called him and he happily took my credit card number and shipped the lens right out.

Robert

uhm...little confusing here...

no doubt i can send it to solms... but if i have to pay for it or not?

of course i can send it... but what i'm asking is if they'll accept the passport warranty...

there must be someone who had this experience...

If you are claiming under the passport warranty for accidental damage then you should do this via Leica UK. The passport warranty is for 1 year only for M8 bodies.

If you are claiming under the Leica warranty which is 2 years but does not include accidental damage then you send it to Solms.

The passport is only really useful for accidental damage, otherwise it is the nromal warranty.

Jeff

Individuals can only reclaim VAT on export if they are non-EU residents

They can also do it if they are EU citizens, as long as they fill in some papers. At least thats how it used to be. On this particular case though, he should NOT do it simply because Braun dropped VAT as well. EU has VAT @ 19%, yours is 15%, a 4% lower, and if he is a company that can justify the expense he can deduct it from the original UK invoices directly.

The passport warranty (which is like a guarantee + insurance) is available in the UK only, all other countries have a two-year "normal" guarantee. Whether the passport applies to exported cameras I do not know, but I have a feeling it will not.

The passport warranty is not instead of the normal 2 year guarantee - it is an additional benefit. Even if the passport warranty does not apply to non-UK residents (and I would be very surprised if it did not), the normal 2 year worldwide guarantee would be valid and the buyer would be entitled to service at a local Leica service centre (who may well just send it on to Solms). It's been this way for years and the M8 hasn't changed anything.

well is not properly exporrted is it?

i mean i just buy it in england....i mean if i send it in england they accept my passport warranty?

Why not simply email an official UK dealer with this and any other of your questions re warranty/repair? Try Red Dot Cameras..

The offical small print:

17/10/2008

Accidents can happen, anywhere, anytime but that's no problem if your equipment qualifies for protection under the Official UK Leica Passport scheme which provides free cover against malfunction, resulting from accidental damage.

The Official UK Leica Passport scheme is offered on specific Leica products but only if they are purchased new in the UK and from a Leica authorised UK dealer.

In addition they must have been imported by Leica Camera Limited, the official UK and Ireland distributor and member of the Leica Camera Group, Germany.

Whilst specific terms & conditions apply, if, during the period of cover, any part of the Leica equipment ceases to function or functions incorrectly, from whatever cause, including accidental damage, it will be repaired by Leica Camera Limited free of charge.

Alternatively, Leica Camera Ltd, may, at its discretion, offer a replacement free of charge.

In the case of special or limited editions which cannot be replaced, Leica will endeavour to carry out repairs.

Obviously the effects of normal wear and tear e.g. cosmetic damage, or any damage resulting from third party repairs, are not covered by the Leica Passport.

Cover starts from the date of original purchase and the duration of cover varies according to product.

A full list of Leica UK authorised dealers - the only retailers that can provide you with this valuable benefit - can be found via the dealer locator section of this site.

Leica UK passport warranty is an additional warranty on top of the standard leica world wide warranty. The passport warranty covers accidental damage to your equipment, no questions asked. It applies to all items supplied by leica UK to leica uk dealers. The passport warranty applies to anyone who purchases the item from a UK dealer regardless of the purchasers home location. This passport warranty is also transferable to someone else during the warranty period should you ever sell the item.

The leica standard warranty is a manufacturers world wide warranty which covers malfunction of the goods but not accidental damage by the user.

So passport warranty is almost like an insurance warranty, you break it, we'll fix it or replace it no matter what.

Leica UK passport warranty is an additional warranty on top of the standard leica world wide warranty. The passport warranty covers accidental damage to your equipment, no questions asked. It applies to all items supplied by leica UK to leica uk dealers. The passport warranty applies to anyone who purchases the item from a UK dealer regardless of the purchasers home location. This passport warranty is also transferable to someone else during the warranty period should you ever sell the item.

The leica standard warranty is a manufacturers world wide warranty which covers malfunction of the goods but not accidental damage by the user.

So passport warranty is almost like an insurance warranty, you break it, we'll fix it or replace it no matter what.

ok got it... will i be able to use it? if so.. who do i have to contact and send the camera to?

the shop i bought it from? or leica uk?

ok got it... will i be able to use it? if so.. who do i have to contact and send the camera to?

the shop i bought it from? or leica uk?

Ok, you buy your camera from an authorised UK dealer. It arrives at your home. Inside the box should be the standard leica warranty card and a Leica UK passport application. You fill out the application and send it with a copy of your receipt to Leica UK, they will in turn send you the Passport warranty card and your receipt back.

In the event of you damaging your camera accidently by some means, phone Leica UK, explain the situation and they will advise you on where you should send the camera.

If you have a normal Leica warranty issue, phone or email Leica Solms, you will be asked to send your camera directly to solms for repair, in this case you enclose the standard Leica warranty card and a copy of your sales receipt.

You could of course send everything via your dealer, but IMO this leads to unnecessary delays.