How often do you bump into someone with a M8

leolaksi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Of all places: the floating village on Tanle Sap in Cambodia.

Here in NY, I've seen a few Leica's (can't say if they're M8 or otherwise). Once in a Fish and Chips place (A Salt and Battery), there was a gentleman with an M8 and 21mm sitting next to me. I had the exact same setup in my bag.

Usually when I see a Leica, I'll tell my girlfriend: "See, he/she's got a Leica too". Her usual response is less enthusiastic. Its like a scavenger hunt sometimes spotting them in a crowd.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of all places: the floating village on Tanle Sap in Cambodia.

Here in NY, I've seen a few Leica's (can't say if they're M8 or otherwise). Once in a Fish and Chips place (A Salt and Battery), there was a gentleman with an M8 and 21mm sitting next to me. I had the exact same setup in my bag.

Usually when I see a Leica, I'll tell my girlfriend: "See, he/she's got a Leica too". Her usual response is less enthusiastic. Its like a scavenger hunt sometimes spotting them in a crowd.

I'll be going to Siem Reap and Tonle Sap for the first time in about eight years. Last time I went I was strictly film. A M6 and a Canon 1V. How times have changed. This time I'll still bring my M6. But my 1V is collecting dust at home.

I don't see many (any) M8's in Fort Worth, Texas. A couple of years ago I was with my nine-year-old son walking down the sidewalk. I had my M6 on my shoulder. A car rolled up behind us and I could sense the window rolling down. I heard a "Hey, John what's up?". After a second I realized it was one of the photographers from the local newspaper who I hadn't seen in a while. I asked him how he knew it was me since he had called my name from behind. He laughed and said the M6 was the giveaway. He said you NEVER see a Leica in town unless it's "Fulton". LOL. Good thread guys - thanks.

Guest breverl

... one of my first shots with my new M8 in the first week ...

... well it was no M8 but a M6 I have been bump in I think ...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've only really been using the M8 for a month or so now... haven't seen another M8 in London, but I did bump into this guy from Hong Kong with his M6. We were both taking a photograph of the same thing and literally walked into each other.

3272128153_fd488b63ab.jpg

We had a chat, he asked me if I was a photographer (no), I asked if that was a Luigi case (no), then we went our separate ways.

if you watch dutch news every now and then you will get a glimp of Roel Vissers, a photojournalist who shoots press conferences with his Leica

Andy: One thing for sure is that this is not a camera for commoners.

- I've seen maybe this Roel guy too, - two camera's, a 21mm1.4 (seeing the footprint of the lenshood) and a 75 mm2.0, taking the most relaxed pictures of any photographer around. That by itself is uncommon!

I have seen 3-4 of M8 users in more than a year: that is much more than those with a (d)Hassy on the streets (0!), that's one thing for sure.

alberti

Wasn't there a Roel who seriously thrashed the M8 on this Forum? :rolleyes:

I looked up the Roel guy, who got thashed by the forum almost in one series of posts and now 'ist gesperrt' - well everybody must have a moment of fame I think.

I'm confident this 'Gesperrter Roel' could not have been the guy I saw at that party congress, happily carrying about €10k of glass and another same amount of camera, and while other photographers where bumping into each other, dumping the scene with flashes and video-floods, he got away with the best position, the best smile from the speakers (contact) and was most in control of the situation. These are exactly the reasons why I expect the camera to be more popular under photojournalists.

And about a Roel's favourate topic, an upgradable new sensor: we'll see a new body one time or another.

alberti