leolaksi

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest breverl

... maybe you should come more often to Germany ? ...

... I did not count all the Leicas I have seen here ...

... I see them every day, well, mine !

regards

Roland

Ran into a young fellow in Reims Cathedral last October who had an M6 and noticed my M8. We chatted for a while (probably disturbing the worshipers) while he proudly showed me his copy of the Super Angulon 21mm. Offered to let me try it on the M8, but I was worried about its depth and risk of touching the shutter.

Classic location for photography, needless to say.

I just know two people shooting with an M8 besides myself and one of the two is my fault since it's me that persuaded her to buy one.

I do not remember having met anybody else shooting with an M8 in the last 12 months. Lot of Canons, some Nikons and millions of compact cameras, but no M8.

At a meeting (unrelated to photography) here in Hamburg that I visited in autumn, I met someone of whom I knew that he'd been shooting with Canon SLRs in the last years. Surprisingly, he had an M8 lying next to him which he had bought a few months ago - his first Leica ever. He told me he hadn't touched his Canons much since.

(That was actually before I bought mine but at a time when I was almost sure that I wanted to buy one. His enthusiasm for the camera certainly helped me to eventually make the decision.)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ran into a guy carrying the R8 in India while exploring the grounds of the Taj Mahal.

Ran into a guy with a chrome M8 at Yankee Stadium the day of the last game there. I was wandering the stands taking pics of all the places I'd sat there and he was wandering the stands doing the same. We looked at each other, nodded and kept doing our thing.

Well, before I got my first M, I did see someone with a silver M7 while I was wandering around Harvard Square. I do live currently in Seattle, which from what I hear has a large M shooter base, but I don't think I have seen another M shooter out in the wild, so to speak. Maybe part of this is the M style of shooting...quiet, hidden, capturing moments while unseen....part of the Leica tradition of shooting without intervening in the scene with a big old SLR...

I met this guy from America when I went to Paris Leica shop. He was trying out 35/2 lens. He said he loves M8. I had mine with me and I agreed with him because I had just bought it.

But it is good to speak to some one with same passion not only photography but M8. We both had big smile on our face just talking about it.

I love my M8!

I guess it (using a film/digital M) is a lot more common here in Tokyo. Mostly Japanese, but I had one approach me asking if I was using a Luigi case, and then I also ran into an older (French) M user who commented that we still do it like the old times (I did not tell him that I was using digital). I run into an M user at least once in two weeks and most of them smile/nod and then disappear. Have only run into M8 users three times.

I guess it (using a film/digital M) is a lot more common here in Tokyo. Mostly Japanese, but I had one approach me asking if I was using a Luigi case

Ah... that must have been me. :D

Autumn last year, at Meiji Shrine?

I do see a fair number of M shooters in Tokyo, but I'm not sure if they're film or digital.

Of course, you can see a lot of M8 owners at events hosted by the Leica boutique in Ginza.

I was once shooting at night with my stealth (black) M8 and a passerby came up to me and asked: "Hey, isn't that an M8"? Maybe the shutter sound was the giveaway...?;)

Ah... that must have been me. :D

Autumn last year, at Meiji Shrine?

QUOTE]

That is correct so I am happy to make the acquaintance again. Please send me a pm if you ever want to go out one of these weekends for a shoot. I had asked to see if there was an interest in a Leica meet in Tokyo but only had two volunteers so maybe next year will be another opportunity.

One people only, for me, but was in the shop where I bought mine: I was there buying my Summarit 75, he was there complaining about what he thought to be some dead pixels on his black M8; a rather old, distinct man... he didn't appreciate much my seriously-said observation that "I bought a chrome one just for is well known that their CCDs are, meanly, of better quality" :p

Never saw a single M8 in field, till now. A lot of film Ms in past years, and (when I was younger, and single) I even tried to approach a nice young girl in Germany just for she had a M2... having my M4 in hands, that seemed to me a good starting point... no significant result followed :o