How often do you bump into someone with a M8

leolaksi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I was perusing the Border's bookstore in Singapore when I turned around and found myself face to face with someone "wearing" a chrome M8.2 (or maybe 8) with a Carl Zeiss 21mm f2.8 around his neck. I usually carry my camera on my shoulder and held in the low ready position so he never noticed me or my camera. And then in a flash, he was gone.

My question is, "how often do you bump into somebody with a M8 (or any M body for that matter)". For me, this is the first time in twenty years that I have run across another M body. Other than sales staff in camera shops. (Today I ended up talking with a salesman who spotted my Luigi half-case and wanted to take a closer look at it as he was thinking about buying one for his M3 which he proudly displayed.)

People do notice the M8 and their first comment is something like, "wow, what an antique camera. Isn't that camera made in Germany? Have you thought about getting a digital camera?" It's really hilarious and I go through the ritual of reciting my M8 mantra.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lot depends upon where you go and who you go with :)

I have bumped into a few M users in my time, and most of them are more than happy to chat about them. More film users, than M8 users, though, but that's probably because the user base for film Ms is vastly bigger than M8s.

I can only think of 1 M8 user I've bumped into, though as Andy says film M users are much more common. I know maybe a dozen M8s users personally - probably more taking into account people I've met on the various forum get togethers. I've seen far more Ms in France compared to the UK, but maybe that's down to the Paris effect (lots of tourists) and travelling more in France than in the UK.

On a slightly different tack, last summer I was stopped by a stall holder in a provincial French market and asked a number of questions about the M8. It turned out the guy had just ordered one and wanted to know how I'd found mine in use, what the image quality was like, use of filters etc. He was selling soap, I wish I'd bought some.

Actuallly I rarely run into anyone carrying any kind of camera and if I do most of them are P&S of one type or another. I have run into several people carrying film M's at affairs happening around Atlanta. I also see people with DSLR's at these affairs also but most of them have a backpack or large bag with them also. Like this guy I saw while I was walking home from a doctors appointment.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What I do get are people coming up to me asking about the Leica and once they find out it is digital, I usually tell them because they ask if I'm shooting color or B&W film (that is if I'm carying the M8 instead of one of my film M's), they say "Really". But even those are few and far between.

When I use to carry my Nikon, and backpack, no one ever came up to me to ask any questions. It was just another Nikon (SLR).

Putting this into perspective, sometime when I'm out shooting, I see someone shooting with an M8 slung over their shoulder ready for shooting, but not very often.

"In Borders", mine was in the Borders too, that's quaint.

:D

Rolo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Once in 2007 at the Goodwood Festival of speed. Thousands of people there with thousands of cameras. I saw one chap with a silver M8.

It has not happened since. If I ask someone if I can take their photograph then they usually ask about the camera. People definitely feel more relaxed when confronted with an M8 as opposed to a DSLR.

Jeff

Once in 2007 at the Goodwood Festival of speed. Thousands of people there with thousands of cameras. I saw one chap with a silver M8.

It has not happened since. If I ask someone if I can take their photograph then they usually ask about the camera. People definitely feel more relaxed when confronted with an M8 as opposed to a DSLR.

Jeff

Jeff,

I agree with you. People are definitely more relaxed when facing a M8. In fact almost no one notices it. In the old days before I retired my 5D, people were intimidated by it. Hard to take a "quiet unnoticed shot" when using a large DSLR with zoom, especially the 70-200 mm f2.8 L glass.

Well, here in Namibia I have not bumped into anyone yet with an M camera, digital or film for that matter. They are out there, but they are few and far between. Most tourists who come here have some or other SLR setup - not to mention every form of compact digital that's ever been made...

Andreas

"Is it digital?" is the reaction I most often get.

I've run across 5 or 6 M8 and M8.2 shooters in 2008. Mostly photographers who is wearing it as their second camera, but also musicians having it as their "new baby." And one M6 this year, kept in the photo bag by a photographer using two Canons and with a G10 in the bag as well.

I still find it amazing that during a one or two hour period of time three M8's were circulating around Borders in Singapore. And that each is owned by a forum member who came online and visited the forum soon thereafter. What are the chances of that?