M8 shutter 'kick' - fact or fiction?

stunsworth

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The reason would be the acceleration of the shutter while opening or closing. Does a mouse trap jump when released? Same principle. Whether the M8 does this or not I can't say.

A mousetrap might kick.

It doesn't get any heavier.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are thinking of mass, not weight. If you weigh the mousetrap while it is jumping up (good luck), you will find that it weighs no more than zero grams (and possibly less, if you can measure it). The same phenomenon takes place in an M8 when the (vertical) shutter goes off. The measured weight changes, although of course the mass stays the same. The question is if it is significant.

A mousetrap might kick.

It doesn't get any heavier.

If you had a scale that recorded and displayed the top weight of something and you stood on it then jumped up and came down on it it would register/record and display a higher number then you weigh.

What people were trying to do with the scale test was to see if the movement increased the weight of the M8 caused by inertia. Just like you would do by jumping up and down on a scale.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just installed two heavy duty rat traps in our garden shed. One has 5 grams of home-made Toscana ham attached to its killer arm, the other one has 5 grams of barely edible Safeway bologna sausage. Next to the traps is my M8, sitting on top of an electronic scale and its shutter release is rigged to fire at the exact moment of the ‘kill’. This way we’ll have both queries answered - whether the rat trap jumps (and how high) and what is the change in weight of the M8 at the instant of the exposure. As an added bonus, I’ll find out about the culinary preferences of the neighbourhood’s rodents……..

There…..

The viewfinder frame lines in my M8 jump when the shutter is fired. The jump occurs after the first curtain, as well as after the re-cock. I expect to get it fixed during the upgrade trip to New Jersey - hopefully the new frames will have more mass and the new shutter less inertia…..

I actually find the M8 a little more difficult to hand-hold than my M6 or M7. I guess the 1.33 crop changes things a little - a 90mm lens becomes as difficult to hand-hold as a 120mm lens. Whilst on film M’s I could easily shoot with the 90 down to 1/60s, it now has to be closer to 1/125s.

Best,

Jan

How many dead mice are there lying on an M shutter being released, Jaap? :D

Andy, you're clearly missing the point.

The question is whether the M8 shutter can be used to guillotine mice.

Experiments have been put on hold after some of the experimenters' shutters were found to have been damaged. :rolleyes:

(A weighty subject of great moment, of course, encompassing both weight and moment as it does.)

We might also determine the kick by suspending the camera from a string (carefully secured, of course) and seeing how it moves when a delayed shutter is activated.

Page 132, paragraph 2, section B, clearly states that "suspending the camera from a string at any time will void the warranty."

Seriously, though, I think a lot of this comes down to improper holding technique. Just today I hand held a 1/4 second shot of a friend in a restaurant and there was just a slight motion blur but it was quite acceptably sharp. I wouldn't even think of trying that with one of my DSLRs.

I think everyone has neglected to consider the "startle" factor. A cool, confident pro may be startled by the M8's shutter a time or two, but will quickly learn how to hold the camera steady despite its clatter and bang. On the other hand, even the most ardent well-heeled mortal will be incapable of taking a sharp photo at less than 125th with a 24 mm lens if he or she is the least bit twitchy.

Larry

It's interesting to see a theoretical discussion thread of vibration when everyone here actually holds at least an M8, possibly both the M8 and 8.2 also.

May I request those that have both bodies to try and TAKE some slower exposures shots, compare the shots taken and see if there is any practical difference between the 2 shutters?

On another point, one must also differentiate between vibration and sound. Wear some eye plugs then try the different shutters, you might not be able to tell the difference between the 8 and 8.2 without hearing the shutter trip.

It's interesting to see a theoretical discussion thread of vibration when everyone here actually holds at least an M8, possibly both the M8 and 8.2 also.

May I request those that have both bodies to try and TAKE some slower exposures shots, compare the shots taken and see if there is any practical difference between the 2 shutters?

On another point, one must also differentiate between vibration and sound. Wear some eye plugs then try the different shutters, you might not be able to tell the difference between the 8 and 8.2 without hearing the shutter trip.

Unfortunately eye plugs are only practical combined with Autofocus...:p