Filters for M8.2?

spersky

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm totally with Noah on this - and when I have had reflection problems they're a matter of minutes to fix with the "healing" brush in Lightroom.

Really don't worry about using filters - IMHO they're a non issue....

Case in point - a slightly extreme example with M8 / 50mm pre-asph lux + filter. Now you see it, now you don't...

Chris, I understand your personal opinion, but you did choose a non-issued picture as well (IMHO).

The reflected spot is fortunately placed in a full-dark zone, and that's easy to handle as we know.

Now, let's take a look at a couple of pictures o'mine, as you can see it's not always that easy to fix it in the same way, and these are some of the few shots still "good" for my client.

I did 96 shots that night, and I could show less than 30shots to the band. That was embarassing to me, I obviously couldn't justify myself sain' that it was up to the UV/IR filter, and the band didn't obviously repeat the show.:o

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Now, let's take a look at a couple of pictures o'mine, as you can see it's not always that easy to fix it in the same way, and these are some of the few shots still "good" for my client.

I did 96 shots that night, and I could show less than 30shots to the band. That was embarassing to me, I obviously couldn't justify myself sain' that it was up to the UV/IR filter, and the band didn't obviously repeat the show.:o

Maurizio - point taken ... ! Must admit I've never had anything as bad as that - though IMHO it doesn't actually destroy the images - there's so much artifical light bouncing around that the thing which really matters is the movement and dynamic of the band - and this you capture beautifully. #1 might not be a keeper, but #2 is a perfectly useable shot, isn't it?

Thanks Chris for your kind words,

I gave both these pictures to the band, because I considered 'em still usable, (just guess the other :o ) btw many spot (especially in the landscape oriented pictures) did a bad surprise :(

Thanks really anyway!

Ciao!

Thanks Chris for your kind words,

I gave both these pictures to the band, because I considered 'em still usable, (just guess the other :o ) btw many spot (especially in the landscape oriented pictures) did a bad surprise :(

Thanks really anyway!

Ciao!

I'd really like to see some of the shots that you think are NO good.

Really haven't you ever seen flare in some of the greatest movies ever made and in those instances they can control the lighting.

This whole thing of filter flare/spots ruining a shot is all in the head of the photographer. Just like having something unexpected show up in a image can make the shot in the photographers eye.

It's all how you look at it. Nothing in this world is perfect. The more you strive for perfection the farther away you will find yourself.

In reality what you have done by not supplying those other images to the band is taken away there artistic choice. Maybe the person/s that make those choices for the band would of liked one or some of them. You have removed that choice from them.

Would it be better not to have to use filters, YES it would.

I'd really like to see some of the shots that you think are NO good.

Really haven't you ever seen flare in some of the greatest movies ever made and in those instances they can control the lighting.

This whole thing of filter flare/spots ruining a shot is all in the head of the photographer. Just like having something unexpected show up in a image can make the shot in the photographers eye.

It's all how you look at it. Nothing in this world is perfect. The more you strive for perfection the farther away you will find yourself.

In reality what you have done by not supplying those other images to the band is taken away there artistic choice. Maybe the person/s that make those choices for the band would of liked one or some of them. You have removed that choice from them.

Would it be better not to have to use filters, YES it would.

Nothing concerning "perfection" with those shots.

Simply you can't give a shot with a blue/green spot right on the face of subject.

And that happened with almost every shot with a spotlight on the floor. No matter if the client could have loved that, I simply didn't.

I don't believe in what you say about the client's power of choice this time, sometimes is just a matter of professionalism.

BTW if I find one of those shots I'll post it here (I believe I deleted all of 'em during the PP session)

cheers

Maurizio

I appreciate all the responses. I will press on. Btw, I do love the results I get from my Canon gear, but I know I use it a lot less than I would the Rangefinder. Yeah, the whole filter issue really pissed me off originally, and I just left Leica likely never to return. I did get excited when I saw the great deal on a new m8.2. I thought I was coming back.

Regards,

Steve