Filters for M8.2?

spersky

Thanks,

I guess waiting a few more years for the M9 to come out wont hurt. My 10 tons of Canon gear will have to suffice for now:) I only hope I dont herniate a disk lugging all that gear around.

Just how do you know the M9 won't need filters like the M8?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok, I am making an assumption. If the M9 does require filters, then I wont go for it. That, alas, has been the deal breaker for me on coming back to Leica for Digital.

Not to discuss your decision process... but the filter issue isn't such a mess... put them on the lenses, don't remove, forget them... a good protection for front lenses, as used to be for many at film times (UV for color, light yellow for bw were classic... :o )

Ok, I am making an assumption. If the M9 does require filters, then I wont go for it. That, alas, has been the deal breaker for me on coming back to Leica for Digital.

If you like a rangefinder, and precisely a Leica, don't stop just because of the filters (my suggestion), it may be boring, but the camera's fun and IQ will do the rest.

Matter of fact, some they buy Canon's 5DmkII despite of those horrible black dots too.

Guest noah_addis

Are the filters really such a problem for you?

I always used uv filters as protection, so the new uv/ir filters are no problem at all. If you're worried about losing sharpness, keep in mind most other digital cameras have a thicker filter in front of the sensor, which also degrades sharpness.

If you're worried about reflections, use a good hood, since it's a cropped sensor you can even use a larger than normal hood if you desire. I have had zero problems with reflections. I don't even use hoods on my 24 and 21mm lenses, and never get objectionable flare. I have had more problems with flare and reflections with my canon gear. Not sure if it's the lenses (I use all L glass, primarily a 24/1.4) or maybe it's internal reflections from that thicker cover on the sensor.

I thought using the filters sounded annoying, but now that I've been using the M8 since May it's a non-issue. Of course I'd prefer to not use them, but if the thin cover ccd cover glass is a reason for the incredible sharpness and detail I get from the M8, then I'd say it's more than worth it.

'Absolute purists' need to get out from behind their computer screens and go out and make photographs. I've never met a working pro photographer who doesn't use protective filters anyway.

There are lots of valid reasons not to shoot with an M8, but the use of filters isn't one of them in my opinion.

I always used uv filters as protection, so the new uv/ir filters are no problem at all. If you're worried about losing sharpness, keep in mind most other digital cameras have a thicker filter in front of the sensor, which also degrades sharpness.

If you're worried about reflections, use a good hood, since it's a cropped sensor you can even use a larger than normal hood if you desire. I have had zero problems with reflections. I don't even use hoods on my 24 and 21mm lenses, and never get objectionable flare. I have had more problems with flare and reflections with my canon gear. Not sure if it's the lenses (I use all L glass, primarily a 24/1.4) or maybe it's internal reflections from that thicker cover on the sensor.

I thought using the filters sounded annoying, but now that I've been using the M8 since May it's a non-issue. Of course I'd prefer to not use them, but if the thin cover ccd cover glass is a reason for the incredible sharpness and detail I get from the M8, then I'd say it's more than worth it.

'Absolute purists' need to get out from behind their computer screens and go out and make photographs. I've never met a working pro photographers who doesn't use protective filters anyway.

I'm not an absolute purist, but I got many pictures "damaged" by filters reflections, almost exclusively shoot @ night, and that's not difficult to replicate if you try, believe me.

I found myself too many times, after shooting at some gigs, having to "delete" pictures because of filter reflection's damage.

That was embarassing to explain, you know, and no matter if you use a "good hood" as you stated, filter's reflections show up with direct light sources in your frame.

The filter is an issue to me, not so difficult to handle, but anyway boring.

Something to keep in mind when you got an important shooting session. ;)

That article is short but hilarious. So many things wrong in so few sentences. Now we know for whom the "S = stupid" mode is intended. This is definitely the "Leica M as a fashion statement" crowd.

scott

Yep, and now I'm so much cool when I think of me with my M8....:cool::D :D

I've never met a working pro photographer who doesn't use protective filters anyway.

Hi Noah,

Really? I know lots who shoot w/o filters including myself and my wife. I use them on the M8 because I must (to get what I want).

The filters aren't the end of the world but they can cause problems when one is shooting into the light. I'd rather not have them but accept them for now.

Cheers,

Sean

[...]

[...]

There are lots of valid reasons not to shoot with an M8, but the use of filters isn't one of them in my opinion.

I'm totally with Noah on this - and when I have had reflection problems they're a matter of minutes to fix with the "healing" brush in Lightroom.

Really don't worry about using filters - IMHO they're a non issue....

Case in point - a slightly extreme example with M8 / 50mm pre-asph lux + filter. Now you see it, now you don't...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm not an absolute purist, but I got many pictures "damaged" by filters reflections, almost exclusively shoot @ night, and that's not difficult to replicate if you try, believe me.

I found myself too many times, after shooting at some gigs, having to "delete" pictures because of filter reflection's damage.

That was embarassing to explain, you know, and no matter if you use a "good hood" as you stated, filter's reflections show up with direct light sources in your frame.

The filter is an issue to me, not so difficult to handle, but anyway boring.

Something to keep in mind when you got an important shooting session. ;)

I totally quote Maurizio, the filters reflections damages the picture taken in low ambient light with bright spot in the frame and very often in nitelight situations I had to remove the filter in order to avoid bad multiple reflections.

I also think that the IR cut filters coating enhance the reflections more than the uv ones; I never had so hard reflections with uv filters on film M cameras.

Cheers

Guido Wilhelm

Guest noah_addis
Hi Noah,

Really? I know lots who shoot w/o filters including myself and my wife. I use them on the M8 because I must (to get what I want).

Sean

I stand corrected, though my statement was factual. I've never met you;). Still, if I'm using a $3000+ lens under rough conditions, I think a protective filter is cheap insurance.

I don't have examples handy but I've had reflections such as the one Chris posted from other digital cameras. I always thought, though have no confirmation, that it was due to the reflectivity of the sensor or cover glass. The canon cameras do it in certain situations, though the 5d seems better than the 1DMKII, and the Nikon D1 series was particularly prone to show reflections and flare.

edit: guidowi--I've never had that kind of reflection with film, and I've always used protective filters. I think some of the reflections are inherent to digital since the sensor, even with a thinner cover glass, is more reflective than film.

In low light situations, there will certainly be reflections if there are bright light sources in the image, as in Chris' post.

I've had some pix ruined this way, but the majority of the time, the filter is causing no problems.

My stupid assistant ruins more pictures than the hardware does. :)