Upgrade-options/Prices in €

Shutter/Sapphire glass/Bright line frames 2000,- EUR

Shutter/Sapphire glass 1700,- EUR

Shutter/Bright line frames 1500,- EUR

Sapphire glass/Bright line frames 1450,- EUR

Bright line frames 1000,- EUR

Shutter 1200,- EUR

Sapphire glass 1150,- EUR

The stated prices include VAT and are valid ex Solms. Regional differences to these tariffs are possible.

:eek:

That €2000 figure is up from €1400!

You'll draw your own conclusions. My own is that M8.2 sales are flat or falling and they've found too many people are happy to upgrade their M8s instead of buying the new camera. Not surprising when you consider how little it overs over the upgraded M8.

I don't think the conclusions can be drawn that clearly, or do you have access to Leica's boardroom?

But yes - woops! And possibly prohibitive.

I just paid 1450 Euro for frames/glass/shutter/express/shipping, including VAT, so it is a hefty increase.:eek:

On the other hand it just added a considerable number of Euro's to the value of my camera :D

I don't think the conclusions can be drawn that clearly, or do you have acces to Leica's boardroom?

Of course not but, you know me, always happy to venture my oh-so-humble opinion... :D

Lots of possible reasons:

- We need the revenue

- There's more work required than expected

- The warranty cost may be higher than expected

- The Euro is weak against the Japanese Yen

- The punters aren't behaving as we expected

- Inflation in Germany, according to one forecast someone in the finance department was told by someone who "knows", will reach 40% next year.

for soem reason I never can find teh update program on the Leica sites

they hide it very well apperntly of use some real Leica logic on where to put it :rolleyes:

You have to go to Service then Service & Repair then scroll down to near the bottom of the page to M8 Upgrade Service then if you want the USA site & Prices you have to hit another link.

It will be interesting to find out if the upgrade that I scheduled with Leica for week 3 of next year will be at the old or the new price. If it's gonna be the new one, I'll will skip it completely.

Leica with it's erratic behaviour in pricing and marketing decisions is starting to move towards my "non reliable company" marker - not that they will care about that, but in my over 2 year "career" as M8 early adopter I went through so many ups and downs that I am starting to get tired with it.

Great and flawed product, greatly flawed company behind it.

Of course not but, you know me, always happy to venture my oh-so-humble opinion... :D

Lots of possible reasons:

- We need the revenue

- There's more work required than expected

- The warranty cost may be higher than expected

- The Euro is weak against the Japanese Yen

- The punters aren't behaving as we expected

- Inflation in Germany, according to one forecast someone in the finance department was told by someone who "knows", will reach 40% next year.

Add to the list "lost the plot" .In the real world you can not sustain that level of price increase unless Leica do in fact live in a differant one.I just think that level of increase is silly.Either they did the sums wrong in the first place or have decided to milk the market for all they can.

Brian

I decided to uptrade rather than to upgrade.

Last Friday, I ordered a second, brandnew M8 body from Robert White in the UK, and received it already yesterday, net cost after rebate USD 2885, including shipping to the USA. The GBP - USD exchange rate, Leica rebate, no VAT and attractive pricing by the dealer made this purchase a great value for the money.

I might sell my used M8 (since Jan 07) after the rebate program is gone, at a price close to what I payed for the new body. The warranty alone, is worth the few dollars I might lose between the two trades.

In comparison, the prices for upgrades look prohibitive.

that is an insane price increase...absolutely idiocy, its over 30%. I have no idea how they can justify that? To few sales on the 8.2 and too many upgrades maybe? Just too many upgrades so they decided they can get more money out of it

I must say I was considering the bright lines and saphir but I'm off that now for good :mad:

I wonder why I keep loyal to them, with each contact they anoy me more and more. Maybe because it is the most compact camera that provides DSLR quality, but my god, I wish there was an true alternative

I decided to uptrade rather than to upgrade.

Last Friday, I ordered a second, brandnew M8 body from Robert White in the UK, and received it already yesterday, net cost after rebate USD 2885, including shipping to the USA. The GBP - USD exchange rate, Leica rebate, no VAT and attractive pricing by the dealer made this purchase a great value for the money.

I might sell my used M8 (since Jan 07) after the rebate program is gone, at a price close to what I payed for the new body. The warranty alone, is worth the few dollars I might lose between the two trades.

In comparison, the prices for upgrades look prohibitive.

Have fun shipping it back to either the UK or to Germany for any service or being charged by Leica USA for any service.

Leica wants to stop the upgrade program and start selling more M8.2. So how do you do that, raise the prices on all upgrades.

So Leica wants out of the upgrade system and wants to avoid legal hassles. So raise the price to the point of impossibility..... Does it mean there will be a major improvement in the pipeline, one that might be considered upgradable but that they want to reserve for a new model? Sensor? (Starting the rumour mill here :D)

Leica wants to stop the upgrade program and start selling more M8.2. So how do you do that, raise the prices on all upgrades.

Which translates to "could we please have all M8.1 owners line up here to receive their complimentary buttkick".

It's kind of sad, but would fit in the pattern of emotional rollercoastering over the last 2 years.