new upgrade prices

pat hattori

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi. I was not wishing making any upgrade on my two M8, but if i had only still one inch of hesitation, now it's definitive. No upgrade at all !

I even begin to think about my dreams of the S2. By such an insane commercial politic, i do probably look somewhere else for a digital MF. Thanx.

Jaap, I've heard the shutter on a couple of M8.2s and it was noticably quieter than the one in my M8. It wasn't just the same sound, but quieter, there was much less of a KerChunk sound as the shutter was re-cocked..
As i do not take a picture of a sleeping lion, and never will, i think i don't care. :D

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im HAPPY for those price increases. It is just perfect and it comed at right time.

I feel much pity for leica technicians who have to do such worthless works for upgrading when you can buy M8,2 instead.

More M8,2 sales, thank you, the clever management. Kudos!!

I'm so angry over this!

I have two M8s and was going to get both fully upgraded. I was also in line to purchase a 21mm Summilux and later maybe the 24mm Summilux. None of that's going to happen now, I refuse to invest in Leica any more.

The original teething problems, level of service and continued price increases in the present financial climate are just too much. The upgrade increase was made without so much as a warning.

Bob.

I'm actually quite annoyed there was no warning of this as despite my "hot air and broken promises" assertion that I was done with Leica, I've recently relented (being the spineless turn-coat I am) …

I have relented also, and ordered a 28 cron having vowed to not buy anymore Leica M until I know more about where they are headed. Have you taken a look at the Euro prices on German websites, they seem enormous in Pound terms?

Jeff

The upgrade increase was made without so much as a warning.

Bob.

I suppose there is a rational to this decision as far as 'in factory' work is concerned. But if you were planning an upgrade nearer to when your warranty runs out it is rather hard to stomach. I was never going to do the upgrade because I would want it for both bodies and even at the old prices that was too much.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It seems there is noting wrong with lens sales, I ordered a 21 Summilux.

But did Leica do so much wrong with this price hike as perceived in their home country? I doubt it; on the German M8 forum: not even a thread on the subject:rolleyes:

I suppose there is a rational to this decision as far as 'in factory' work is concerned. But if you were planning an upgrade nearer to when your warranty runs out it is rather hard to stomach. I was never going to do the upgrade because I would want it for both bodies and even at the old prices that was too much.

Jeff

It is not needed to wait for the guarantee to run its course; the extra year is added to the existing two years.

yes that must mean a significant increase in Leica income

:D

nobody can recall that the initial updates without the framelines was also about 1400... who has the initial mail of the updates?

Point being± not just me. The order book appears to look quite healthy.

I have relented also, and ordered a 28 cron having vowed to not buy anymore Leica M until I know more about where they are headed. Have you taken a look at the Euro prices on German websites, they seem enormous in Pound terms?

Jeff

Sad to say, the UK is overdue for a hefty price increase because of the collapsing pound and as the saying goes, everything comes to he who waits. There are some viscious UK price rises coming in January.

To show the problem, look at the new Noctilux, €7995 including tax, €6718 before tax. In the US, Adorama are showing this at $9995 + tax (where applicable) which implies a Euro-USD Exchange rate of $1.49 = €1. Currently, it's $1.38 = €1, so the Noctilux is about 8% overpriced in the US.

Compare that with the UK where the ex-VAT price of the Noctilux is £5353 which implies a Euro-GBP Exchange rate of €1.25 = £1. Currently, it's €1.11 = £1 so the lens in the UK is underpriced by 11%.

My understanding is that the January increase for the new lenses - none of which are shipping yet - is a few % only but that some of the other lenses are in line for very large increases which will leave the 50mm f2.5 Summarit as the only lens less than £1000.

And all those bunch of idiots who have bought the first M8 two years ago, make beta testing after having paid hard money, cry about the issues. Now they can just f....off ?

Haven't regretted buying the M8 for a second, never thought of myself as an idiot either. The camera takes photographs today that are just as good as they were the day I bought it. If it stopped working tomorrow I'd buy another without a second thought.

Luckily I'm a quiet man again, I'm out of the drug frenzy. I have all the lenses I wanted, have the upgrade I wanted done, have a warranty for the next two years. That's game over to me. From now on I will just take pictures and don't worry. I will think again about tossing money when the M9 or M10 will come out. And only if it will be worth it.

Yeah!

And all those bunch of idiots who have bought the first M8 two years ago, make beta testing after having paid hard money, cry about the issues. Now they can just f....off ?

That's right ?

I think my learning in this case is that I wouldn't buy a new M right away, instead wait for a year to grab it once the first price reduction wave kicks in.

Interesting how the camera went from "an upgradable plattform and sound invest in the future" to red haired step child within a year. Or wasn't it even a full year?

Well, I have made up my mind - I'm gonna cancel my update completely and keep the M8 as it is. Worked for me over two years, will so for hopefully another two, then I consider it "paid off" and probably move to something else if cash burns in my pockets. :D

Here's a spreadsheet of the new costs against the old, also showing the cost of each upgrade plus the overhead charge for labour, warranty and logistics.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As you can see, they've pretty much applied an arbitrary 50% increase across the board. Perhaps they needed to fund the Christmas Party...