new upgrade prices

pat hattori

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And yes, car companies, like most consumer product manufacturers, use focus groups everyday to effectively understand their customer base and manage their businesses. Why not Leica? Please don't tell me they are too small to afford it. I've run focus groups before and the cost was minimal, while the results were invaluable. .

Peugeot did many focus groups yet the marketing manager was part of the Peugeot family so in the end, his opinion was stronger than the focus group outputs ... probably the same in Leica with Mr Kaufmann ...

Sorry, have to disagree. One of the most-touted advantages of the M range over, say, an SLR is the discretion it allows the photographer. That's very largely what drew me to the M8 in the first place – that and image quality. Unfortunately (for me) I bought the camera without trying it out: I had read reviews, and trusted them, and I trusted Leica to have done a good job. I really wasn't expecting the shutter to turn heads and make people recoil in horror. I really, really wasn't expecting people to say, "Jeez, Guy, could you have got a louder camera?!"

So much for my discrete portraiture fantasy.

So for me the shutter "upgrade" is an obligation in as much as it apparently turns the M8 into the camera it should have been in the first place. Not that I can tell, of course, because The Classic Camera won't let me try an upgraded shutter or an M8.2 because my fingerprints will render them unsaleable. As the kids would say, WTF? But I was prepared to take this on trust, too. God I'm stupid sometimes. And then the price hike arrived, and I began to realise that in fact even I can only be pushed so far... :(

yeah, maybe you feel to be forced to have silent shutter instead of feeling obliged? so if you feel that you are forced, I assume you'd afford M8.2 no matter what costs?

my point is that m8.2 are available now so it is better to uptrade instead of upgrade if the difference of $$ and features are negligible.

I think that selling new M8 and get people upgrade for frameline is waste of resources. That's why we see increases of prices. Keeping Leica workforce unneffectively is expensive.

Leica now is not same before. We could put a lot of trust to mechanical quality but not anymore now when we are in the new digital age (it looks exciting but very obseessing like a heavy drug).

Because the dealers and Leica are stuck with a bunch of unsold stock and need to clear them out. The original M8 is not being made anymore. I will bet money on that. Once the remaining units are sold that will be it and we will only have the M8.2, until the arrival of the M9.

Lets hope. I would like to see M8.2 as cheaper alternative to M9.

The two 1.4 wides and the new .95 Noct spell a commitment to full frame, weather it is digital or analogue, at least to me it does. If another couple years go by and the 1.33 crop is still the best they can do, then *maybe* we might see M8 / 1.33 specific Leica glass

I dont believe that crap.! It is such waste of time for companies like Leica.

Let toy companies to do it and feed greedy mouths.

Leica glasses are not to play around, those are for adults :D

I'll continue using my M8 until the very day when Leica or someone else comes out with a FF M-lens RF of similar form factor and correspondingly better image quality. For now, I can only shake my head at the mess they are (yet again) making of themselves.

I might add that I am excited about the prospects the Micro-4/3 format has. This is exactly what Leica should have used as the basis of a digital CL. If people here really want to invest in their existing M lenses they should look into cameras like the Pana G1 and an M lens adapter. Costs only a fraction of those stupid M8 upgrades and gives you a whole new platform to play with.