Very good upgrade service from Solms

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Turnaround slightly over a week, very good communication, customer friendly ( I got offered Vulcanite, as I had leather on the camera, but I declined and have replaced the leather already), even a personal mail from mrs. Brand informing me that my camera was on its way back and that "all was well"with the camera.

On the shutter upgrade: I do not find it much more silent than my other camera, but then I sent in the noisiest one, the other one was much more silent to begin with, but the low frequencies and the slam seem to have been eliminated. It sounds lighter.

Framelines nice, but I only had them done as the camera was in Solms anyway, the quartz is more of an upgrade than I expected, it makes the LCD more precise to view.

I wish I was that lucky.

They sent me camera back with new shutter and same shutter recocking problem.

They forgot to send 1.25 magnifier with it, and the dates on the warranty were wrong....

Then I have to wait for January to send them the camera for the third time over the same problem. They also did not have a replacement camera, did not reply to emails for a week, and when called seemed uninterested, like it is normal thing to send a broken camera back...for a couple of times.

On the other hand -focus is fine, shutter i like, framelines well adjusted, they did it (good and bad) quickly.

All that is left is for them to take it apart again, clean magnets again, and send it to me again with a latent problem of shutter recocking. Would not expect it from even worst service dep...

Well, I call you lucky.

My advice to all: be careful with Solms service.

Still loving my M8 (in spite)

Where does the magnifier come in?? You are supposed to send the camera without accesories. I must admit I did not get any warranty on paper with it, so I don't know about dates, but as everything is recorded in Solms I have never sent in a camera with warranty papers and it never was a problem.

......as everything is recorded in Solms I have never sent in a cameraa with warranty papers and it never was a problem.

As my dealer, a well known Shop (yes, I write that with a capital S) in Amsterdam confirms. And legally I only have to, and can, deal with my dealer, my sales-receipt being the only relevant document.

Black booklets, chitties, passports etc: bof (as they say in France) ! :D

1.25 as sent along for rubber ring to be fitted again (it fell off).

Well they sent me filled card, with warranty one year from upgrade, instead of...and yes I also never sent the card, only a scan of the purchase bill (they were kind enough to accept it).

I have a feeling that they are under lot of pressure, it seems to me that M8 is a service nightmare to them...and to me.

I am sure at one thing- this is the last thing I expected when I purchased into M System- it has a aureola of a reliability...

It is interesting that similar things happened to me 7-8 years ago with Hasselblad 503, but later it performed flawlessly.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That rubber ring will fall of again, I guarantee you....:o

They are under a legal obligation to accept your purchese bill, so no problem there.

The upgrade service is done by a separate team, and does not interact with they rest of the service planning. That is why you have to book the upgrade to make sure you get your camera returned quickly. I hope it works out this time - I can give you one helpful hint: picking up the telephone and talking to them is very effective...

Thanks.

I am sure that they are good people over there, it is just that cicumstances were like this for me- i was unlucky.

On the other hand, this should not happen, and when it does i wish I had more feedback from them, even some compensation in fact.

I spoke to mrs. Frankl- she agreed that taking the camera apart again is expensive for them and for me, all for a probably cheap part- shutter lock.

Oh, i forgot- the most upsetting thing for me is that when informed by estimate that magnets of the shutter lock are to be cleaned, i wrote to them asking that they take special care and that it should be probably replaced, since it has unsuccessfully repaired already, and not just cleaned....it came back in same condition as before.

Mistery to me.