Finally, bought an M8!

Guest JasonG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Evening all,

Yesterday I went and bought myself a shiney new chrome M8 with a Summicron 50 as the deal available was just too good to turn away. :D

Took a few pictures this afternoon and I'm very pleased, particularly with how film-like the handling seems and the signature of the Summicron.

However, sitting down to sign in to the Leica website to order a filter or two and then intending to sort out the Passport and warranty paperwork I noticed something disturbing. The serial number on the box, papers, etc (3200081) is a bit earlier than I had expected for a new body but, assuming all is well, it shouldn't be a major problem anyway. WHere the problem started was that the Leica registration site rejected the serial as "invalid or already in use", or somesuch. Checking the serial number again, more carefully, I noticed that the camera's number is different, at 3200881! I'm guessing that it is some sort of transcription error by Leica at the factory but this is going to make warranty, Passport and filters rather difficult, especially as neither serial is accepted by the website.

Hohum, I guess it's back to the dealer on Monday with everything in boxes, hoping he's got another chrome one in stock!

/me wanders off, muttering and mumbling.

Tra

Jason

Hi Jason,

Congratulations on your new M8 and welcome to the forum. Hope you have tremendous fun with your M8. I would not worry about the serial number too much in terms of it being an earlier number. From what members have posted here on the forum, Leica does not make use of sequential numbers.

The serial number is on the flash hot shoe. On the assembly line, flash hot shoes are in a large box, and the person working on the line, simply pulls one out and uses it - they do not check which number it is - so serial numbers are pretty random. Only an email to the factory will be able to tell you exactly when the camera was assembled.

I agree with Jaap above, if the camera is working fine and focus is spot on, then send Leica an email with your serial number problem and see what they come back with. If, on the other hand, the camera has backfocus or other issues, then have the dealer change it.

Andreas

Morning!

Indeed, as there are no issues with the camera other than the serial number, I'll speak to the dealer on Monday and see what they say. I don't really want to change the camera for a black one and I understand that there are not a lot of chrome ones around at the moment. If they can sort it out with Leica so that I get my warranty, passport and filters sorted then I'll be happy.

tra

Jason...off to take a few in town this morning :o

Guest noah_addis

Congratulations!

Assuming you can get the serial number conflict straightened out, which should be no problem, I wouldn't worry about the fact that the serial number is lower than you expected.

My first M8 also had a lower number than I expected when I bought it in May. But I've had zero problems with it and none of the bugs that showed up in the very early models.

I've ordered a second M8. The prices right now are too good to pass up. The new price differential between the M8 and M8.2 makes the latter seem like a lot more money for a camera with the same sensor and same image quality.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

However, sitting down to sign in to the Leica website to order a filter or two and then intending to sort out the Passport and warranty paperwork I noticed something disturbing. The serial number on the box, papers, etc (3200081) is a bit earlier than I had expected for a new body but, assuming all is well, it shouldn't be a major problem anyway. WHere the problem started was that the Leica registration site rejected the serial as "invalid or already in use", or somesuch. Checking the serial number again, more carefully, I noticed that the camera's number is different, at 3200881! I'm guessing that it is some sort of transcription error by Leica at the factory but this is going to make warranty, Passport and filters rather difficult, especially as neither serial is accepted by the website.

I had the same problem. One of the numbers was transposed. But the Leica site let me register my camera anyway . . . and sent me my two filters. So I am keeping all my paperwork. I suspect someone else will have a problem registering their camera one of these days.

Guest breverl

... I think the easiest way is to get directly in contact with Leica ...

... sure there will be no problem at all ...

... I bought mine in august new serial no. 3199xxx ...

... till now no real problem at all ...

... good luck with the M8 ...

regards

roland

Afternoon all,

Well, an update on the serial number thing...a nice chap from Leica phoned me this morning (after I had popped into the dealer on my way to work) to tell me that everything is being sorted out and I should submit the paperwork as normal. :D

Kudos to Leica UK for sorting it out so painlessly.

Additionally, he said that he had a number of these sorts of issues to sort out recently, so I wasn't alone in having serial-number-related problems.

After this, I guess I'll get back to taking some photos. :cool:

Tra

Jason

Afternoon all,

Well, an update on the serial number thing...a nice chap from Leica phoned me this morning (after I had popped into the dealer on my way to work) to tell me that everything is being sorted out and I should submit the paperwork as normal. :D

Kudos to Leica UK for sorting it out so painlessly.

Additionally, he said that he had a number of these sorts of issues to sort out recently, so I wasn't alone in having serial-number-related problems.

After this, I guess I'll get back to taking some photos. :cool:

Tra

Jason

Glad to hear it is getting sorted. IIRC I haven't seen to many M8's with a 32xxxxx serial number. Most that I've seen or read about have all started with 31.

This could be the problem because one end of Leica has NO idea what the other end is doing.