Advice on 75 mm lens

offshore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Actually it's interesting that Rafael mentions the 75 'cron's short focus throw (90 degrees turn of the lens barrel from infinity to .7 meters).

This is actually, IMHO the worst feature to the lens (and also applies to the Summarit).

A short focus throw means a big shift in focus for very small movements of the focus ring, and I have personally determined that this is why I have such unpredictable focus issues with the 75 ASMA, whereas I have fewer problems with an old 1980 90 f/2, even though it has less DOF, because it also has a full 180 degrees of travel to focus from infinity to 1 meter.

Even my 50mm f/2 has a longer focus throw (110 degrees roughly) than the 75s 90 degrees.

Breath hard on the 75 'cron's focus ring and it will move enough to noticeably defocus the image. Frustrating - because it is a very nice lens otherwise, but ends up being a $3295 mediocrity in the majority of pictures. I know - I've bought and then dumped this lens at least 6 times since it was introduced.

Otherwise I agree with Rafael - the 50 and 90 have better framelines than the 75, and on the M8, "50 is the new 75".

this is a good point.

the long throw of the 75 lux makes it a joy to use for fast moving objects.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

adan You said, "Actually it's interesting that Rafael mentions the 75 'cron's short focus throw (90 degrees turn of the lens barrel from infinity to .7 meters)."

You nailed it. I hadn't thought about that. But, that is exactly the problem I had with the 75 cron. It wasn't that the lens was rotten, I just had a hard time focusing it and that is exactly why. Now, throw in the fact that it was so close to the 50mm lux I have and that explains why I just couldn't get into that lens.

Again, when the lux is judged on focal length and DOF and bokeh and whatever it was fantastic and the cron is great for what it brings. And, that is why those that can master the focus difficulty love the lenses, I guess.

Maybe when I have more experience with the M8 I'll try the 75mm lenses again. I have to say that while I had the 75 lux I did take one of the best and most dreamy pictures of my wife. I do get what people love about their 75s.

Scott beautiful pic of the circus that photo alone would make me favor the cron. The Summarit shots are good but to me lack the punch (an undefinable photographic term probably more subjective than anything) and focusing is an issue since my eyes are not what they once were (considering lasik on the right eye and maybe this is where I should put the money) and the thoughts on the 50 as the new 75 are valid but I was feeling too close to my subjects this last trip to Mexico with a 50 and I think it showed in there expressions. I know that many folks like Voigtlander lenses and I do agree that they are a good value but I do not like them, that's just a personal preference and not a slam on them. The new Zeiss 85 that's made in Germany also sounds interesting but I've not read anything on it yet. Leaning more favorably to the cron but soooo confused. Thanks again everyone for taking the time to post I really appreciate the input here.:D

I think I've shown this one before, but here's what the Summicron 75, wide open, produced for me from 10 rows up in the stands at the Barnum and Bailey circus:

87275075.jpg

(it's also in the "any Eyes" book. I found a paperback copy, delivered all the way to Jerusalem, on our return here this fall.

scott

Scott, glad you got your book! I also like the circus pic; it looks really good in the book.

I would consider a 90mm Tele Elmarit made in the late 1970's to early 1980's. I just bought one on ebay for $245 US dollars in LIKE NEW condition (ULTRA MINT NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!!). Portraits taken with this are super sharp and have wonderful tonal range. 90mm is close enough to 75mm that the photos taken would not be to different.

By the way, I bought my lens on ebay from a seller that specialized in antique watches, not camera stuff. See who is selling. If it is from a seller that just has an item to sell and is not a Leica or camera dealer , you can make a killing on price!!!!!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Actually it's interesting that Rafael mentions the 75 'cron's short focus throw (90 degrees turn of the lens barrel from infinity to .7 meters).

This is actually, IMHO the worst feature to the lens (and also applies to the Summarit).

A short focus throw means a big shift in focus for very small movements of the focus ring, and I have personally determined that this is why I have such unpredictable focus issues with the 75 ASMA, whereas I have fewer problems with an old 1980 90 f/2, even though it has less DOF, because it also has a full 180 degrees of travel to focus from infinity to 1 meter.

Even my 50mm f/2 has a longer focus throw (110 degrees roughly) than the 75s 90 degrees.

Breath hard on the 75 'cron's focus ring and it will move enough to noticeably defocus the image. Frustrating - because it is a very nice lens otherwise, but ends up being a $3295 mediocrity in the majority of pictures. I know - I've bought and then dumped this lens at least 6 times since it was introduced.

Otherwise I agree with Rafael - the 50 and 90 have better framelines than the 75, and on the M8, "50 is the new 75".

An interesting and valid point about the short throw contributing to focus inaccuracy. I never noticed a problem but can see how it could easily be one.

I first picked a 75 because, that focal length, ... that slight telephoto focal length; for me added a "quality", or aspect, to photos taken with it, of ... and this is only my feeling ... a quality of velocity. Visual acceleration. A mild telephoto visual impact.

The 90 enters a flat "poster" quality visual area, which has impact, yes, but of a more sedate kind than a 75.

I got my 75 when I had my MP's, and never used it with an M8 My 50 now is my 75. It's the focal length, I guess I love most. sorry to get so artsy.....

this is the 75 on the MP

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I found out that a step and a half closer and you have got your 75. Go with the 90mm and you 'll have a better 2 lens kit and you'll be set up to get the 28 cron... which will end up on the camera most of the time anyway.

I'll save you the time of all of my bad neophyte posts... 28/50/90.

Just my 2 cents/pence worth after 2 glasses of wine :o

Fully agree on that. I found that the 90 SAA has so much character, that it can't beaten by any 75, not even by the Summilux 75 which I always loved and adored because of that.

I had the 2nd generation 75 'Lux but sold it to a gentleman in Canada the same month the 75 'Cron was announced, before we heard even early whispers about the M8.

The Summilux has a very particular and pleasing signature -- especially full open -- but it was always TOO heavy and, to me, always felt cumbersome when used on my M7. (And I have big hands too.)

The 75mm Summicron is my tele of choice on the M8. I don't miss the much heavier and bulkier 75mm Summilux.

-g

Based on what I've read and the images I've seen posted I purchased a like new 75 mm F2 asph. Summicron. Thank you all again for your input and I will post after I receive it and get a chance to use it.:D

Good choice! Perhaps you try the new 1,4-magnifier; it helps a lot for longer lenses.

75 Summicron; f: 1:2; ca. 75 cm:

Offshore --

I consider my 75 Cron more of an "isolating" lens than a "reaching" lens. Here's a photo I was doing some PP on yesterday. It is cropped about 5 percent off full frame. Sorry it might looked washed out -- I'm struggling between what looks good on screen versus what looks good out of the printer. (This "washed out" file actually printed up nicely.)

Hi, Bill. I'd love to see some action shots. I remember last winter there was some discussion of shooting basketball from courtside and RobSteve showed shots using a Noctilux in which he follow-focused as the players drove to the basket. Did you try to follow, or focus on the floor and shoot when the players got there?

scott

Scott, here are a few -- all with the 50 lux-a.

All are shot at 1/250, iso 640, and prob f2.0

Offshore --

I consider my 75 Cron more of an "isolating" lens than a "reaching" lens. Here's a photo I was doing some PP on yesterday. It is cropped about 5 percent off full frame. Sorry it might looked washed out -- I'm struggling between what looks good on screen versus what looks good out of the printer. (This "washed out" file actually printed up nicely.)

Hi Gordon and thanks for the pic. If your not already try saving your jpegs "for webwork" in photoshop. I was having a problem with mine, when posting, and someone suggested I try that over saving them as jpeg's. It is a choice when you click on file to save. I was referring to working distance to subject when I posted this inquiry. When I was photographing children, in Mexico, I noticed that my working distance to them with the 50 cron seemed to be in their zone of discomfort. I know I could move back and crop in but trying to work in a crowd sometimes makes it difficult to move around. When I brought up the 75 screen, in those circumstances, and moved back a couple of steps the children seemed to relax a little more and look at me instead of looking at their parents with that "get me outa here" look. Thanks again!:D

You asked about the 75's as portrait lenses on the M8. The 75/1.4 is my absolute favorite portrait lens. It's probably my second most used lens on the M8, after the 35/1.4. Here is a portrait with the 75/1.4 and M8:

080201_326_0162

Sorry, I still haven't figured out how to include photos in the message. The attach button doesn't seem to work for me.

Tina

Tina Manley- powered by SmugMug

Beautiful light on that shot, Tina. Did you have a reflector or was there some bright sand in the foreground?

Doug

Thanks, Doug. Neither. It was brilliant afternoon light in rural India. I think it would have been too harsh without the veil shading her face. Here is another one made at the same time in the same light, but I prefer the first for her expression:

080201_326_0163-1

Also the 75/1.4 on the M8.

Tina

You could do a study just on those hands in the second shot, couldn't you!

Apologies to all for straying OT... but these shots called out for comment.

Back on topic, I've had the 75mm summicron asph for over a year now, and am still learning how to use it. I love the look it provides, but I find it much more challenging to use than shorter focal lengths. Perhaps because it gives you little latitude for mistakes in composition.

You asked about the 75's as portrait lenses on the M8. The 75/1.4 is my absolute favorite portrait lens. It's probably my second most used lens on the M8, after the 35/1.4. Here is a portrait with the 75/1.4 and M8:

080201_326_0162

Sorry, I still haven't figured out how to include photos in the message. The attach button doesn't seem to work for me.

Tina

Lovely portrait Tina. i share your passion for the 75 lux, also my favorite portrait lens, including my Nikon choices like the 85/1.4 and 105/2.0. To post an image in the thread, paste the URL in the "insert image" box, BUT add .jpg at the end the the url. best...Peter

IMHO, the 75 'cron works admirably for action/sports photography. It is reasonably compact for its focal length and handles well. The main downside is the "inaccurate" framelines on the M8.0 (discussed ad nausea elsewhere on the Forum) which I personally can live with.

See a shot from the 2008 NYC Marathon:

attachment.php?attachmentid=117645&stc=1&d=1229530367

This is slightly cropped to eliminate dead air at the top.