[Survey]: dead pixels

arthury

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is a survey to have a feel for how many of you have experienced dead/faulty pixels in your M8's CCD sensor.

If you have seen a bright pixel in your image that occurs in the same spot of the frames you saw, then you have a bad pixel. These are a lot more visible if you have really dark background or if you shoot an empty frame in a room without light.

Please respond. Thanks!

I have one as well. Developed about a year after I bought it. Above ISO 1250 it turns into a blue line on the LCD screen. However, Aperture seems to map it (dot and/or line) out about 90% of the time in processing. Will too have it repaired under warranty when I send my camera in for new shutter.

Had one on a brand new replacement black M8, it was also a line.

Sensor was changed, fixed the line. Then I had to send it in again to get the rangefinder readjusted because Leica NJ can't take the time to CHECK the cameras they ship back to customer.

I've not noticed a dead pixel, but a few days ago I did have a couple of high ISO images with a thin blue line running through the middle. It was, however, only on two of about 15 images and I've not been able to recreate it under similar conditions. I don't know if this is the same thing you experienced or not.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've not noticed a dead pixel, but a few days ago I did have a couple of high ISO images with a thin blue line running through the middle. It was, however, only on two of about 15 images and I've not been able to recreate it under similar conditions. I don't know if this is the same thing you experienced or not.

Brent, if you zoom in on the thin blue line while watching it on your camera's LCD and then move over it. Every time you move the position you will see the picture being build up or rendered. I'm almost sure you will discover the hot or dead pixel, I'm afraid.

Brent, if you zoom in on the thin blue line while watching it on your camera's LCD and then move over it. Every time you move the position you will see the picture being build up or rendered. I'm almost sure you will discover the hot or dead pixel, I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, I don't have the blue line shots on my SD card anymore, and I can't seem to get it to reappear when shooting under the identical circumstances. Maybe I'll try the empty frame in a dark room.

I had what seemed like a hot pixel which then disappeared, a phenomenon others here have experienced.

That must be what happened to me. I've now done all manner of tests at 2500 ISO and the shots are very clean and clear of any lines. In fact, the only thing I've convinced myself of is that the M8 does a pretty fair job at high ISO settings.

I had what seemed like a hot pixel which then disappeared, a phenomenon others here have experienced.

So did I, complete with red line. A few shots later it disappeared:confused: Maybe there is some sort of auto-sensor mapping.

Mine appeared a couple months ago, a blue pixel and line above 640. However the line is there actually at all ISO's it is just very very hard to see at 160. It comes up mostly in areas of thin exposure.

Not visible in prints up to 11x17 afaik.

Am going to get it fixed under warranty with the upgrades if NJ ever calls.

It is intermittent, sometimes it goes away, but always comes back.

What is disappointing is that even if it is fixed under warranty, what happens a year from now? Two years?

a pita is what it is.

Mine appeared a couple months ago, a blue pixel and line above 640. However the line is there actually at all ISO's it is just very very hard to see at 160. It comes up mostly in areas of thin exposure.

Not visible in prints up to 11x17 afaik.

Am going to get it fixed under warranty with the upgrades if NJ ever calls.

It is intermittent, sometimes it goes away, but always comes back.

What is disappointing is that even if it is fixed under warranty, what happens a year from now? Two years?

a pita is what it is.

This line problem is so widely documented that I expect Leica to fix it at there expense anytime it occurs. It is a fault in the sensor. As I stated before I had it on a brand NEW camera. How it got past the QC check (Oh wait there is no QC check), never mind.