C-Lux 3 Menu Problem

hmh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!

Since a few weeks I have a Leica c-Lux3. Very easy to use and compact camera which takes excellent pictures.

I have only one problem:confused:

When I turn on the camera, it is always in snapshot mode. I would prefer the Programm mode. But snapshot is default. Or did I miss something in the manual?

Or is it a firmware issue?

lG

hmh

Wien

Hello!

Hi!

Since a few weeks I have a Leica c-Lux3. Very easy to use and compact camera which takes excellent pictures.

I have only one problem:confused:

When I turn on the camera, it is always in snapshot mode. I would prefer the Programm mode. But snapshot is default. Or did I miss something in the manual?

You did not miss anything.

It works as designed. From a call to Leica, I was informed, that this is a feature and marketing driven (target group is femal, 50+).

My girl friend - exactly inside the traget group - has rejected it after two day of use, so I exchanged it for her to a Pana FX37 and returned the C-Lux 3.

Difference, watched after 80 images from C-Lux 3 and now appr. 200 from FX37:

Slightly more saturated colors with FX37, slightly more noise suppression (and lost of details) in ISO 400 and ISO 800 (flash, mainly).

Or is it a firmware issue?
This feature is only firmware driven, so maybe, saving of the chosen mode could be possible in future. Please complain at Leicas side. If it will be changed, I will instantly buy it again for my own :-)

lG

hmh

Wien

PS: Frag einmal im Leica-Shop ... :-)

Hi!

Seltsam, seltsam. Wir, meine Frau und ich, sind beide 50+ und Kamera erfahren seit ca.35 Jahren. Sie hatte damit genauso wie ich Probleme in einigen Situationen. :D

Ich hab Leica schon eine Mail geschickt. Mal sehen.

Die Kamera an sich ist ja super. Ich verwende sie neben einer SLR.

lG

hmh

Wien

Hi!

Leica's sehr "nette" Reaktion:

Vielen Dank für Ihr Email. Die Kamera stellt sich immer wieder in den

Schnappschussbetrieb zurück. Ein Abspeichern der Programmautomatik als

Grundmodus ist nicht vorgesehen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Martin Jahoda

Leitz-Austria Vertriebs GmbH

Bäckenbrünnlgasse 7b

1180 Wien

Tel.01/470 15 11 - 25

Handy:0043 664 83 83 028

Fax:01/479 34 25

Email:mj@leitz-austria.com

Die wollen die Kunden nicht zufrieden stellen:D

lG

hmh

Wien

At last some discussion on C-Lux 3; I'm considering changing from C-Lux 2 (need wider angle lens) but just when the conversation gets interesting it changes to German language, which is beyond me. :(

From early reviews I had wondered if the menu system had become too clever for it's own good and the start of this thread seemed to confirm that. Would it be possible to return to English?

Pete--

The German-language exchange simply says that both the OP and his wife are in the target age group, but with ca 35 years of camera experience, and goes on:

I sent Leica an email, and their response is:

" Yes, the camera always resets itself to 'Snapshot Mode.' There are no plans to allow its base mode to be set to 'Program.' "

Seems they don't want to satisfy their customers.

Sorry, but you didn't miss anything...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!

Sorry for posting in German. Next time in Englilsh.

The translation was correct. ;)

I found Leica's answer a little bit arrogant, because the only problem with the C-lux3 seems to be (for me for sure and also in the german leica forum), that you can't switch it on in "P"rogramm Mode.

bR

hmh

Wien

I agree.

It would be annoying to have a camera that decides what it thinks you want every time you switch it off.

It shouldn't be hard to make the default user-settable.

On the other hand, in a sense it's like the zoom cameras, which always reset themselves to widest angle when first turned on.

Sorry for the problem; but thanks for letting us know. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I've just bought a C-Lux 3 and was extremely annoyed by this issue, but I think I've discovered a workaround. Turn the camera on, switch to programme mode and use it. Then don't turn it off. Just wait for it to turn itself off to save power - ie the lens retracts and screen goes off. Then turn it off. When you turn it on again, it starts up exactly where it suspended - ie in programme mode, with a message on the screen saying "Power Save Cancel" which dissappears after a few seconds. You can set it to suspend in 2 minutes using the ECONOMY option in the SETUP menu if you want it to switch itself off more quickly.

• 5 months later...

It works!

Things like this make me wonder how many serious C-Lux 2 users Leica surveyed before the 3 came out (or did they just re-badge the Panacam?).

By "serious" I mean folks who have shots in the C-Lux Leica Gallery, for example. Still, if Leica appear not to take any heed to their R or M customers, what chance have us folks at the lower end of the pond-life got?

Leica user for 43 years, and counting......... :o

• 13 years later...