Viva Luigi!!! My D-LUX 4 case!

RIDE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

luigi makes beautiful cases as i bought one for my M8. one thing i find about this case for the dlux 4 is that is doesn't make the camera all that compact anymore. for me, the point of having the dlux 4, or any other compact camera, was that i can just slip it in my jacket pocket and off i go.

luigi makes beautiful cases as i bought one for my M8. one thing i find about this case for the dlux 4 is that is doesn't make the camera all that compact anymore. for me, the point of having the dlux 4, or any other compact camera, was that i can just slip it in my jacket pocket and off i go.

True...but once the neck strap is removed, the case is still quite pocketable. Heck, order it without the rear cover flap and use a plastic film to protect the LCD screen and you can get it even smaller. Again, I see your point and that's the reason I chose not to get the full case version.

Add on the fact that the camera and LCD screen gets some protection, and it's a worthy trade off IMHO. Oh and it looks dead sexy too ;)

RIDE

the case is a work of art but methinks it adds to much size to a marginally pocketable camera (i have the camera and love it) i say marginally pocketable- because the lens sticks out a bit too much for my pockets.....

i found a leica cl case on ebay which fits the dlux-4 perfectly.. and can be "squished" into my pocket w/o adding any additional size

the case is a work of art but methinks it adds to much size to a marginally pocketable camera (i have the camera and love it) i say marginally pocketable- because the lens sticks out a bit too much for my pockets.....

i found a leica cl case on ebay which fits the dlux-4 perfectly.. and can be "squished" into my pocket w/o adding any additional size

I have an answer for you....you just need bigger pockets! :D :D :D

But again...if the lens is causing issues for you to fit the camera in your pocket, the case hardly adds enough bulk to the size in that direction.

The D-Lux 4 with a case or without...is hardly a camera that was meant to fit into a pant pocket like a C-Lux. So for me...even with the case, it still fits fine in a jacket pocket. I just need to find something like my Crumpler that will allow me to keep it on my belt when I go jacket-less. :)

Cheers,

RIDE

Hi Ride,

I like vintage movement watches. Two of my particular favorites are a Hamilton Electric and a Gruen curvex. The Gruen is an art-deco design with beautiful lug nuts. The curve is quite severe and made to have the face worn on the side of the wrist. It was designed for race car drivers to easily see the face without having to turn their wrists.

My other hobbies are early and classical music. I play recorders with an early music group and have a beautiful collection of instruments. I also play classical piano and violin and love to play chamber music when I can. I also keep freshwater planted aquariums and used to be a moderator on 2 different forums giving advice. So there are plenty of things to keep me busy.

Regards,

Carlos Marques

Ride, since you are the only one here that I know has a case for the D-Lux4, , I was wondering if you were happy with the fold-down back flap?

Since the camera is usually used with the flap down to access controls and LCD, would you have preferred to have the flap removeable (with 4 snaps) instead, or is the fold-down flap noit that bothersome when it is open

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ride, since you are the only one here that I know has a case for the D-Lux4, , I was wondering if you were happy with the fold-down back flap?

Since the camera is usually used with the flap down to access controls and LCD, would you have preferred to have the flap removeable (with 4 snaps) instead, or is the fold-down flap noit that bothersome when it is open

Actually I am very happy with it. I actually prefer it connected and don't find any issue with how it hangs down.

With the lens cap already being one thing to keep track of...if the back flap was removable, it would be just one more thing to put in a pocket.

No complaints here!

RIDE

I've been using this case for a little while now and answering emails about my thoughts so far, so I thought I'd post an update.

The case has been FANTASTIC thus far...I am really enjoying it. It gets compliments quite often...and the leather is just a pleasure to handle.

The grip is amazing...and a perfect addition to the camera. I also like the added security of the tripod screw holding the case on...even though that it's very clear that even without it, the case is never going to accidentally come off. The holes on the sides of the case where the neck strap loops around the case, also provide a nice spot for the on camera metal strap loops to sit. This add security to the case being held in place. Nice touch Luigi!

The screen is perfectly usuable and the controls are only slightly more difficult to use. This is to be expected IMHO given the style of case it is. But it has not taken long to get used to things...and it really has hardly any effect on shooting.

Much to my surprise...I am getting used to the neck strap. I never thought I'd say that...and again, Luigi was right to convince me not to delete it. My wife says I look like a tourist though ;-))))))) I may give things a go without it for a while just to see...but I think I am spoiled now!

Anyway...that is my report for now. IMHO...this case is VERY well worth the cost, especially if you factor in the fact that you are getting a stunning neck strap and built in grip.

Cheers,

RIDE

Ride, does your case have the snaps for the back flap on the top "sides", or just on the top of the flap? He shows it both ways in his pictures. I have ordered two, to decide on the color, and will probably sell the other later.

Yes my case only has the two snaps for the back flap. When you unsnap it, the flap hangs down. I actually prefer it this way myself...and am glad I ordered it like this.

Cheers,

RIDE

What I was referring to is if yours has the snaps on the side, as in the first picture of a DLUX4 case below, or on the top, as in the second picture? He shows both models available.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Ride,

I was on Luigi's site looks like the snaps on the D4 only come on the side or did you ask for that?

You play the Violin I did to for over 20 years till I broke a wrist and a few fingers in Karate.Ha can't forget Thumb wrestled with my table saw. Saw won but it's still there little shorter but there. Left Hand. That little event made me drop a few lenses because I can't tell how hard I am holding a lens when I change one. Verry carefull now when I do that.

Aquariums me too starting a 75 plant tank C02 and all. If you get a chance pick up TAKASHI AMANO -Nature Aquaruim Word- book he has 3 of them out his pasion is Aquariums and Photography and many if not all the pictures in his books are his and he is good.

I am not putting my Luigi order till after X- Mass looks like he is to busy and the mail really turns to poop at this time of the year.

Cheers Jan

Hi Ride,

I was on Luigi's site looks like the snaps on the D4 only come on the side or did you ask for that?

You play the Violin I did to for over 20 years till I broke a wrist and a few fingers in Karate.Ha can't forget Thumb wrestled with my table saw. Saw won but it's still there little shorter but there. Left Hand. That little event made me drop a few lenses because I can't tell how hard I am holding a lens when I change one. Verry carefull now when I do that.

Aquariums me too starting a 75 plant tank C02 and all. If you get a chance pick up TAKASHI AMANO -Nature Aquaruim Word- book he has 3 of them out his pasion is Aquariums and Photography and many if not all the pictures in his books are his and he is good.

I am not putting my Luigi order till after X- Mass looks like he is to busy and the mail really turns to poop at this time of the year.

Cheers Jan

Jan,

I did not request the snaps that way...I left it to Luigi. I actually like them quite a bit.

Not sure what you mean about the violin or aquariums...I think you have me confused with someone else. But that thumb story sounds terrible...what an injury.

Good luck with your Luigi order....and do keep us posted!

RIDE

I am the person who has a freshwater plant tank and plays the different instruments that Jan is talking about. Most of my pictures are of aquariums. I've combined aquariums with taking pictures of them. I was a moderator on two aquarium sites giving advice and I have all 3 Amano books.

Music is one of my other hobbies and I have an early music recorder group that meets at my house. I also play classical piano and violin plus sing in a chorale and collect vintage watches.

Regards,

Carlos Marques

I am the person who has a freshwater plant tank and plays the different instruments that Jan is talking about. Most of my pictures are of aquariums. I've combined aquariums with taking pictures of them. I was a moderator on two aquarium sites giving advice and I have all 3 Amano books.

Music is one of my other hobbies and I have an early music recorder group that meets at my house. I also play classical piano and violin plus sing in a chorale and collect vintage watches.

Regards,

Carlos Marques

Ah! :-)

BTW...love the Gruen watches.

Cheers,

RIDE

• 2 weeks later...