zeiss Zm35/2(Black or Silver) Or Voightlande 35/1.4

caparobertsan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello I need opinion I have a chance to get those lenses. WHich one do you think I should get? I know they are made by same people. But RRP is different- however I can get both for same price.

I told sales man to hold 35/2 Zm for me. But Nokton 35/1.4 looks good too- more compact?

I am wanting to get standard lens for M8. My current standard is elmarit 28/2.8.

Thanks for your time.

My experience with the CV 35/1.4 isn't great. The lens is not sharp wide open, and is not as good as (for example) the CV 35/1.2 at any aperture both share. I'd recommend choosing something else. If you're a subscriber to Sean Reid's review site, he's got a detailed review of the 35/1.4 which might help you to decide.

There are 2 different CV 35/1.4, the 'MC' and the 'SC'.

I don't own the MC as i don't like its bokeh at all but it flares less than the SC.

My copy of the 35/1.4 SC is sharper at f/1.4 than my late Summilux pre-asph 35/1.4 with the same smooth bokeh. Very good lens if you use it at full aperture but beware that flare can be a problem. Also the lens is difficult to focus from f/2.8 to f/5.6. Would be due to focus shift according to Sean Reid. I use mine indoor at f/1.4 and f/2 mainly.

1st pics: 100% crops at f/1.4 (SC above, Lux below)

2nd pics: 100% crops at f/4 (SC above, Lux below)

3rd pics: full frames at f/4 (SC above, Lux below)

Epson R-D1, tripod.

Zeiss M lenses are optically and mechanically of a very high order, and a priori, I would give my preference to them. They will stand up to long use. Remains the coding question, but coding is of course not absolutely necessary in the case of a 35mm lens. An adapter lens is the easiest solution as it can take a Milich bayonet ring, milled for self-coding, but CV 'P' mount lenses have the same problem as Zeiss.

In my case (with a ZM 18mm Distagon) I had John Milich modify the original lens bayonet, which was removed and replaced by a competent camera mechanic. Nice job.

The old man from the Age of the Zeiss Tessar

I've got the

• ZM 35 f2;
  • CV 40 f1.4, and
  • tried many CV 35 f1.4 in the store

The ZM built extremely well and is very easy to focus as the focus ring is reasonably large. Its not as sharp (wide open) in the centre compared to either the CV 40 or my recently acquired Summilux.

The CV 40 is razor sharp in the centre, but can only be described as having a somewhat "jarring" or unique bokeh as certain apertures and distances. It has a smaller focus ring so I find the Zeiss a bit more convenient to use. You need to file off a bit of the flange to bring up the correct framelines on the M8, (just a mm or so) but its really not that difficult to do (if I can do it).

For the CV 35 SC or MC, I tried a many copies in the store and was disappointed with the sharpness. I found it rather soft, so perhaps there is a lot of variation in quality here.

The Zeiss has more contrast than the CV. I don't know what your preference is here. If my choices were limited to between the 35 Zeiss or 35 CV, I prefer the Zeiss. I find the choice between the 35 Zeiss & 40 CV more difficult since the CV is a full stop faster, and I do have a preference for faster lenses. YMMV

Best Rob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think it's only fair to remember that the CV lens was DESIGNED to be a throwback that replicates the image qualities of old lenses like the original Summilux. It IS very small and well priced and if you are shooting high speed black and white film it would work wonderfully. If you want ultimate image quality you need to go with slower lenses like the Zeiss 35's or Leica Summicron.

Best wishes

Dan

....I am wanting to get standard lens for M8. My current standard is elmarit 28/2.8......

Sean Reid's subscription review of these [and other] 35 mm lenses makes fascinating and surprising reading and I recommend it to you. I know it's a different option to your original question, but consider the CV Colour Skopar 35 mm f2.5; it's a Leica Thread Mount and therefore easily coded.

The tiny Skopar might be the right lens for you, and for what it's worth - I'm getting one myself. For speed, the CV Nokton [?] f1.2 could be considered, but all these lenses have pluses and minuses which is why I suggest you should read Sean; he lays out their attributes very fairly.

................. Chris

You posted the above while I was typing. Oh well ............

Sean Reid's subscription review of these [and other] 35 mm lenses makes fascinating and surprising reading and I recommend it to you. I know it's a different option to your original question, but consider the CV Colour Skopar 35 mm f2.5; it's a Leica Thread Mount and therefore easily coded.

The tiny Skopar might be the right lens for you, and for what it's worth - I'm getting one myself. For speed, the CV Nokton [?] f1.2 could be considered, but all these lenses have pluses and minuses which is why I suggest you should read Sean; he lays out their attributes very fairly.

................. Chris

You posted the above while I was typing. Oh well ............

Hey but you know what, I think I will end up getting all the lens available......I guess it is a matter of time...... My collecting habit is getting worse than B4!

Really , All I need is LEICA summicron 35/2 then M8.3F is out I will need 50/1.4 or 50/2!

Thanks all!