shift focus

jumbalix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi! this is the first time I write in this forum, I read a lot of threads, and it's very interesting.

I bought a M8 a month ago, a sencond hand camera with a 35 summicron 7 elements. Now I read some treads here, and I decided to add also a 75 lux. But knowing the problem of shift focus I wanted to test very carefully the lens.

In the shop we put 3 objects in 3 different distances, I focused the middle one.... and in the picture only the furthest one was focused! (attachment)

Than I tried also a 90 tele elmarit... the same problem, so I tested in the same way also my summicron, less visible, but the same problem.

in your opinion:

1) isn't the rangefinder well adjusted?

2) or this problem is caused by the absence of UV IR filter?

now the dealer promised to fix the lenses, but if the problem is caused by 1) or 2) hypothesis... I think he is wrong and may cause a worst situation!

thank so much for your opinions! Daniel

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Daniel I had the same problem on my silver M8. I don't think it is the lenses. With the help of a friend able to work on the focus spring inside the upper side of the mount i improved the situation. But focus shift only got better with short lenses because of the help of DOF. My Elmarit 90 was still focusing several meters before the point i was focusing on at long distance. In the end i had to send the camera at Solms to have the range finder fixed up. I'm no expert, but i think that when all your lenses shift focus the same way it is likely the camera to be wrong.

From you OP you do not say if your original 35 summicron has the same focus problem? Is it fine or not?

I think he meant his original lens was having the same problem when he wrote this as part of his post near the end: "I tested in the same way also my summicron, less visible, but the same problem."

Sure looks like it's a trip to Solms or a good repair shop for some tweaks.

Thanks,

Will

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If all lenses exhibit the same issue it sounds like the camera rangefinder mechanism is a bit off... Can't this be adjusted with an allen wrench of the focus wheel? (Not for the faint of heart!!!)... or as another alternative others recommend DAG for reasonably priced repairs and adjustments... Leica will take forever...

Are you interested in getting the framlines upgraded ($800)?... That would most likely solve your problem in the process and they will give you a 1 year warranty for the whole camera :rolleyes:

yes, unfortunately, also with my summicron there is the same problem. I hope to avoid to spend $800... theoretically my camera has the guarantee of the dealer, if he is honest it would be free, I noticed only after a month the defect because the DOF of a 35mm masks better the problem than a tele!

Anyway, somebody has the idea of costs and timing to fix this problem in Solms or in another repairer?

thank you, Daniel

Daniel, don't get me wrong but might I ask you how you did the test?

Was the Lux wide open?

Was the camera on a tripod or handheld?

If you shoot the pic WO handholding the camera, I am pretty sure that the most minimal body movement could have caused what you see in the pic; however, it doesn't look you shoot it WO from the apparent DOF, so an actual f number would be helpful to understand what is going on.

Second, you mention focus shift, but I am not sure if what you really mean is backfocus instead; focus shift occurs when a lens produce an image in focus at, say, f1.4, then you just stop down without moving your camera - which must be on a very sturdy tripod of course - take another shot of the same subject and the focus has shifted: as in, the part of the image in focus differs from one image to the next.

I am not questioning the fact that the camera's RF might need adjustment (which might be a reason for it to have been put for sale in the first place); I would just suggest you to repeat your tests in a slightly more scientific way before you draw conclusions and before you send your camera to Solms. :D

thank you Enrico and Brent, I think you are right.. the more logical explanation is the rangefinder. Enrico, how many weeks/months in Solms to solve the problem?

many thanks, grazie mille, Daniel

Daniel, my M8 went to Solms two fridays ago after i wrote an e-mail to the Customer service and they cleared my position and told me to send the camera along with the Elmarit 90. Two days ago i've got a snail mail (paper) from them in german (that i do not speak) and with the help of a friend discovered a link that took me on a timetable stating that my camera was ready as of November 20. Sent them an e-mail asking if anything was ok and when they are going to send it back to me but got no answer so far. Hope to hear from them late Monday afternoon and to hopefully get the camera back within the end of next week. Meanwhile i live in an empty room with mattress on the wall and bars at the windows, have my beard long, eat my nails, beat wife and kid and knock my head against the wall several times a day. But that's it. It was something I had to do. Keep in mind that I've sent the camera directly to Leica with a DHL and stepped over my dealer.

Looking at other people pictures and comparing them with mine, I'm sure that there is people that have the same problem but is not aware of it. I suggest you to do as I did, i went to a serious Leica dealer while in Paris and shot all my lenses on a brand new M8. They are all ok. The best lens to evaluate the problem, in my case, was the 90. I couldn't focus at all with that on my camera. I had a shift focus of more than 15 meters.

Vieri is right though, use a tripod or shoot in very good light, wide open and with a high time.

Hope this helps

This is a 100% crop of a picture I took from the Leica shop and the same I sent to Solms. I focused on the chimneys on top the distant building that close the street in the background and the focus was on the black street lamp

3050639476_b38e15853e_b.jpg

The best test is to shoot at a fixed position on a yard/metre stick that is laying away from the camera. You can see how many inches the focus is off and start correcting it by adjusting the arm in the upper portion of the camera that follows the lens cam. A small metric Allen key and very small adjustments are all that you need. Then retest by shooting at the yard/metre stick again. It only took two adjustments for the problem to go away on my camera but it wasn't that bad to begin with at 1.5 inches of back focus.

You may have a more serious problem but I would try this simple fix first before sending it in for service.

Daniel, I did what Don says when I first noticed the problem on my camera and that someway fixed the focus shift on short lenses. In fact I was sure my camera was ok after that. It is with the Elmarit 90 that i realized I had a rangefinder malfunction. Beside that I noticed that the two images that must superimpose in the finder were not properly horizontally alligned. I'm sure I had the range finder to be fixed up.

Maybe you just have a focus shift and that adjusting the focus lever as Don says wil fix the problem. Just be careful doing that. Better if you have a friend that know what he's doing.

Look at this thread:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/13933-new-backfocus-thread-solution.html

I would suggest you do a few focus tests with a yardstick as suggested before... Show that to the dealer you bought it from and also call DAG and describe your problem to him (Google: DAG Leica)... He can give you a ballpark fix price to get out of your dealer... or you can send it on the long trek to the gnomes in Solms (See Enrico's thread on M* withdrawal)

PS Post the ruler shots here for us to look at :>

thank to all for your attention,

yes.. the test was not "scientific".

It's better that I repeat it with a tripod, anyway I took pictures in several f aperture, in any case the problem was shown clearly.

I have scare to do myself... today I go to the dealer and with your suggestions we will repeat the tests.

thank you, I will write the situation!

Daniel