DMR question on a problem

grduprey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently purchased a used DMR while on vacation. I have now connected it to my R8, and it turns on and seems to work just like it should. However, after shooting a while it did not cock the shutter and locked it up, until I removed the power pack and manually cocked the shutter. It now does this intermittently and also the shutter cocks slowly when it does this. I have tried cocking manually and it works just fine using that method. So I figured it was a weak battery, but it does this with two separate batteries, which came with the unit, and the battery charge display shows the batteries to be fully charged. Now I suppose they could both be weak as who knows how long they have sat before I bought the unit. I have also cleaned the contacts with a eraser. Has anyone else had this problem and what is the fix?

Gene

I would clean the contacts with Eclipse instead of an eraser. Don't forget the contacts up in the grip, nor the battery contacts themselves. Having said that, my DMR does this sometimes and I just ignore it. I see it as a price to pay for using a modular system.

Gene:

I think the not fully coking is battery related. I have this problem sometimes when shooting a lot quickly, but it goes away if I change the battery. One of my batteries may be weaker than the others, as the problem didn't happen very often after I bought a couple new batteries.

Robert

Thanks everybody for the info. I will try the Eclipse as a cleaner, I was thinking of trying it as not sure if I have any alcohol, as we just got back home after 6 months away, of which 3 months were in Europe, where i bought the DMR.

I will also buy a new battery as I had thought of that possibility also, since I have no idea of how old the DMR and the two batteries that came with it are. Any tips of where I can get a battery at? No dealers here in Iowa. ;-(

I have also been thinking of the R8 as part of the problem as it has sat unused for about a year and a half, and maybe the shutter is a bit sticky? Today I have been trying manually checking the cocking and then shooting, and the problem has not come back doing this. Not sure what this tells me though.

Thanks for the help.

Gene