please help me getting started with film developing

junglehs

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you so much for the input, guys. I will try it again this weekend with with Bernd's technique.

Another question:

I used the Kodak wetting agent then a water rinse, then photoflo and another water rinse. Is this correct? Isn't the wetting agent the same as using photoflo to get rid of the water before drying??

First a thourough film wash (10-15 minutes) or use the Ilford method and then as the last step the wetting agent (=photoflo) indeed only a few drops. This is for preventing stripes and drying marks. Too much wetting agent is causing stripes and too little is not working to prevent it. The right dose depends a bit on the hardness of your tap water.

I think my bigger problem was that I did not swipe the film properly off. I need to get a sponge or something.

Never touch wet film. The last thing you should do is a rince in a wetting agent (Photoflo or Ilford has an equivalent), then hang to dry away from dust and drafts. Do not wipe the film with anything. Never touch wet film.

I live in a soft water area, but alway use still, bottled water for my final photo-flow rinse.

I always dry the film by hanging at an angle, so that the water that does run, goes the short distance to the sprockets and then does as little harm as possible. I hang the film in a clean room, over a radiator, at this time of year, or behind a glazed door if during the summer.

I always dry the film by hanging at an angle, so that the water that does run, goes the short distance to the sprockets and then does as little harm as possible

That's the best way to prevent any stripes.

HCA is to speed up the wash procedure. But 30-50% shorter on 10-15 Minutes film wash is not that spectacular. When doing fiber prints (wash cycle is 40-60 minutes ) it's a bigger advantage.

A wetting agent (Photo flo) or simmilar products (H10, Amaloco, Agfa Agepon, Tetenal Mirasol) is for preventing drips and stripes on your film and should be the final bath for your film.

Exactly!

Your film developing sequence:

1) Developer (time depending on film and developer and temperature, normally around 20 degrees C.)

2) Stop bath 30S

3) Fixer bath (Fix time=2x clear time for classical cubical films, 3x for T grain type film)

4) Film wash , clean tap water (10-15 minutes)

5) Wetting agent (1 minute)

6) Drying (see above tips)

I "make" my own de-ionised water, in a de-humidifier that has to be emptied whenever the 5 litre tank is full.

It runs in my cellar. So, I just get what I need from there. I use it for all parts of the processes (B&W and E6)

It is a byproduct, not the raison d'être of the de-humidifier!

John

Edited by jpattison

You don't need to use both. Either will do.

I have to respectfully disagree.

HypoClearing Agent is used to make washing out fixer both faster and more effective. It is not a necessity, but is quite good idea. Without it effective washing takes longer.

Photoflo helps eliminate drying spots. It also is not necessary, but the difference in spotless negatives is remarkable.

I recommend both. One does not replace the other.

Sequence with H.C.A. :

1) Developer (time depending on film and developer and temperature, normally around 20 degrees C.)

2) Stop bath 30S

3) Fixer bath (Fix time=2x clear time for classical cubical films, 3x for T grain type film)

4) Film wash , clean tap water (2 minutes)

5) HCA (1 minute)

6) Film Wash, clean tap water (5 minutes)

7) Wetting agent (1 minute)

8) Drying (see above tips)

I live in a soft water area, but alway use still, bottled water for my final photo-flow rinse.

Bottled water may still contain minerals. I use distilled/de-ionised water for the final rinse - you can buy it at most car maintenance shops in 5 litre containers.

I too, am going to try developing my own film. I last did it about 23 years ago in college and even had my own darkroom as a teenager. Hopefully it'll come back to me <grin>. After trying a bunch of tanks and reels back then, I settled on the Paterson system; the film seemed to load on these the easiest. The hint that a few people gave about snipping the corners is A+. The film loads faster and without snags. Buy or use a roll of cheap film (unused, don't want to waste good pictures) and try it in the light. Cut off the snipped part and do it again... and again.

I came across a book the other day that I think is fabulous! "The Darkroom Cookbook, Third Edition" by Steve Anchell is a great guide to developing with different chemicals and processes. Unlike most of the other darkroom books, this one was published late last year (2008) and so is still current. Amazon.com: The Darkroom Cookbook, Third Edition: Steve Anchell: Books

• 4 weeks later...

So here is my status report.

I learned how to load the jobo rolls in the dark. Everything went smooth. After phil unsworth told me that I can eliminate photoflo, I tried it with wetting agent as the last step after washing. Now my problem was that the films looked very dirty. I guess some of the chemicals did not go off. Looks like a mess. I tried to wash of the mess, dry then wet. It got worse and worse. Anyway. You live and learn.

It was so frustrating. I had some good shots on the film. Aaaahh.

I wonder if this hassle is worth it. Maybe its only worth it if you make wet prints. I am scanning the film with a coolscan 5000. Takes forever. And then this mess. So frustrating.

Maybe I should emply a good photolab to develop and make a contact sheet. Then only scan the frame that I want to print. I'd still like to catalog the frames on the computer somehow.

Should I get into wet printing? Is it worth it? I already have a hp 9180 printer. But my blacks never come out dark enough.

Your thoughts are highly appreciated.

Al.

Well, film development is not really rocket science so maybe time to look over the shoulder of a more experienced person.

You're invited in Ravenstein. Otherwise I am sure there is somebody in the neighbourhood.