Sign in to follow this  
jdeed1

M8.2 failure

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shootist - completely agree with you on this.

John - I don't think there's anything new here - they're all known issues. And actually - isn't it much more important to be getting exposure right and to be framing in ways which give some coherence to the image than worrying about a filter reflection ...

Chris, I hear what you say but by the time these shots were taken I had become trigger happy desperately trying to find settings that would not reproduce the offending colouring. The shots were posted to show the problem not as exhibits from a portfolio! With my M8 I had no problems at all with outdoor shots at night and only 2 or 3 green blob reflections with indoor shots. Is it the case that some sensors are more susceptible to this phenomenon? From what you and Shootist say it is something I have to accept which is something I must say I am reluctant to do

John

Guest s.m.e.p.
What brand of point and shoot digital did this come from:confused:

Looks like a cellular phone cam.

I may be on a downer with Leica at the moment (for reasons I will not repeat) but the shambles - the dismal quality control of both new and upgraded cameras - continues.

Leica's are masters of making lenses but their cameras continue to disappoint. I think they should get out of the camera manufacturing business and entrust it instead to a world class electronics company.

I will probably buy an M9 with full size sensor, assuming it is ever made and the price managable.If to keep the cost in control the camera was sourced via Panasonic for example and made in a low cost labour country I would have no problem in the camera not saying "made in Germany".

Brian

Here is the green stripe again (lower right corner on her arm).

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3011/3013339812_fe2276ce35_b.jpg&key=d8bf5a5dca2a04207729335ded8a4ace9714c2877c80bde92bda6e367b16f706">

This shot has been taken with the filter on. I had sometimes problems with green stripes and reflection in dim light with strong lamplights or candles, but i've always solved them by taking away the filter. Generally green or magenta spots are generated by strong light sources in dark or night environments.

Guest s.m.e.p.
This shot has been taken with the filter on. I had sometimes problems with green stripes and reflection in dim light with strong lamplights or candles, but i've always solved them by taking away the filter. Generally green or magenta spots are generated by strong light sources in dark or night environments.

So you have to decide between magenta black and green reflections?

No, I mean that i only had those kind of reflexes or green bars in determinated circumstances and just because of the filter. Here you are another example: The first one with filter on the second with filter off. In the second picture the candles reflex is gone.

Both taken at the same time. Keep in mind that I did not work on these picture, alas the colours.

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/3031835904_4440be9992_b.jpg&key=571bf8faccc576c9f00ea7486f182a79107ba05225abf45ca331f1fe2f077a43">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3186/3031835966_6ddf21000b_b.jpg&key=8809e7ca25ca0c7ed8c9cf732ce7123ab72a96071909df9beaeddb9e9760ec87">

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In short, yes. (Although you will get many in this forum bleat on about how, with the availability of the filters, the sensitivity to IR has become a non-issue.)

And actually - isn't it much more important to be getting exposure right and to be framing in ways which give some coherence to the image than worrying about a filter reflection ...

I think you should be careful in offering smug advice about framing, exposure, composition, etc. Glass houses and all that..

Guest s.m.e.p.
No, I mean that i only had those kind of reflexes or green bars in determinated circumstances and just because of the filter. Here you are another example: The first one with filter on the second with filter off. In the second picture the candles reflex is gone.

Both taken at the same time. Keep in mind that I did not work on these picture, alas the colours.

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/3031835904_4440be9992_b.jpg&key=571bf8faccc576c9f00ea7486f182a79107ba05225abf45ca331f1fe2f077a43">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3186/3031835966_6ddf21000b_b.jpg&key=8809e7ca25ca0c7ed8c9cf732ce7123ab72a96071909df9beaeddb9e9760ec87">

Exactly what i feared: Reflections or ugly (skin-) colors.

:(

I find this whole green/red blob line band issue confusing.On the one hand some say this is a sensor /filter issue common to all M8's whereas others eg Jaap- see his earlier post- have never seen this problem. Which is it? It cannot be both unless those that have never seen the problem never shoot in low light with bright external light sources!. Whilst I understand and accept the reflection issue, in so far as the line / banding problem is concerned logic says it must affect only some sensors and if so these sensors can be described as defective.

John

Guest s.m.e.p.
I find this whole green/red blob line band issue confusing.On the one hand some say this is a sensor /filter issue common to all M8's whereas others eg Jaap- see his earlier post- have never seen this problem. Which is it? It cannot be both unless those that have never seen the problem never shoot in low light with bright external light sources!. Whilst I understand and accept the reflection issue, in so far as the line / banding problem is concerned logic says it must affect only some sensors and if so these sensors can be described as defective.

John

All Digital Ms have the sensor /filter issue.

But if you are a hardcore LEICA-Fanboy you won´t see it or at least don´t talk about it in the L•Camera Forum.

John

You got it in one. The "hot" pixels (red spots) and vertical banding (especially at high ISO) are defects in the sensor. This is exceptional, not "common to all M8's". I started to experience them only after having my M8 for almost two years. I sent it to Solms where they swapped out the sensor for a new one and returned it, all under warranty. No questions asked.

Doug

All Digital Ms have the sensor /filter issue.

But if you are a hardcore LEICA-Fanboy you won´t see it or at least don´t talk about it in the L•Camera Forum.

So little point in demanding a new camera when this problem manifests itself only to receive the response that there is no problem, the camera is behaving normally!!

John

If to keep the cost in control the camera was sourced via Panasonic for example and made in a low cost labour country I would have no problem in the camera not saying "made in Germany".

Brian

Yeah, why would you want your photographic equipment to be manufactured by people who work only 8 hours a day, expensive professionals who have health insurance, pension, good education for their children, etc?

Peter

Exactly what i feared: Reflections or ugly (skin-) colors. :(

Well, this picture arrived here just as it was shot. Skin tones can be fixed perfectly in any application such as Lightroom or similar. I meant that the only problem I had were from light sources and mediated by the filter. I often noticed that shooting without the filter is very ok. Indeed this is a problem, but nevertheless I love this camera and enjoy any moment spent using it. Yes I'm one of those hardcore Leica-fanboys...

:D

Exactly what i feared: Reflections or ugly (skin-) colors. :(

I'm pleased to tell you you would have no such problems with a Nikon D3 or D700 and their professional glass; the 28/1.4 is ideal for this type of shot.

True, the Nikon may be slightly intimidating, but fiddling around removing filters is hardly great for capturing the moment. You can have all the resolution and "glow" in the world, but it's pretty pointless if there are defects like these.

Guest s.m.e.p.
I'm pleased to tell you you would have no such problems with a Nikon D3 or D700 and their professional glass; the 28/1.4 is ideal for this type of shot.

I know, Mark. I use a D300 and a D3.

The 28/1.4 is out of production and I hope that NIKON announces a new 28/1.4 or 35/1.4 soon.

And actually - isn't it much more important to be getting exposure right and to be framing in ways which give some coherence to the image than worrying about a filter reflection ...

Indeed it is, Chris, but say one did all that and got his or her picture ruined by said reflections...

shouldn't this be something we all be vocal about, and shouldn't this be something Leica will provide a (free) solution for? It seems to me that the forum got - as far as some of the "old issues" are concerned - into a state of letargical acceptance: something like, "oh yeah, that's a know issue, just live with it" which frankly sounds quite amazing to me. Old, new, known, unknown, whichever issue it is, if Leica is willing to keep calling themselves a serious, an honorable camera maker it should - it must - be fixed. M8.2 shipping with the same sensor flaws as the M8 is, IMHO, unacceptable. Not just because the camera costs as much as it does, as someone says - all known issues must be fixed regardless of cost, of what is needed, and so on. And, not just in a perfect world, as someone else would say: in this world as well. More, for those who'd say that one "knew before buying" or "should have done its homework" before buying, to me it's still very reasonable to expect that a manufacture available of issues with his product will work to fix them. If a manufacturer knowing about any product issues just keeps selling it regardless, then its behavior is boarding to fraud IMHO.

Just my .02.

The green band? It never happened to me in two years and two bodies, over 16000 shots, so I think it is definitely camera-related.

Whether or not it has happen to you doesn't really count. It is common with all Leica M8's with the right scenario.

Here are 2 shots I just took. First is with my chrome M8 which is a replacement camera for my first chrome M8 that took the first shot I posted with the green line/band in it and the second which again is a replacement camera for my original black M8 that I received in September of this year and has since had the sensor replaced.

It seems to only occure on the sides, short sides, of the sensor.

This is totally reproducible wioth any M8.