No Upgrades For Me

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I haven't opted for any upgrades at this time and probably won't bother. If anything I would go for the new frame lines but I haven't read anything really convincing. I'm wondering how many of you out there are opting to stay out of the upgrade frenzy? I'd like to hear from those who are sitting this one out, and why?

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Benitez-Rivera Photography

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not for me either. The camera works fine, I've learned how to frame more accurately over last 18 months and the shutter noise isn't that great an issue for me, that electronic variety produced at higher ISO certainly is a concern. Image quality isn't enhanced in any way and recent progress with software means that colour from the M8 is more useable than it has been for some while.

The M8 gets less use these days (presence of D700) and is therefore poor economy to spend a significant amount on what are for me, low priority issues. I can easily find far stronger cases on which to lavish the money. Thus I will be selling 2 lenses for the M8 as I am happy with a 28 and 50 to meet my perceived future needs. This unmodified M8 will remain my rangefinder (or expensive compact...) so long as I feel I need one.

Can't even say that I am hankering for full-frame and would get M8.2 instead of upgrade with things as they stand.

Wilfredo - there's another good thread going on the topic of upgrades and the M8.2 and relative values. Here's the way I look at it: if I am going to spend $1700 for the full upgrade, it would make more sense to spend $3500 on the cost of an M8.2 (trade-in offered by Dale Labs of $2800 plus $3500 = a new M8.2.) So then I think, do I really need an M8.2, or more accurately, is it worth it to upgrade, or even more accurately, can I afford it now? And the answer to the first is no, and the answer to the second is no, and the answer to the third is not really. So then the question is, should I spend $1700 to upgrade, and I come back to, well, if I'm going to spend $1700, may as well spend $3500... and things go in circles and I remain perfectly happy with my M8. Cheers, JB

I'm seriously considering the rangefinder upgrade and the LCD. The rangefinder because if and when I decide to go with an M8.2 or M9 I would like to be using the same rangefinder I'm used to. The LCD because I've scratched the one I have quite a bit. :( Plus the additional year's warranty is a draw too.

But I don't want the shutter upgrade or the M8.2 because I lose the higher shutter speeds. To me those are worth keeping the M8 for right there.

Bruce

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have pretty much decided to wait until the M9. The M8 as it is suits just fine, and gets a lot of use, even with other cameras around.

I'd love the quieter shutter, but I have a feeling that will be an option on the M9 anyway. The next big deal for me is full frame, so I can start using the glass the way I like to...

Makes it hard to sell much of anything too...

Ah well. Here's hoping it's not too long a wait.

Honestly, all it took was going into my dealers and picking up an M8.2 for me to get on the phone for the upgrade. The shutter is now whispery with little to no kickback. And the new framelines pretty much allow me to quickly make the interesting compositions I prefer without having to constantly chimp like I do now. The sad part is that this is the way the camera should have been released in the first place and we are now forced to pay for it.

For me it will make it a much more useful camera (and it has to go back for a repair anyway) so it's worth the money. It will actually get more use because to me the quieter shutter and framelines make it a more pleasant and accurate shooting experience. I'll probably get the screen done as well and maybe even the vulcanite (if they will do the grip free at same time).

The M8.2 I handled felt all around better build. Intangible as to what exactly it is, but it really does (and my dealer agreed). But no way I can afford one, and as my screen on my M8 is pretty scratched up the resale value would be less so best to just get the upgrade (honestly I don't need the discreet mode as the new shutter is quiet enough and S and ev adjust not needed either as I meter mostly in manual).

Anyway, I guess my advice is to not say no definitively until you've actually tried an M8.2 or an upgraded one for yourself.

Not for me either though the extra warranty is interesting.

Love the 1/8000th speed, never have that much time to frame accurately doing street so the safety factor helps and my LCD is protected by a Luigi case.

I'll stick to my M8 "Classic", hmmmm, I like that term ! ;)

I have tested the sound of the M8.2 and if the new shutter would keep the 8000th I would probably think about it, for the noise is much less, compared to the M8.

But thinking about it, it would not make that much difference in terms of disguising the camera for candid shots with strangers as the real challenge is knowing how to deal with the strangers. So the quieter shutter would not make me feel any better.

The money, at the moment, I would invest in a nice 50 Lux.

I don't consider the anti scratch a must, and don't mind the frame lines the way they are, as with some training and thinking I get what I want anyway.

I do have trouble focusing though. I have been waiting for the 1.4x lens since Spt 25th (!!!) and have paid for it already, as I have leased the camera and the two lenses, so I am having trouble with the 75 'Cron. I will wait till I get the 1.4x and then will decide if the lens is fine or if it needs checking.

Maybe a larger rangefinder area would help.

... I do have trouble focusing though. I have been waiting for the 1.4x lens since Spt 25th (!!!) and have paid for it already, as I have leased the camera and the two lenses, so I am having trouble with the 75 'Cron. I will wait till I get the 1.4x and then will decide if the lens is fine or if it needs checking.

Maybe a larger rangefinder area would help.

Piero, the 1.25 magnifier makes a big different with focusing for the 75. In fact, I leave it on the camera all the time, even when using my 24.

There is a less-expensive version of the magnifier out of Hong Kong that has been discussed here. Check the 'magnifier' threads.

Wilfredo - there's another good thread going on the topic of upgrades and the M8.2 and relative values. Here's the way I look at it: if I am going to spend $1700 for the full upgrade, it would make more sense to spend $3500 on the cost of an M8.2 (trade-in offered by Dale Labs of $2800 plus $3500 = a new M8.2.)

Makes sense but if your not going to do the full upgrade, buying an M8.2 is expensive for cosmetics and some more automated features (Although I would like the delay recock feature).

I've gotta have the framelines. I'm one of those folks who used to shoot with an M4 & print with black borders, so the vagueness of the M8 framelines bothers me considerably. They've turned me into a 'chimper,' checking whenever I have a chance to see what's in the picture.

With the current framelines I figure I have only an 8-9 MP camera, the rest going toward cropping to restore what I 'previsualized.'

My plan is to send in my older body that needs its warranty renewed soon, & upgrade both its framelines & its shutter. Then I can see if I want both upgrades, or just the framelines, for the other body. I figure this is the most economical way to do it, given my difficulty with the framelines.

Kirk

I still have the original M8, now two years old. Why touch something that works just fine?

And you know I still have the original 1971 M5. The most user friendly M ever built. Just sorry I sold the M3 of 1964.

:)

I miss my M5. I loved that camera but just no longer use film. It was IMHO the best user M ever. Bad enough my M3 and M2 are now just collector pieces.

I did also have broken my head with such thoughts and decided not to upgrade both of my M8.

The screen looks a bit scratched, no problem, i'll fix it with special polish paste when it get opaque.

The frame lines, i get used to, and i mostly crop my pictures, so what ?

The shutter, it have i nice sound. That's what told me somebody (a photography teacher btw) i took a picture of. If i need a quiet camera, i take the Canonet with central shutter.

And for all that hard earned money, i do prefer buying the new Elmar 24mm instead.

The camera electronic will for sure not last as long as the M3 do (54 years), or does it ?

The lens have more chances to see 2050 (mine are pretty low).