Hammertone M8

monza

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd be happier with my wearing black M8 if it showed brassing vs the apparently silver coloured coating under the black finish. The thinning black finish around the edge of the camera seems to just fade to grey as best I can tell. Maybe eventually you wear through that and the brass shows itself :confused:

A way back I posted a picture of my pink calfskin covered chrome M8 with chrome 24mm Elmarit.

I always have wedding guests lusting after the camera when I start using it at the reception. It always amazes me how many people get the Leica M thing.

Leica will always do well as their products are self promoting to those who know.

Now a Hamerite M8, I just wonder if it would be the same?

How 'bout some camo.

Maybe worth calling the lens coat people ... they have a good line in camo designs. For the full effect wouldn't you want some netting too to hide the shape plus some face grease to match yourself to the camera? :D

I found black on black was pretty decent - I guess you'd need to have a black Leica dot or the universal camo accessory - gaffer tape.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is my M8 recovered in Rollei Black Magic leather, where I hope I have achieved a very traditional look. I got the Cameraleather kit stuck on professionally and it cost £25 - money well spent I think.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That's nice! Very much the old vulcanite look to it. Where did you get it and did the seller put it on for you? Presume it grips well?

Doug

Doug,

The kit comes from Morgan at CameraLeather.com Custom camera leather and leatherette. I had it put on by my local camera repair guru in Uckfield in Sussex, Kelvin at Protech Camera Repairs. I am told if you are good with things like leather (I am most decidedly not), they are quite easy to put on oneself. I understand from people who have been using these kits for years, they stick very well. If a little corner ever did lift, a dab of contact adhesive would sort it (Evostick, Bostick or similar). I am hoping it will be better to hold than the original rubber, particularly in tropical climes, where the holding M8 in sweaty hands became like gripping a wet bar of soap.

Wilson

Here is my M8 recovered in Rollei Black Magic leather, where I hope I have achieved a very traditional look. I got the Cameraleather kit stuck on professionally and it cost £25 - money well spent I think.

Wilson

Wilson it liooks very nice. As to the holding of the camera I ordered both Griptac and the Black Beauty leather for my replacement black M8 and once I hand both covers in hand and felt them I went with the Griptac.

I already had Griptac on both my M8, before the black one was replaced, and haven't use the grip base on either since installing the new covers, no need to use them as I can now hold onto the camera.

Maybe the Black Beauty leather would look better but that is of little concern to me. The more important part is being able to hold onto the camera. With the original cover I couldn't.

• 11 months later...

Okay, I'll chime in with my minimalist M8. Non-adjustable black strap from Luigi, black dot, black bottom plate. Chrome on chrome, vulcanite. I had Camera Leather's leatherette, which I prefer, but Leica applied vulcanite when I updated the camera, and I didn't get around to re-applying the second leatherette yet.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by carstenw

Okay, I'll chime in with my minimalist M8. Non-adjustable black strap from Luigi, black dot, black bottom plate. Chrome on chrome, vulcanite. I had Camera Leather's leatherette, which I prefer, but Leica applied vulcanite when I updated the camera, and I didn't get around to re-applying the second leatherette yet.

[ATTACH]169197[/ATTACH]

Now this is one of the slickest M8's I have seen. Very nice.

Now this is one of the slickest M8's I have seen. Very nice.

Thanks Will and Steve, it kinda evolved over time. Adjustable straps and shoulder pads never really appealed to me that much, as they add a lot of permanent bulk. The black dot came when I realized that they exist (:)), and the black base I picked up from another forum member who only uses his M8 with a grip (hey, Alan).

The neatest mod isn't actually visible. After Mark Norton posted one of his anatomy threads on the shutter release, I tore down my M8 and adjusted my release so that the first tension point can barely be felt, and the second one is a lot softer, making for a very smooth release. I wanted to polish the components with watch-making tools, according to Walt's instructions, but didn't get around to that yet. I plan to repeat some of these steps with the M9, although since it will be black, the base plate will be left alone :) At some point I will re-apply the leatherette, which I feel is nicer than the vulcanite, which is in turn nicer than the standard M8 covering.

Edited by carstenw