Hammertone M8

monza

Guest s.m.e.p.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

m8_blackdot2.jpg

This originally was a black M8. It was sent to Solms for some custom engraving ("Leica" script on top plate plus owner's name.)

It's been updated with cameraleather.com Vulcanette C, and hammertone paint. The shutter speed dial, shutter button and on/off switch were swapped out with chrome parts. Lastly a black Leica dot was added.

M8 ala carte. :)

From my point of view you made an error in design:

If you want a camouflage M8 and don´t fill the M8 engraving with color you shouldn´t have another engravement on the camera.

The silver leica dot from the M7 Titan would fit better than the black dot.

The black plastik-protection looks like it is broken?!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is what the camera finish looked like when it was received. The black chrome had been removed by sanding.

m8-parts.jpg

I'm not sure what they do to M8s in Norway but... :)

The customer preferred a black dot, he was given several color options.

I'm not sure what you are referring to about broken plastic.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is still no excuse to abuse the poor thing with hammertone spray and ill-fitting leather:rolleyes:

Not to mention the bu@ - uuuuugglyyyy way the letter/digit combination M8 has come out of this treatment:eek:

Pobrecito indeed!

What about a Leica "Chamber of Horrors"?

Geez people, you guys set a new standard.

Those are replacement parts direct from Leica. Spray paint?

If you are going to bash this, then bash every chrome M8 that Leica has made.

This photo was taken prior to the camera being completely reassembled, so the top plate is just sitting on the chassis. It's not screwed back into place. The leather is applied just like Morgan applies them. The M8 is actually the easiest of all Ms to put new coverings on.

I should have said - ill-applied leather. Morgan's covers fit excellently. Did anybody notice the too-thick aluminium paint spray job on the switch and speed dial? That is not chrome, as claimed.

Caesar adsum jam forte

Pompey aderat

Caesar sic in omnibus

Pompey sic inat

Latin is a dead, dead language

As dead as dead can be.

It killed off all the Romans

And now it's killing me.

Dead are all who wrote it;

Dead are all who spoke it;

Dead are all who learned it;

Blessed death! They earned it!

You see - latin lessons are never wasted

Wilson

m8_blackdot2.jpg

This originally was a black M8. It was sent to Solms for some custom engraving ("Leica" script on top plate plus owner's name.)

It's been updated with cameraleather.com Vulcanette C, and hammertone paint. The shutter speed dial, shutter button and on/off switch were swapped out with chrome parts. Lastly a black Leica dot was added.

M8 ala carte. :)

well for me looks the nuts. which store did it ?

I could be tempted by a true black paint job on my black chrome M8, just like the one in the background of the OP's shot.

The hammertone finish doesn't rock my boat but I don't think it's particularly ugly. I agree about the contrasting black controls - might have set off the hammertone nicely.

However, that image of the wire brushed body work prior to re-paint haunts me.... :eek:

I have nothing against hammertone and if you look at the finish on the lizard skin leather camera on this thread, the hammertone actually looks quite good. The finish on the camera that is the subject of this thread looks horrible in the photo. Now it may be the photo not the finish but to my eyes, it just looks like corroded alloy. The other finish I like but I would prefer someone else to be the guinea pig just to be sure, is black crackle.

Wilson