Rules in the Leica Forum

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can someone remind me where the "Report inappropriate post button" is. On an old thread, a new member has just posted screeds of sales links for all sorts of rubbish. I know I can search for the user name of a moderator and send a PM but I seem to recall there is simple button to report these posts, which is a quick way to accomplish the same task.

Wilson

... and a "I don't thank you for this" button. :confused:

A motivated person would know that the camera is a Panasonic. He wold have noticed that it has a Leica lens. What more can we say? Use it and enjoy. Are you afraid that someone will cry that it is not really a Leica? An ego thing? :eek:

Are they or are they not Leica cameras?

Please define "Leica camera".

Yes, they are Leica cameras as they are sold by Leica.

No, they aren't Leica cameras as they are not manufactured by Leica.

We are living in a networked and connected world and you would be surprised where and by whom products of high level brands (Apple, Mercedes, BMW etc.) are really made.

Andreas

This is a very interesting thread. I have never made a secret of the fact that my mainstream camera is no longer a Leica, once I knew for definite that the much promised "R10" was never to be produced.

However I have a huge regard for the Leica brand and made quite a number of very good contacts on this forum and so try to keep in touch by staying registered, I still have my panaleica LC2 and Leica DL4. Although whenever appropriate I will mention other brands when replying to some posts, I would NEVER post an image from anything other than a Leica or taken with a Leica lens.

Some years ago when the "R10" was very much considered sort of "imminent", a well known European Leica trustee and beta tester, posted an image reputedly taken with an R10 on the forum. As a keen potential buyer, I immediately downloaded the image from the forum and studied it avidly, including the exif data which told me that it had been taken with a then new Canon full frame DSLR. I promptly exposed this myth on the forum as I am a "spoil sport!"!;) However my point is, are images examined to verify their compliance according to the rules? That one wasn't!

The magazine LFI will certainly reject images that are not taken with a LEICA camera showing Leica Exif data. The Panasonics with Leica branded lenses are not acceptable to LFI.

Another spanner in the works is that software exists and is easily obtainable to strip and replace exif data. Why anyone would wish to spend money and time on doing this is beyond me, but we should all be aware of it anyway. Who would be a Mod these days!!!!!:eek:

• Like 1

... Another spanner in the works is that software exists and is easily obtainable to strip and replace exif data. Why anyone would wish to spend money and time on doing this is beyond me, but we should all be aware of it anyway. Who would be a Mod these days!!!!!:eek:

Hi David,

I didn't know of the existence of such software and, indeed, who would do this? What for??? :eek:

You could turn the question round - why would you want your EXIF data published? If you "Save for web" in Photoshop, it strips all the EXIF data. Many images don't have EXIF data at all, of course.

Quite what LFI do with photographs taken on film if they insist on EXIF data, I don't know.

Edited by andybarton

You could turn the question round - why would you want your EXIF data published? ...

Because I'm proud of my camera, even if it's "only" a "panaleica"! :rolleyes: Except for the four or five first photos I posted here, all the others have their exif. You just have to save them to your pc and take a look at their properties.Better: I put a link to my Picasa album web; the exif metadatas display with each photo. ;)

When you say "film", I guess you refer to silver film. Obviously they don't have exif; hence there's no solution.

Professional photographers will add their own copyright and personal information to exif data before sending images to customers or picture agencies.

Should then a "bad guy" use the images without permission the photographer has his own evidence and can take up a law suit for infringement of copyright. It rarely happens from individuals because of cost but professional associations will take it up on behalf of the photographer and recover their costs if successful.

Incidentally with the excellent professional up-sizing software available these days there is growing theft of low res images from web sites!

When you say "film", I guess you refer to silver film. Obviously they don't have exif; hence there's no solution.

Or it could be colour film. Lots of people, me included, shoot the majority of their photographs on film.

Professional photographers will add their own copyright and personal information to exif data before sending images to customers or picture agencies.

Should then a "bad guy" use the images without permission the photographer has his own evidence and can take up a law suit for infringement of copyright. It rarely happens from individuals because of cost but professional associations will take it up on behalf of the photographer and recover their costs if successful.

Incidentally with the excellent professional up-sizing software available these days there is growing theft of low res images from web sites!

I add my name and copyright to shots in Photoshop. It wouldn't stop a theif stripping the data within seconds if they chose to.

As someone who has had a shot stolen in the fairly recent past, no amount of EXIF or Copyright data will stop someone doing it if they want to.