Rules in the Leica Forum

LUF Admin

Advice on how to resize and upload photographs is available in two sticky threads at the top of the "About the Leica Forum" sub-section. Please place your shots in the appropriate place in the Photo sub-forum. Thanks

This musn't be meant to me since I have already read all this ... ;)

Yeah - must say I don't have much faith in these rules.

Another member explicitly defamed me in a recent thread - describing something (very trivial) which I could easily prove to be true as "a lie" and then continued to describe me in subsequent posts as "a liar".

Eventually the offending posts were removed in a general clear-up in a thread that had become generally messy and discordant, but nothing else was done about it.

I actually rang a lawyer friend of mine to see what he thought (mostly just out of curiosity), and apparently case history might have made this actionable, but we both ended-up laughing about it - or rather laughing at me for taking such stupid things seriously.

Even so, I've met and personally know some other members on the forum (one of them lives 100 meters, or so from me), so being called a liar wasn't something I thought should be tolerated, and it surprised me that nothing was done when I protested. I guess having a thick skin is a prerequisite of participation on the forum.

...so being called a liar wasn't something I thought should be tolerated, and it surprised me that nothing was done when I protested. I guess having a thick skin is a prerequisite of participation on the forum.

Something was done about it.

PM me if you wish to discuss.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to say something about this part of the rules :

Prerequisite for placing a photo is that it has been made with Leica equipment and/or has a strong relationship to a Leica subject. For the avoidance of doubt, this includes the use of Leica lenses on third party bodies, Leica lenses on Leica partner cameras (e.g. Panasonic) and the use of third party lenses on Leica bodies. In general, photographs taken without the use of Leica equipment are not permitted.

I don't agree with this. I know it won't change anything but I need to say it. For me, a Leica Forum should consider photos made with Leica equipment only, bodies and lenses. :)

The V-Lux 2 is a Panasonic camera...

Third party bodies and lenses are commonly used by many Leica owners and it is right that they should be allowed when people wish to post photographs here. However, one element of the process (either body or lens) must be Leica.

Edited by andybarton

In some respects I can understand prunelle's purist sentiments - "Leica is Leica is Leica ..." But so many people now use non-Leitz/Leica lenses that I think it would be unrealistic to exclude them from a general forum like this one. Many people are curious to see how other makers' lenses compare with the company's own - both current ones and past models - both technically and aesthetically. And for some - perhaps many - people the cost of new Leica lenses is prohibitive. Speaking for myself, the price of a new 21mm Leica objective is way beyond my means, which why I use a Voigtlander one.

To prunelle, I would suggest that the purist must alo be a pragmatist. The banning of "foreign" lenses or bodies from the forum would deprive it of many interesting contributors, to the benefit of nobody.

• Like 2

I should add, that I have no objection to way things are at the moment.

I just said that I didn't agree. No big deal; I'm nothing here.

What about rebadged Panasonic cameras, do they count as Leica even though they're not made by them?

They are supposed to be clones of their Leica counterparts, so... even if I think that it's weird, and actually it is weird.

Are the M series made by Panasonic in their plants too? And is there a clone of the M somewhere too?

Edited by prunelle

The D-Luxes and V-Luxes are rebadged Panasonics - the Panasonics generally come first.

No one, but Leica, make M cameras. They have nothing to do with Panasonic at all and there are no M camera clones.

Edited by andybarton

Who said it is sinking low?

They are in a long term partnership with Panasonic and both parties benefit from the arrangement.

Leica get product in the sub £1000 market, which they couldn't possibly make themselves and Panasonic get the benefit of Leica input into lenses on several of their cameras and are allowed to use the Leica name on them.

The sale of rebadged Panasonics is a useful revenue stream for Leica

How is it that Leica has sunk that low that they sell copies of cameras that have been made by others?

???? Are you unhappy then with your V Lux? You do realise it's a rebadged Panasonic?

Leica's tie in with Panasonic gave them a fast track route into the very lucrative digicam market - sales of the PanaLeica's kept Leica going and allowed them to develop cameras like the M8/9 and S2.

Panasonic benefit by the association with a highly respected established photographic brand and the input of Leica lens designers.

If it says "Leica" on the body of the camera, then it is a Leica, even if it's made in Japan and never sees Germany.

However, a purist would argue that only those cameras produced in Leica's own factories, in Germany and Portugal, are true Leicas. Ms used to be made in Leica's own factory in Canada too, but that stopped making cameras years ago.

• Like 1

If it has a red dot, it's a Leica. The R-series up to the R7 were all based upon a Minolta chassis. Similarly, there have been collaborations in the past with Fuji - the first digital leicas - and with Minolta (again) for film compacts. "Badge engineering" is nothing new - the Zeiss cameras and lenses are all Cosina at heart, as were the short-lived Rollei M-mount cameras. The Epson R-D1 was a Cosina chassis too.

Edit - Andy has faster fingers than me ;)

Regards,

Bill

Edited by bill
  • Like 1