Too Much for a rangefinder

Guest bwcolor

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found this link. Perhaps someone can interpret it.

http://hotdocs.usitc.gov/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/0810c90.pdf

Reviewing the attached I think it is duty free. Not clear on all aspects of the register (it's 35 pages long), but it appears that most optical equipment is duty free, including most camera types. I guess it's because they aren't manufactured in the US any more, so no companies need to be protected.

Thanks for finding that. Impressive research!

Doug

What's 1 and 2 refer on the Rates of Duty column? the 2 column seems to have some %.

thanks.

-T

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

"I think the G10 and my old 5D (smaller than 1Ds MKIII) together with three L lenses (16-35mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm) can cover perfectly all my needs during the month I will spend in Costa Rica."

I think you will end up regretting it if you take the 5D and L lenses instead of the M8. Blow up files from both to 100% and examine the edges. My 5D has been gathering dust on my shelves since I got my M8s.

Tina

Tina Manley- powered by SmugMug

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the OP the issue was that the stuff cost too much money. Fine I can see that there are situations why this would be valid & sensible.

This is not the same as saying that the stuff is too expensive.

I recently spent (for work admittedly) about 30 keuro on a IR/thermal imaging camera. This has about the same no of pixels as a first generation digital 300x450 or so. The Ge lenses are single element things & cost about 3000 euro each. It weighs a ton and has zero ergonomics. Nice bright orange case to stay inconspicuous. In 2 years time the trade value will be down to less than 5 keuro - or less.

Peter, you are sure that's right? I thought any new equipment would be subject to duty unless you could demonstrate you'd paid tax at origin. I'd love to be corrected.
From a lawyer in this forum and my own experience yes this is correct for still photography equipment only. For the last five years I've been on (for me) a buying binge with stuff coming from Germany, Japan, Australia, HK, Norway, England, Austria, Canada, Italy, Russia, Ukraine, and just this week, Scotland. Not a cent paid on import duty yet.

From a lawyer in this forum and my own experience yes this is correct for still photography equipment only. For the last five years I've been on (for me) a buying binge with stuff coming from Germany, Japan, Australia, HK, Norway, England, Austria, Canada, Italy, Russia, Ukraine, and just this week, Scotland. Not a cent paid on import duty yet.

I'm sorry to ask but do you have to prove you paid tax? If so how do you? Thanks

No I don't have to prove anything to anyone. Here's what happens: I buy something, either on a forum like this or eBay, whatever. I usually pay with PayPal. I get a purchase and shipping notification. I come home from work of an evening a few days later and there is a brown box at my front door from wherever. End of story.

I just bought photo stuff from HK tonight. It will probably be here Wednesday. No import duty.

You omit two words: not worth the money to me. So don't buy it. Judging by the number of M8-2 posts here the camera is selling quite nicely to photographers who have a different opinion. But why make a song and dance about it? Nobody is questioning your opinion. Just your agenda based on your posts.

I didn't hear a song or see a dance, just an opinion, and you're right you are confused and rude too. Anytime anyone says anything remotley against the M8, you;re always right there giving them a rash of sh*t, why don't you give it a rest.

First post.

Been lurking for weeks before and since purchasing an M8.

Never felt the need to respond to any of the threads until this, and it's just my opinion.

--

I don't think Jaapv was particularly rude with his comment, actually I think he's spot on.

Maybe I just don't understand the mentality, but (and no offense to anyone) I happen to think a Rolex is probably too expensive considering it keeps time. Why would I seek out a Rolex forum, sign up for an account, and air my grievances?

This type of behavior doesn't seem odd to you?

My amateur psycho-analysis of the situation is this, he wants it, can't afford it, and is lashing out by posting that it's not worth the money. It's a bit childish for someone I imagine is old enough to know better.

Products cost what they cost, wishing it was more affordable does nothing, whining that it's too expensive is annoying.

Cheers,

The Canon G10 costs 1/10th as much as the Leica M8 body alone... I have bought one last week and I'm seriously considering if I will take my M8s to Costa Rica next week... I think the G10 and my old 5D (smaller than 1Ds MKIII) together with three L lenses (16-35mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm) can cover perfectly all my needs during the month I will spend in Costa Rica.

I realize that my M8s are becoming toys... I cannot really relay on them :(

I the image quality you get from the G10 is good enough for your taste why not.

I think however that those small automatic lenses are more critical regarding realiability compared a M8. Just my personal experience so far, the 3 last digicams I bought (grd, gx100 and dp1) all needed repair. The grad the lens got stuck, the gx100 needed focus calibration and the dp1 the focus completly failed after 2 weeks and I received a new sample (which works fine now).

My 2 M8s and also my M8.2 wich now replaced one M8 have been working fine so far.

Maybe just good luck with the Leica and bd luck with the compacts.

I cancelled my order today for the M8.2. Decided this is just too much money. A situation where some competition is necessary. The Dollar is up almost 10% against the Euro, but does Leica drop the price. No. Plus they are way behind on delivery. An example of German hubristic price gouging opportunism. I hope another manufacturer will some up with a rangefinder digital, with good (but perhaps a little slower lenses within the next year.

Any info on another rangefinder in the works?

I talked to Zeiss 2 weeks and it didnt sound as they plan anything in the near future.

The M8.2 isnt cheap but it is a great camera system. Plus there is a great used market for lenses-meaning you can buy and sell lenses with nearly zero loss.

If you are not willing to spend that much money why not go for a used M8 or a Epson RD1?

"I think the G10 and my old 5D (smaller than 1Ds MKIII) together with three L lenses (16-35mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm) can cover perfectly all my needs during the month I will spend in Costa Rica."

I think you will end up regretting it if you take the 5D and L lenses instead of the M8. Blow up files from both to 100% and examine the edges. My 5D has been gathering dust on my shelves since I got my M8s.

Tina

Tina Manley- powered by SmugMug

Hi Tina,

Maybe, I don't know... I'll let you know when I come back in mid December.

First post.

Maybe I just don't understand the mentality, but (and no offense to anyone) I happen to think a Rolex is probably too expensive considering it keeps time. Why would I seek out a Rolex forum, sign up for an account, and air my grievances?

This type of behavior doesn't seem odd to you?

My amateur psycho-analysis of the situation is this, he wants it, can't afford it, and is lashing out by posting that it's not worth the money. It's a bit childish for someone I imagine is old enough to know better.

Products cost what they cost, wishing it was more affordable does nothing, whining that it's too expensive is annoying.

Cheers,

M 8.2 as well as upgrades to the M8 are to expensive for what they are. If one wants to use the fantastic M-lenses and not go back to film days, the M8 is the only game in town (pls don´t mention the discontinued RD1). It looks as if Leica was either incapable of tackling its manufacturing costs or simply enjoyed its monopoly position. In either case, criticism from Leicaholics is unavoidable.

Your amateur psycho-analysis is to simplistic, I´m afraid. I was one on the earlier adopters to the M8 (Jan 07) and enjoyed it immensly since. And whilst affordability is not an issue, I wont "upgrade" to a slower shutter speed for a ton of money. Pricing for Leica products, at least some, starts to look absurd. Or why should e.g. a D-Lux4 sell at almost double the price of its identical sibling Pana LX3(yes, I´m familiar with the insignificant differences).

First post.

Cheers,

That is not always a true analysis of the situation. Some who can easily afford it wont buy because they dont think it is worth the money.

Jeff

I the image quality you get from the G10 is good enough for your taste why not.

I think however that those small automatic lenses are more critical regarding realiability compared a M8. Just my personal experience so far, the 3 last digicams I bought (grd, gx100 and dp1) all needed repair. The grad the lens got stuck, the gx100 needed focus calibration and the dp1 the focus completly failed after 2 weeks and I received a new sample (which works fine now).

My 2 M8s and also my M8.2 wich now replaced one M8 have been working fine so far.

Maybe just good luck with the Leica and bd luck with the compacts.

Tom,

For me has been the opposite. My both M8 have traveled a few times from Paris to Solms and both cameras have been replaced...

On the other hand, I use regularly a Ricoh GRD II, a Powershot S80, a Canon G9 I bought last April for the Philippines (don't walk in Manila with a M8!) which I've just replaced for a Canon G10 last week and I never had a problem with these cameras.

And with DSLR Canon cameras (1Ds, 10D, 2 x 20D, 5D and 1Ds MK III) I had experienced only one problem with one of the 20D which had some dust between the AA filter and the sensor (the camera was replaced)

Finally, I'm saying image quality of the G10 is better than M8's but it can be very close especially when you consider its price.

Americans,

Now is the time to purchase M8s in Europe! This because the US $ has increased with about 10% towards the € in a very short time. - And you are not obliged to pay local VAT. Insist on that. The European warranty is international. Leica New Jersey will be helpful sending your camera on the Solms if it is needed. I bought my M8 in Singapore (to save the VAT) and the Norewegian dealer has been helpful sending it - free of charge, to Solms for warranty repair.

Most likely, the US dollar must strenghten even more towards the Euro before you see Leica - and their US dealers, having possibility to reduce the price. After all, the dollar was still 20% higher than today when M8 was planned.

If we want the Leica M system to survive we must buy the stuff. I plan to buy a 21 mm 1,4 next year, even though I have a WATE. A fast wide angle is 'just what I need' with my M8. do anyone know when it will be in the shops and what it will cost?

Further; Leica has 'always' been expensive! What's new about that? I started my 'Leica career' by buying the stuff 2.hand. Buying a Leica lense new was regarded as economical harakiri. It is first when I am middle aged, my morgages are payed down and I am soon to retire that I can afford that kind of extravaganza of buying this stuff new.

German POWs sold their Leicas for a kilo of butter back in 45'. Since then the price of Leica gear, - compared to our purchasing power, has constantly gone down. Isn't that fine?

Americans,

Now is the time to purchase M8s in Europe! This because the US $ has increased with about 10% towards the € in a very short time. - And you are not obliged to pay local VAT. Insist on that. The European warranty is international. Leica New Jersey will be helpful sending your camera on the Solms if it is needed. I bought my M8 in Singapore (to save the VAT) and the Norewegian dealer has been helpful sending it - free of charge, to Solms for warranty repair.

Most likely, the US dollar must strenghten even more towards the Euro before you see Leica - and their US dealers, having possibility to reduce the price. After all, the dollar was still 20% higher than today when M8 was planned.

If we want the Leica M system to survive we must buy the stuff. I plan to buy a 21 mm 1,4 next year, even though I have a WATE. A fast wide angle is 'just what I need' with my M8. do anyone know when it will be in the shops and what it will cost?

Further; Leica has 'always' been expensive! What's new about that? I started my 'Leica career' by buying the stuff 2.hand. Buying a Leica lense new was regarded as economical harakiri. It is first when I am middle aged, my morgages are payed down and I am soon to retire that I can afford that kind of extravaganza of buying this stuff new.

German POWs sold their Leicas for a kilo of butter back in 45'. Since then the price of Leica gear, - compared to our purchasing power, has constantly gone down. Isn't that fine?

That's it now your really making hard for me to resist and send my kids to college. I read this article about the US dollar (see link below), so now might be the best time to go for it. Thanks

Travel | How long will the dollar stay strong? | Seattle Times Newspaper