Too Much for a rangefinder

Guest bwcolor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wondered if this is almost too good to be true. I went to the Leicashop site and you are correct, the M8.2 in black, is listed at 4165 euros. Going by today's euro to dollar conversion rate, 4165 euros for an M8.2 comes to 5312 USD. If I could get an M8.2 for that price, you can count me in today. I have e-mailed the dealer in Vienna to explore this. Living in the US, would I have to pay VAT? Or, just shipping? For 5312, even though I am unemployed, I will find a way to make it work. I am anxious to hear back from Vienna.

Will the EU warranty work in the US though ?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wondered if this is almost too good to be true. I went to the Leicashop site and you are correct, the M8.2 in black, is listed at 4165 euros. Going by today's euro to dollar conversion rate, 4165 euros for an M8.2 comes to 5312 USD. If I could get an M8.2 for that price, you can count me in today. I have e-mailed the dealer in Vienna to explore this. Living in the US, would I have to pay VAT? Or, just shipping? For 5312, even though I am unemployed, I will find a way to make it work. I am anxious to hear back from Vienna.

I would expect that you could use a credit card for this purpose. I don't believe you will pay the VAT, tho there will be shipping and insurance. And don't forget the extra fee from the credit card company for the euro transaction.

I cancelled my order today for the M8.2. Decided this is just too much money. A situation where some competition is necessary. The Dollar is up almost 10% against the Euro, but does Leica drop the price. No. Plus they are way behind on delivery. An example of German hubristic price gouging opportunism. I hope another manufacturer will some up with a rangefinder digital, with good (but perhaps a little slower lenses within the next year.

Any info on another rangefinder in the works?

I never quite get these kind of posts. Why do you feel it's necessary to announce a personal decision? Why is it important that we all have to know this?

Too expensive? Fine - don't buy one. Move on to whatever you feel you can afford.

Observation - cameras aren't commodities with a futures market...prices don't get adjusted daily against the dollor or euro.

And would not US customs charge you for a import fee (or whatever it is) when it arrives here? At least, when ever I ship a package overseas, need to fill out info for customs.

Or change your vacation destination to Vienna and pick it up by yourself.

-T

For that kind of savings ($800-$900), I would take my chances and hope for the best. I've not had any warranty issues with my M8.

What about filters, will they ship it to a US address with a EU warranty registration card ? And insured shipping is probably in the $100-$200 range ... I had looked at buying in the US when the Euro/$ was at 1.6, but it was just not worth it when taking all parameters into account.

Many things I would check out before buying, but anyway I think that a saving of $800 on a $6000 camera is just not worth the hassle and risks.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok- you've got me confused. If the camera is too expensive for your taste, why did you order it in the first place?:confused: And why get angry and make this post? There are plenty of things in this world that I find too expensive despite the fact that others buy them, but if I would have to get upset enough to make a post like this each time, I would live in a permanent state of indignation.

You might want to check out the new Panasonic G1. I just purchased one and I am very impressed. Oly is coming out with a version that looks like a rangefinder but no one knows whether they will add an EVF like the G1's. Picture IQ is as good as the M8. The $20 bill photo test for detail shows it displaying more detail at ISO400 (M8 at 320) than the M8 but not quite as good as the Nikon D90. Noise is less at ISO 400 M8-320), 800 (M8-640) and about the same at 1600 (M8-1250). Physically it is about the same size as the M8, quite a bit lighter and very quiet. The 14-45 lens is small and quite good. The view finder is surprisingly good and very bright. You also have the articulating 3" LCD to use with live view and the focus and shutter activation is fast. Cost $800 with lens.

I own a 3.000€ watch, and guess what.... it tells me the time, and actually not as precise as a 25€ Casio, I still love it though and it almost never leaves my wrist.

Want me to get started on my handbags and shoes?

:-) I.

Funny...

I used to own a $60'000 sports car and guess what, I never made it faster to work due to the perpetual traffic jams in Paris ...

Want me to get started on my handbags and shoes?

:-) I.

No, please, I remember explaining my girlfriend why a M8 was worth thousands more than a L1 ... I got the same argument on why a Gucci was soooooo much better than a $100 handbag. This is a lose-lose situation ;)

Decided this is just too much money. A situation where some competition is necessary. The Dollar is up almost 10% against the Euro, but does Leica drop the price. No. Plus they are way behind on delivery. An example of German hubristic price gouging opportunism.

Not sure whether I would describe in those terms a German company's declining to amend their prices purely as a result of the fluctuation in the value of an overseas currency.

................ There are plenty of things in this world that I find too expensive despite the fact that others buy them, but if I would have to get upset enough to make a post like this each time, I would live in a permanent state of indignation.

Exactly! I would not even go out for a coffee any more. First the slop and then the bill :eek:

Living in the US, would I have to pay VAT? Or, just shipping?
You will get the cam VAT free as it is being exported. Make sure you get it shipped by postal mail, fully insured. UPS, FedEx and other private carriers charge a 3% "brokerage fee" for "customs clearance". A ripoff to be avoided at all costs.
And would not US customs charge you for a import fee (or whatever it is) when it arrives here? At least, when ever I ship a package overseas, need to fill out info for customs.
There's no import duty for still camera equipment coming into the US.

Guest bwcolor

I posted this initially. None of the rants nor insulting irrelevant pissing has changed my point that the Leica M8.2 is not worth the money, nor my thought that the Leica company is taking advantage of the American public by refusing to recognize the adjustment of the exchange rate. Again, it amazes me how much ill will is projected by some of the readers in this forum. Bad manners.

You omit two words: not worth the money to me. So don't buy it. Judging by the number of M8-2 posts here the camera is selling quite nicely to photographers who have a different opinion. But why make a song and dance about it? Nobody is questioning your opinion. Just your agenda based on your posts.

... the Leica company is taking advantage of the American public by refusing to recognize the adjustment of the exchange rate. ..

Over the past several years, we 'Muricans have enjoyed stable prices on zillions of Asian products, even as the dollar fluctuated like a medical reading. Local marketing practice usually opts for a stable, local price. No surprise there.

We all have a Bunch of Stuff that we think is not worth the money (to us). For example, my 16-year-old car keeps on trucking, thereby allowing me to purchase some Leica Stuff. But, just imagine my shame as I have to CRANK my windows manually.