M6 Classic /TTL

imported_peter_m

The TTL is 2.5 cm taller to accomodate the electronics needed to have a flash sync (at 1/50th of a second!).

Personally I like the larger shutter dial as I can very easily adjust the shutter speed by running my finger along the top of the camera while I'm looking through the viewfinder.

Cheers,

Alex

I thought the difference was that the TTL has TTL flash capability.

Correct. The TTL flash capability is the basic difference and the reason for the "TTL" designation. There are other differences as noted above. The cameraquest link above explains it fairly well.

I guess??? the big difference would be the TTL with the large film speed dial in line with the front of the body case that you can run your finger along to change shutter speed while you keep your eye to the viewfinder ... as opposed to the small shutter speed dial set further back on the top plate on the M6.

Must admit that sounds like a good feature on the TTL. I am aware the directions of rotation are different which is probably due to the dials location one side or another of some internal spindle or gear to move it forward, and which is something to get used to whether it seems more logical a rotation direction or not.

How convenient do people find changing shutter speeds with the camera to eye using the 6 or 'Classic'?

How convenient do people find changing shutter speeds with the camera to eye using the 6 or 'Classic'?

I do it all the time, no problem. Its just a different mode from my D2 where the dial trurns like the M6TTL et.al. I have no problem switching. I honestly think a lot of the fuss abot this is simply because it is a change over which the Leicaphiles had no controll and thus has to be a bad thing.

- Carl

I have the M5 and it is TTL and also has an overhanging shutter speed dial. The shutter speed is also diplayed in the viewfinder via a mechaniacal link.

Great camera. It was considerd large for an M camera and it was not popular. The prices are very fair. Mine is in almost new condition. Lucky me!

I'm wondering how it's size compared with the new M8. They look similar from what I've seen on the Internet. I don't think it (M5) to large, just to let you know.

So rolling the M6 shutter speed dial (Not TTL dial) with a finger whilst framing or watching exposure through the viewfinder is not problem? I'm not at all worried about the direction. That is just a learned thing.

Regards

Mine is a little too firm to do with a single finger, but two is not a problem also when looking through the VF.

- Carl

Mr James Earley:

Got to get it... you will be thinking about it until it is gone. When it is gone, we regret that we did not get it at a bargain... Then again, if you want to, you can always trade it in for something else later... It is not like you will take a big hit on depreciation... The Leica Curse. :)