Focus tab

63strat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know many of you will think I'm being too picky, but I prefer lenses without the finger-focus tab. I have a new Summilux 50/4, which has a focus ring and the tab, so at least with this lens I can choose to use either. The 50mm 'cron has no tab, and as far as I can tell, neither do the new 21mm & 24mm 'luxes.

I don't suppose Leica offers a mod to remove the tab altogether on my '50 'lux, right?

I own an M8.2 and the Summilux 50/1.4 is my lens. Good enough?

Many of the knowledgable people who may be able to answer your question do not frequent this single-model sub-forum. You would have a better chance at getting the answer you seek by posting it elsewhere.

"Good enough"?

Regards,

Bill

I own an M8.2 and the Summilux 50/1.4 is my lens. Good enough?

It is better in the Customer Forum.

And, AFAIK, no, Leica will not remove the tab for you.

FWIW, i have lenses both with and without tabs. I used to hate the tab (especially the locking ones), but now, my 50 Summicron from '74 doesn't feel right without one.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many of the knowledgable people who may be able to answer your question do not frequent this single-model sub-forum. You would have a better chance at getting the answer you seek by posting it elsewhere.

"Good enough"?

Regards,

Bill

I'm new to this forum; I'm not sure what section of this forum is better for this type of question. Where do you suggest?

It is better in the Customer Forum.

And, AFAIK, no, Leica will not remove the tab for you.

OK, live and learn, thanks. (That's all I would have needed to hear, rather than a slap on wrist.) Thanks for the advice too.

I think it's all down to what is your habit

When I had a 50 'Cron without I enjoyed the feel between thumb and forefinger

But after I got the 35 'Cron I really began to enjoy the quickness with which the tab operated

Suit yourself, I guess

SLR lenses are L-A-R-G-E and have space for acres of rubberized focusing rings. Leica M lenses are compact and most wide angle lenses do not. Human adult fingers do not come arbitrarily small. Hence the tabs.

Tabs with infinity locks existed until the 1950's because most lenses had single focusing helicals and hence they rotated during the focusing. Consequently, they had to have the infinity locks because otherwise it would have been close to impossible to adjust the aperture—the entire front end of the lens rotated freely. There were some 1950's lenses which, though they had double helicals and straight-line focusing, had the locks as a reminiscence; conservative photogs felt queasy without them. Examples were the M Summaron and Summicron 35mm lenses. But as the mounts were revised during the 1960's, the locks went out.

The old man from the Age of Collapsible Elmar Lenses

I'd learn to use the tab. You can focus and f/stop at the same time and with familiarity you know where the lens is focused before lifting the camera to your eye. It just ... works.

Seconded. I prefocus regularly with my tabbed lenses before ever raising the camera.

Regards,

Bill

I don't like them either. I went out of my way to get an LHSA 50/1.4 ASPH because it has a proper focusing ring. There is plenty of room on the regular 50/1.4 ASPH barrel for a focusing ring but Leica unaccountably chose to put a tab on it. With the wides you have to put up with it or buy Hexanon or Zeiss optics.

Personally, I like focusing tabs -- but I acknowledge that they work better on some lenses than on others. ON the small version IV 35/2, for example, it is simply brilliant -- a wonderful piece of engineering and ergonomics. But on larger -- and especially heavier -- lenses, I find the focus tab alone to be inadequate. Hence (I suspect) the provision of both a broad focus ring *and* a tab on the Summilux 50. It would seem the best of both worlds to me -- allowing some degree of rapid prefocusing while also offering better grip with the ring....

But as you can see from the previous posts, it's a highly subjective issue!!

I don't like them either. I went out of my way to get an LHSA 50/1.4 ASPH because it has a proper focusing ring. There is plenty of room on the regular 50/1.4 ASPH barrel for a focusing ring but Leica unaccountably chose to put a tab on it. With the wides you have to put up with it or buy Hexanon or Zeiss optics.

I'm not familiar with that lens. I've googled for it, but can't find out if it's still in production, or if it's just available as new old stock.

It was a limited edition run. They're on sale on eBay. Type LHSA into the eBay search engine and run down the page and you will see two or three of them. They are visual clones of the original v.1 Summilux and come in silver chrome and black paint.