A Grand Prize for me and my M8

mikelc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...was fortunate enough to win the grand prize for this shot from the Summer Streets photo competition run by nyc dot for the event from this past august...the shot was taken with the m8 and 35 mm cron...just showing off i guess and plug for this incredible camera

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi to all....not sure what optrex is...but this is not HDR either but it involves PS and NIK filters and my philosophy of taking pics

...the beauty of shooting in raw is that it gives you an unedited 'sketch' file with the quality of info that the particular camera is capable of producing and the m8 files are spectacular...even better than the idsii which i had before i got the m8.

..that said in PS i then build the pic to create the kind of look that i want and that is now possible with digital painiting tools...i'm not from the school of the best shot is one that needs no postp...to me it's in the post where i make the pic i want so for that i want the best raw file i can get....and the m8 gives me that

mike

...thanks for the kind words...it is not a composit but a single image...in PS after playing with tonal depth I use the emboss filter to create more depth...I use several filters from the NIk Color efex set which are great...you can paint these on in layers....i don't replace the colors from the scene but rather try and enhance them in ways that create mood and effect (i was also fortuante enough to have had 2 of my pics of central park analysied by Sean in an article -Color and Black and White- he posted on his site about using color this way )...

...again to me it's not correcting the file but using it as a starting point to make the kind of pic i want...the color is an essential part of it ...i'm not that interested in BW

mike

Very interesting effect. Not sure that I would seek that, but the impact is real. Has a very "modern" look to it. I like the three dimensional sense it gives, like there were multiple images progressively imposed (even tho I know you didn't do that). Aside from the post processing you did, the core image is excellent - static scenes and movement combined to give a sense of "being there" to the image. I'm not surprising it won best in show! You should post this in the photos section for additional feedback.

Doug

If ever an image deserved a grand prize, this does. Not just for the post processing work, which is superbly done, but for what is going on in the photograph. There are a hundred stories to discover in it. Congratulations!

ps--Optrex is a mist spray for soothing one's eyes.