2 Cam lens on R8

thrid

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a 2 cam 2/50 Summicron-R (Type 1).

Due to the lack of the 3rd cam it will not meter properly with the R8, but will the camera set the aperture to the value selected on the lens when shooting?

As an example. Lets say my exposure is set to f5.6. Will this aperture be used at the time of exposure, even if the 3rd cam is missing?

Basically I am asking if the lens will function properly, minus the ability to properly meter.

Got to find a place in London to have it converted to 3 cam....

thanks

I have a 2 cam 2/50 Summicron-R (Type 1).

Due to the lack of the 3rd cam it will not meter properly with the R8, but will the camera set the aperture to the value selected on the lens when shooting?

As an example. Lets say my exposure is set to f5.6. Will this aperture be used at the time of exposure, even if the 3rd cam is missing?

Basically I am asking if the lens will function properly, minus the ability to properly meter.

thanks

When I had my Mk I 50/2 Summicron R converted from 2 cam to 3 cam by Leica Milton Keynes 12 years ago, the conversion cost just over £100. These days you can buy a Mk 2 50/2 Summicron R for less than £200 so it is debatable whether converting a two cam lens is a cost effective option.

Cheers

dunk

From the R8 instruction manual:

"LEICAFLEX model lenses and accessories (without R control cam) must not be used on the R8 since these can damage the camera.... "

This has always put me off mounting two cam lenses on my R8 or R9. It seems to be saying something more than just incorrect metering ("damage") - I'm not sure how or why this should be? Does anyone know?

From the R8 instruction manual:

"LEICAFLEX model lenses and accessories (without R control cam) must not be used on the R8 since these can damage the camera.... "

This has always put me off mounting two cam lenses on my R8 or R9. It seems to be saying something more than just incorrect metering ("damage") - I'm not sure how or why this should be? Does anyone know?

I have R8 and mostly 3-cam lenses but one 2-cam too. I am a beginner with Leica. I have read some discussion about this question but I can't repeat it - only tell my own way to handle this quite strange advice from Leica.

I suppose this R8 manual printed warning is inadequate, as well as this kind of information in net: "1 and 2 -cam lenses may damage ROM contacts". ( Photoethnography.com - Classic Cameras )

I can't believe that bodys aperture lever would damage when shooting without lens or with 1 or 2 cam lens. Must I fix my thinking? Perhaps lever can get jammed to the side of second cam and give a problem? 2 and 3 cams are placed together side by side..

Second, 3-cam lenses have 1 and 2 cam too. So ROM contacts are in danger to scratch with 3-cam lenses as well! Only R-cam and ROM lenses would be absolutely safe...

Third, it must be just some exception if some lens have cams placed so out, that it would touch to ROM contacts. Have you find is there some lens model that kind of - or some individual lenses? I have not yet met those kind of.

My way is put new lens to R8 first time very carefully to see if there is problem. I have second hand body with ROM contact very good without any touch marks and there are always used different 3-cam lenses and occasionally 2-cam.

Hope my english understandable. Please tell me right words and sentences if some irritant mistakes. To say nothing of my intention and message! Thank you.

Yes. It's different lever which is using "automatic aperture control" (sight with full aperture - sorry for my terms) and it is just the same in R-bajonet overal. ( ROM lenses I am not sure is there that mechanical lever too in use? I suppose yes.)

1,2 and 3 cams are for exposure meter purposes.

Please tell me, if you find nowadays a place to add third cam and how much it cost there. Here in Finland they says now only possibility to send it to Solms with full service same time and costing over 200€. Earlier Leica sold needed 3-cam parts to certain local repairer, but not anymore. Thanks.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 cam lenses (as well as 3rd cam only) are "officially" OK with the R8/R9. The "official" strictures seem to be:

(a) no ROM lenses to be mounted on Leicalex, SL and SL2

(B) no 1 and 2 cam lenses to be mounted on R8/R9 (the word "damage" is used in the caution, but, as I said earlier, incorrect metering apart, I don't understand why, if 3 cam are officially OK).

I can't believe that bodys lever would damage when shooting without lens or with 1 or 2 cam lens. Must I fix my thinking? Perhaps lever can get jammed to the side of second cam and give a problem? 2 and 3 cams are placed together side by side..

I cannot edit my message anymore. I wrote by accident "aperture lever would damage", but now removed it from my quote. Of cource I mean lever which meet third cam, not aperture. How would this lever named correctly?

Yes. It's different lever which is using "automatic aperture control" (sight with full aperture - sorry for my terms) and it is just the same in R-bajonet overal. ( ROM lenses I am not sure is there that mechanical lever too in use? I suppose yes.)

ROM lenses: Of cource there are mechanical contacts too, a third cam and a lever for aperture. Electric is for additional information given to the body.

• 12 years later...
On 11/3/2008 at 11:10 PM, mirror said:

I have R8 and mostly 3-cam lenses but one 2-cam too. I am a beginner with Leica. I have read some discussion about this question but I can't repeat it - only tell my own way to handle this quite strange advice from Leica.

I suppose this R8 manual printed warning is inadequate, as well as this kind of information in net: "1 and 2 -cam lenses may damage ROM contacts". ( Photoethnography.com - Classic Cameras )

I can't believe that bodys aperture lever would damage when shooting without lens or with 1 or 2 cam lens. Must I fix my thinking? Perhaps lever can get jammed to the side of second cam and give a problem? 2 and 3 cams are placed together side by side..

Second, 3-cam lenses have 1 and 2 cam too. So ROM contacts are in danger to scratch with 3-cam lenses as well! Only R-cam and ROM lenses would be absolutely safe...

Third, it must be just some exception if some lens have cams placed so out, that it would touch to ROM contacts. Have you find is there some lens model that kind of - or some individual lenses? I have not yet met those kind of.

My way is put new lens to R8 first time very carefully to see if there is problem. I have second hand body with ROM contact very good without any touch marks and there are always used different 3-cam lenses and occasionally 2-cam.

Hope my english understandable. Please tell me right words and sentences if some irritant mistakes. To say nothing of my intention and message! Thank you.

thank you, I have a 2-cam lens (90 f2.8 Elmarit-R), I'm afraid when put it into my R8.
do you have any problem since that day

sorry, my bad English.