Your own tread!

Guest stnami

I assume you were referring to my quote and yes I do believe we are the lucky few who stayed loyal to film.

In my case that was Ilford FP4 & HP5 and Kodachrome II 25 asa, latterly Kodachrome 64 asa.

I am also now thinking of getting hold of some D&P equipment so as I can do my own processing again. Maybe someone who has gone digital might have some stuff going begging, who knows?

Keep Film Alive

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have never left it. Film I mean. Must admit, I tried digi, but left it imediately. Never regreted.

There is forum for analogue only photography, including Leica, I belive you have hear about it, apug. I am saying this because it has really strict rules, and there can't happen discussion about film scanning for example. Here we have digi forum and film forum parts, and film forum is full of discussion about scanning and printing (computer printer's inks and papers, not mean labs printing). That would happen again, even if here analogue only part was established, very fast someone will ask about scanning or printing, and that would be it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have never left it. Film I mean. Must admit, I tried digi, but left it imediately. Never regreted.

There is forum for analogue only photography, including Leica, I belive you have hear about it, apug. I am saying this because it has really strict rules, and there can't happen discussion about film scanning for example. Here we have digi forum and film forum parts, and film forum is full of discussion about scanning and printing (computer printer's inks and papers, not mean labs printing). That would happen again, even if here analogue only part was established, very fast someone will ask about scanning or printing, and that would be it.

Haris

Quite right, in fact I think the whole digital thing is reaching saturation point now. And digital prints just don't seem to have soul somehow. I think I have seen the site you recommend and I will check it out again. Guess it is cold where you are- Take Care

I never left film. I didn't shoot it for a whole year when I got a D100 back in 2002, but quickly realized film had its strengths and shot it fully. I am now renovating and modernizing my darkroom. Viva film!

I wish I had more space to do that. Currently I am looking to buy an old focomat 1c or 2c enlarger.....just haven't found the right one yet.

Yea, I prefer just about everything about film....being a hobbyist, there is no reason for me to switch to using digital unless I require the convenience for quickly trading/selling an item, which is rare.

Guest maddoc2003jp
I never left film. I didn't shoot it for a whole year when I got a D100 back in 2002, but quickly realized film had its strengths and shot it fully. I am now renovating and modernizing my darkroom. Viva film!

Hi Ned ! :D :D

... film rules ! I didn't shoot film for five years (using a Nikon D1x) but always kept my FM, F3HP and MF lenses. When I bought my first Leica last year, the D1x was sold soon and since then only film.

I've just been backing up CDs to a DVD. These are scans of slides so I still have the originals. Two CDs whirred for a while then the message came up, "could not be read by this computer." Yikes! What if they had been my only digital copies...

I've just been backing up CDs to a DVD. These are scans of slides so I still have the originals. Two CDs whirred for a while then the message came up, "could not be read by this computer." Yikes! What if they had been my only digital copies...

Yes you are quite right. Nobody knows what the longevity of digital files is really as they have not been around long enough. I believe Kodachrome, as a for instance have and archival guarantee of 100 years.

You know where you are with film

Digital files will last as long as the back up made from them, and provided that you have software to see them. IMHO, there will always be software available that will open and process basic file tyoes such as jpg and tiff, as they are now universal. DNGs... not so sure.

Kodachrome will not last much longer, as an item to buy and process.

Negatives and slides are vulnerable to theft, atmospheric conditions, fire, vermin, poor sleeving, dust, scratches etc etc.

There is no "best way" IMHO.

...Negatives and slides are vulnerable to theft, atmospheric conditions, fire, vermin, poor sleeving, dust, scratches etc etc.

As well as CDs, DVDs, etc... After all there are 100 years old glass plates and films still good, and there are CDs and DVDs already not working.

Nothing is 100% sure, that is true Andy.

Regards

Digital files will last as long as the back up made from them, and provided that you have software to see them. IMHO, there will always be software available that will open and process basic file tyoes such as jpg and tiff, as they are now universal. DNGs... not so sure.

Kodachrome will not last much longer, as an item to buy and process.

Negatives and slides are vulnerable to theft, atmospheric conditions, fire, vermin, poor sleeving, dust, scratches etc etc.

You hope?

I hope what?

I shoot mostly film these days, but I do have about 15,000 digital image files that I look after. So, I understand the advantages and disadvantages of both media, when it comes to care.

If you were to store your digital files on line, at two different commercial servers, they'd be pretty safe from anything. Storing them on modern hard drives, in two locations, and verifying same regularly, is also pretty safe. If, say, the USB interface goes west at any stage, it's an easy task to transfer files onto a new drive, safe for the next few years.

Looking after a single, unbackupable original, is a far more daunting task, though. If you have a house fire, or a flood, the whole lot can be permanently lost.

I hope what?

I shoot mostly film these days, but I do have about 15,000 digital image files that I look after. So, I understand the advantages and disadvantages of both media, when it comes to care.

If you were to store your digital files on line, at two different commercial servers, they'd be pretty safe from anything. Storing them on modern hard drives, in two locations, and verifying same regularly, is also pretty safe. If, say, the USB interface goes west at any stage, it's an easy task to transfer files onto a new drive, safe for the next few years.

Looking after a single, unbackupable original, is a far more daunting task, though. If you have a house fire, or a flood, the whole lot can be permanently lost.

Well put it this way. I am far happier that my Leica investment is in M6 and not in M8

and the local waste transfer station as photographers are vulnerable to death

:eek:

Just cleaned my hard drives went from tens of thousands of images to thousands ........ it helps when the ward gives out sedatives, makes one feel invincible. Let the crows come and get me