Changing Bags

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't do any dark room printing anymore, it's all on the computer now, but I still do some shooting with film. I've been thinking of going back to processing my own B&W film and wondering if their is a favorite changing bag in the Leica clan? I'm getting tired of getting on the freeway to drop off film, dealing with Southern California traffic, and picking it up a few days later, not to mention gas milleage and time lost -- and we wonder why digital is killing film?

Cheers,

Wilfredo+

Benitez-Rivera Photography

Harrison changing bags and changing "tents" are pretty sweet. At the tail end of my motion picture Assistant Camera days, I started to use a big Harrison tent, and it was a poleasure to have freedom and space without the bag's material laying on your hands while you work. It sped up the work of loading motion picture magazines quite a bit when a darkroom wasn't available.

If you were using sheet film, I would say keep it clean. To load a film tank, reasonable care should be fine.

A few tips to help

Air filter in drying space

Filtered water

Glass storage bottles you can wash and keep clean

Do not reuse chemicals.

This way you will get clean negs that need no spotting. Spotting is a miserable job and it is much easier to prevent the problem than cure it.

Wilfredo

The biggest problem with changing bags, apart from the cramped working space, is dust. Changing bags, by their fabric nature, are full of it. Inevitably, this gets on your film, the spiral, and in the dev tank. Now, you might think that it will all get washed away during the development process, but in my experience some of it manages to glue itself to the film no matter how well you rinse it. I found that improvising a blackout in a bathroom or toilet (usually fairly easy because the windows are small) is a much better solution. Changing bags are best kept for emergencies.

John

Wifredo,

I have a changing bag that has a second, sealable bag inside it. This is a handy feature as when I forget to put something in the bag, I can throw the opened film cannister in the inner bag, seal it via its double zipper setup, and then open the main bag again. I don't have the name of the manufacturer handy from where I'm posting this but I'll try and find out when I get home.

-Nick

Another cheap method of having a "safe" chamber for your film in a changing bag is to get some moyion picture cans and bags. You can get them from any motion picture lab (easier in NYC or LA obviously) for free. They come in 35mm 400' cans w/bags or 1000' cans w/bags.

This way you aren't limited to one type of changing bag brand, and you don't have to buy a new one if you already have a changing bag or tent.