Favorite Color Print Film

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Andy,

I've noted your comment on Fuji before and questioned my use of it. At £0.97 a 36 exp roll I've persisted and found it to produce satisfactory results.

That is an excellent image, but as I said, I am only passing on my experience, not questioning anyone else's.

If you use a commercial scanner, things may be different. One would think that a Fuji scanner would be able to cut through the 4th layer.

I enjoyed Reala and UC100 they are both good but as Andy stated while scanning from time to time i get strange results with both films. Just like i had with Kodachrome under low light exposure. Still, if i have the chance, i use either one of them but after reading such praise about Portra 160 NC, VC i am going to try them if i can find them here.

Mehmet

That is an excellent image, but as I said, I am only passing on my experience, not questioning anyone else's.

Thanks Andy, there is no confusion, I knew it was your experience you were quoting from. Me too, it's all I have to share.

Take it you're not one of the first two in the queue for the M8 from the dealer on Cross Street, Manchester ? I'm No. 3 in the queue.

Will No 1 & 2 please identify yourselves ? :D :D

when they expect to have the camera in stock?

The Group has ordered 30 for their UK stores. The first two have been confirmed as allocated by Leica and are due 1 Nov, thereabouts.

No 3+ for Manchester have not been allocated, which might mean that I'm actually No 31 in the Group list.

Gives me more time to wait for the reviews. :confused:

Guest Metroman
Portra 160 NC for bright scenes, Portra 160 VC for dull days, Portra 400 VC for lower light. All made for scanning with tougher negative bases than Fuji and very natural color and quite fine-grained.

William thank you for that. I think I could count on two hands the number of colour films I have shot in the last 40 odd years!

I have been toying with shooting some colour with my new MP but knowing what to use and which is also good for scanning is rather confusing.

I shall start with your recommendations.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Andy, there is no confusion, I knew it was your experience you were quoting from. Me too, it's all I have to share.

Take it you're not one of the first two in the queue for the M8 from the dealer on Cross Street, Manchester ? I'm No. 3 in the queue.

Will No 1 & 2 please identify yourselves ? :D :D

No. I am all spent out on expensive camera equipment...

As you know, the M8 is a pro camera and I am a shamateur, so don't qualify. :)

I'll throw in a vote for Kodak 100UC and 400UC if you're scanning yourself; and for Fuji Reala if you have a Fuji Frontier processor closeby and want a quick turnaround on a Photo CD to post something to the web.

Don't know what the longterm availability of the Kodak 100UC and 400UC is going to be, though. My shops here in Indy (both Roberts and Cord) no longer carry it. They are carrying the Portra line, however; and I'll take William's advice in a minute about filmstock. Looks like that's what I'll be shooting too very soon.

Thanks.

Allan

Once again, I agree with William on the 160NC for contrasty strong light, 160 VC for soft light, and 400 VC for lower light levels. This is what works very well for me here in AZ.

The UC films are too punchy and contrasty for my tastes in the types of lighting that I deal with in the AZ sun.

I have tried some of the competing Fuji films, but just have fallen in love with the rendering and color from the Portra line.

For 800 at night-time sporting events, the Portra 800 is worlds above the Fuji. Much easier to scan, more natural colors, and finer grain.

Best,

Ray

Fuji has a new neg film out called, Pro 160 S, that seems to be luring away some Kodak users I know. I just popped a roll into my M7 so will get back to you on this when I've seen what I can do. It is not, however, cheap.

Brent,

Used some NPS in the past and found the edge sharpness inferior to Portra 160 NC. The negative base was softer too and seemed to scratch easily compared to the Kodak base. Frankly, I prefer Kodak colors, but let us know how you get on with it.

• 1 month later...