Voola?

jlphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After using an ELMAR 5cm/f3.5 plus FISON hood for more than 30 years on my IIIf I only now have become aware of the VOOLA diaphragm adjusting ring accessory. Is this practical? Does it remain a separate piece or become fixed to the lens or hood? Seems like something I might loose if it comes off when I remove the lenshood. I once tried a VALOO but it seemed better suited for use on an enlarger.

Thaks for your help.

Jim

After using an ELMAR 5cm/f3.5 plus FISON hood for more than 30 years on my IIIf I only now have become aware of the VOOLA diaphragm adjusting ring accessory. Is this practical? Does it remain a separate piece or become fixed to the lens or hood? Seems like something I might loose if it comes off when I remove the lenshood. I once tried a VALOO but it seemed better suited for use on an enlarger.

Thaks for your help.

Jim

Hello Jim,

And welcome to the forum. You will find an immense depth of knowledge and lots of help here!

The VOOLA is actually quite fiddly and can be lost quite easily. It is held in place by the FISON and you have to turn the FISON to adjust the aperture. This means that the FISON cannot be fully tightened to allow for it to be turned. The other option is to tighten the FISON and loosen it only when you need to adjust the f-stop.

I find the VALOO much more practical. You are correct - it was originally designed to adjust the f-stop of the Elmar when fitted to the VALOY enlarger. It is however, ideal as a lens hood and f-stop adjustment tool for the Elmar on the camera too - it can be fully tightened on the lens and will provide you with clicked f-stops.

If I were you, I would go for the VALOO…..

Best,

Jan

• Like 1

• 13 years later...

Just reviving this brief old thread - I have a VALOO for my 1947 Elmar 5cm & I've just realised that it's not compatible with my newly acquired 1933 Elmar due to the difference in the f stop settings ie 3.5, 4.5, 6.3, 9, 12.5 & 18 (as opposed to 3.5, 4, 5.6, 8, 11 & 16 on the more modern Elmar & the VALOO). Were there different versions of the VALOO or was it only available for the later settings. Is the only option for these earlier Elmars a VOOLA/FISON combination?

5 hours ago, romualdo said:

Just reviving this brief old thread - I have a VALOO for my 1947 Elmar 5cm & I've just realised that it's not compatible with my newly acquired 1933 Elmar due to the difference in the f stop settings ie 3.5, 4.5, 6.3, 9, 12.5 & 18 (as opposed to 3.5, 4, 5.6, 8, 11 & 16 on the more modern Elmar & the VALOO). Were there different versions of the VALOO or was it only available for the later settings. Is the only option for these earlier Elmars a VOOLA/FISON combination?

As user, I know that I can use my old VALOO (4.5/6.3 type) on my newer 4/5.6/8 type Elmar 5cm, with a bit of "unprecision" of 1/2 stop if I need to "clic" ,

in use I just take it as it is, clic without seeing on the setting on the lens itself, as the spacing on aperture rings is the same .

So if I need f/8, I adjust VALOO between 6.3 and 9, happily.

Edit:

Sorry my VALOO is the new aperture scale (4/5.6/8), so it's the other way around, but

in use this never prevent me using older Elmar 5cm (4.5/6.3 type),

on my VALOO (like this one in Wiki ) the clic is very faint, almost not perceptible

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

As user, I know that I can use my old VALOO (4.5/6.3 type) on my newer 4/5.6/8 type Elmar 5cm, with a bit of "unprecision" of 1/2 stop if I need to "clic" ,

in use I just take it as it is, clic without seeing on the setting on the lens itself, as the spacing on aperture rings is the same .

So if I need f/8, I adjust VALOO between 6.3 and 9, happily.

Edit:

Sorry my VALOO is the new aperture scale (4/5.6/8), so it's the other way around, but

in use this never prevent me using older Elmar 5cm (4.5/6.3 type),

on my VALOO (like this one in Wiki ) the clic is very faint, almost not perceptible

Yes, I understand what you mean - that's a logical way of using the newer scaled VALOO with the older scaled Elmar but with slightly reduced accuracy

I have a FISON hood that has been modified with a little catch inside to grab the Elmar's aperture arm. So I don't have to reach into the hood to change aperture, or remove the hood. I can just loosen it and slide it to wherever it needs to be. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Was this ever officially produced by Leitz? Or is this a modification done by someone else?

• Like 1

I am rather sure your device was done by someone else.

The original thing should look like this one the lens:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And the producer engraved on the other side:

Voilà, c'est pas un VALOO mais un VOOLA.

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, AresDerRuderer said:

While the VALOO is rather unneccesary if you 're using just the FISON hood, its in my experience a complete neccessity if you intend to use any kind of A36 filter with the camera, as having to take the filter on and off to adjust the apperture is much more tiresome than just having to reach inside the hood.

I just leave the aperture on f6.3 or f9 and change the shutter speed.

• Like 3