M8 Panos --Nodal point for M lenses

GMB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Philip - Many thanks for taking the time to explain. I am looking forward to seeing the screen shot. My logic tells me your results shouldn't be possible, I actually find the improved stitching software amazing. If you can give a 'Valid Attachment' screen shot, that would be great.

.............. Chris

I find PS simple compared to this Forum technology but I hope you can see this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=110203&stc=1&d=1225394905

Please see my text from earlier post.

The traces of seams visible in the larger image disappear when all the layers are flattened.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Philip - Thank you for your effort. The link now works, and your screen shot with Layers tells the story of the image very effectively. I've learnt some very useful tips from this thread, I had a very tricky panorama planned for late winter which I thought might not be possible, but I am now confident that it is do-able.

I'm still in a software blackhole, in that I need a new Mac, in order that I can run an updated OS, in order that I can run decent stitching software. I've shot panoramas over the summer and set them aside for later processing, making do with some 'rough' sample stitches in CS1. I may as well post an image of one of the less complicated 'roughs', it's from a large and varied body of work going back several years, and a mastered image would be less pictorial than the small Jpeg might suggest.

................... Chris

...I'm still in a software blackhole, in that I need a new Mac, in order that I can run an updated OS, in order that I can run decent stitching software. I've shot panoramas over the summer and set them aside for later processing, making do with some 'rough' sample stitches in CS1. I may as well post an image of one of the less complicated 'roughs', it's from a large and varied body of work going back several years, and a mastered image would be less pictorial than the small Jpeg might suggest.

................... Chris

Chris, your "eye" deserves a hardware and software upgrade -- that is a very elegant picture (pano or not) that you have posted.

On the software front, there is some good news: CS4 is considered still an upgrade for pricing purposes from CS1. Think of all the £££ you saved by skipping 2 & 3. But I think, from the little I know of your technique (pardon the presumptions), that the CS4 features will be right up your alley. You might want to consider carefully the Extended (i. e., pricier) version as that has features you may appreciate. I have already run into some things I would have liked that are extended only. Unfortunately, Adobe is not very detailed in explaining what the differences are.

Finally, I would advise any prospective buyer of CS4 to look at the Help files on Adobe's website. You must register with Adobe but it is simple. You can either peruse online or download a huge pdf file. There is one for Bridge and one for PS. However, even in that, Adobe is not real clear about what is in Extended and what is not.

I've posted this link elsewhere :

http://www.yosemite-17-gigapixels.com/

17 gigapixel images apparently, supposedly 2000 individual images [?], stitched in Autopano pro. Let it load, click on the oscillating red circles for close-ups, or view in one of the alternative viewers which let you zoom, zoom, zoom.

............. Chris

Now if only they'd done it hand-held..................

If I'm not mistaken, the information you're looking for is the "Entrance Pupil" that Leica provides in each lens' data sheet. For example, the data sheet for the 50/1.4 ASPH contains this:

Entrance pupil: 25.7 mm (related to the first lens surface in light direction)

Usually I have a harder time finding the plane that vertically bisects the lens. At best, it's a close guess. The axis of rotation should lie on this plane (I think).

how would one measure this? 25.7mm from the beginning the initial surface of the front glass back into the lens?

many thanks!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

how would one measure this? 25.7mm from the beginning the initial surface of the front glass back into the lens?

That's how I've been interpreting it, and seem to have gotten decent results so far, with one exception - multi-row panos don't have straight horizontal lines and end up drooping towards the edges. Next step is try out PS' Warp effect mentioned by Philinflash here

Based on various comments in this thread, though, it looks like I should just try handheld panos and see if that works sufficiently well.

Based on various comments in this thread, though, it looks like I should just try handheld panos and see if that works sufficiently well.

M8, 28mm Summicron, hand-held, from moving and rocking boat, not perfect by any means, but acceptable given the less than ideal conditions

The no-parallax point is the center of the entrance pupil, not one of the two nodal points of the lens.

Is that true, Michael?

IMHO, it should be the position of the center of the frontal optical "main-plane" responsible for receiving the picture (in contrast to the one related to delivering the picture to the film/sensor). That position changes following the design of the lens (focal length, true wide-angle type or not etc.) and can be located outside the lens barrel or even behind the rear main-plane (e.g. with tele lens type). Of course, both positions of those planes are given by Leica in their lens` descriptions.

Regards, Hermann