Erwin on Apples & Oranges

Paul Hart

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"The Nikon D3 blows away the Leica M8 when you look at the possibilities, speed and range of photographic assignments that you can cope with. The D3 can handle almost every task with ease and good performance. The operative speed is impressive, the sensitivity of the sensor is amazing and the scope of customization leaves no wishes. The Leica M8 is more restricted in its area of deployment, but can score points when the photographer needs to be intimately involved in the subject or scene and wants to operate at close range, where selective sharpness, the precise framing and the conscious focus are required. "

So saith EP here:

Nikon D3 and Leica M8.2

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've not read Puts' article but,..

For that matter, my new Canon Rebel XSi "...blows away the Leica M8 when you look at the possibilities, speed and range of photographic assignments that you can cope with. ".

I've also never understood the claim that an M is good for intimate, close-in work. Most M lenses have a minimum focus distance of 3 feet.

I've also never understood the claim that an M is good for intimate, close-in work. Most M lenses have a minimum focus distance of 3 feet.

It is not about macro works Putz is talked about. I believe it is more about intimate situations, shooting close to people.

I noticed myself that people tend to relax when they see me with RF. What happens if you point out 70-200 and D3? it would look like a modern military gun with laser when you shot at 8 fps :)

Funny thought to compare D3 and M8 but it was fun to read there. Something better than Ken Rockwell.

M8 "precise framing?" !!! That's one of the reasons I bought a D3. Maybe he got them mixed up....

Yes. but you don't see your subject walking into the frame line :) One of the unexpected enjoyment I had since I got M8.

But, when it comes to job, one got to use what gets the job done.

-T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is a pointless comparison. The cameras are quite different, in concept, in function, in size, weight and purpose. I chose the M8 because I wanted portability, to be able to take pictures discretely, but never to feel there might be a significant imaging compromise as a consequence of these needs.

In all those respects the M8 is without peer. Sure, I would use my Nikon for fast action sports or for a telephoto safari. But most of the time (like 80% of the time) I pick up the M8 because its easy to stuff in a small backpack, with three lenses and not feel even slightly burdened by it. It's there when I need it and it takes great pictures (most of the time).

Guest wls.shanghai

M8 & D3

...that seems funny to me :)

D3 & 70-200 = monster machine gun - 80 shots per second and 2999 programs/settings etc.

.....all people disappear in panic :eek:

M8 = inconspicuous, quiet, lightweight and with the best lenses on earth. :)

Regards

wls

Thank you, WLS. Well said. This is like comparing the best Burton snowboard to those brand new Atomic skis. A house in the mountains to a house at the beach. A $70,000 Porsche to a $70,000 BMW. To each his own. But saying which is "better"... The Porsche and BMW can each get you to the same place, and fast. But they are two different experiences, and if you seek out one, you give up something the other's got.

The title of this stream, Apples and Oranges, says it all.

As to Erwin, he likes to write long essays. And gets carried away at times by his own mass multiplied by his velocity. Like when he writes: If the M8 has the philosophy of a mountain bike, the D3 feels like a Formule 1 racer.

Ugh, back to picture taking. With something light. Like a mountain bike, eh . . ? But thanks for the amusement.

OF COURSE . . .

This is EXACTLY why we shoot with this ancient viewfinder platform. WE want to compose, focus and adjust . . . and not let some oversized, motorized gizmo-beast do it for us.

Doing all the work actually slows down your shooting with the distinct possibility of creating more personalized results.

-g

I've not read Puts' article but,..

For that matter, my new Canon Rebel XSi "...blows away the Leica M8 when you look at the possibilities, speed and range of photographic assignments that you can cope with. ".

Since I use both the nikon D3 and the M8 for street shooting....you might be interested in what I have learned. People are attracted to motion ....when you lift a camera to you eye ...the motion itself is a tip off and people look at you . A technique I learned form a photojournalist was to hold the camera right below my chin and then when I wanted to shoot or focus to just drop my head a few inches. Often I will try looking at the screen as a diversion. With the M8 this is easy and many people don t even notice you. Now try the same technique with a D3 and the 24-70/2.8 .

Two factors ..obviously the size of the camera and the long lens with a big front element ....but also the form .....people associate a D3 size camera with a Pro . This is why you get the questions about what your doing .

The M8 is much less threatening and with some practice you can take images inside 3 ft . I don t know about you but if someone moves anything within arms length ....I will move back.

Another test I did was to stand on the Brooklyn Bridge .....right on the center line between the bike path and the pedestrian walk (OK maybe you think I have a death wish). Camera at eye level focused at about 8 ft. This was NYC (nobody makes eye contact) but the M8 went unnoticed about 50% ....with the D3 just about everyone got and it .

Point being the size and format of the M8 just blends in and its easier to shoot inside the activity.

Guest rubengonsalves
M8 & D3

...that seems funny to me :)

D3 & 70-200 = monster machine gun - 80 shots per second and 2999 programs/settings etc.

.....all people disappear in panic :eek:

M8 = inconspicuous, quiet, lightweight and with the best lenses on earth. :)

Regards

wls

And yet sadly there are so many beautiful published photographs made with D3 or 1D and so few made with an M8. :(

Guest bwcolor

A Leica is a Leica. If the souls of dedicated photographers are examined, Post Mortem perhaps, it will be revealed that those who used and loved Leicas of all vintages, are more pure and beautiful, more happy and calmly satisfied, than those who used Nikons.

A Leica is a Leica. If the souls of dedicated photographers are examined, Post Mortem perhaps, it will be revealed that those who used and loved Leicas of all vintages, are more pure and beautiful, more happy and calmly satisfied, than those who used Nikons.

I bet a CAT Scan of a of a M8 owner would have a soft magenta glow... :p

If only Leica made the Nikonos then I wouldn't have had to put a foot in both camps! ;)

Thank you, WLS. Well said. This is like comparing the best Burton snowboard to those brand new Atomic skis. A house in the mountains to a house at the beach. A $70,000 Porsche to a $70,000 BMW. To each his own. But saying which is "better"... The Porsche and BMW can each get you to the same place, and fast. But they are two different experiences, and if you seek out one, you give up something the other's got.

Like golf, in the case of the Porsche. Every try to get a set of golf clubs in a C4?

JC

Shame that Puts wastes his time writing stuff like this when his opinion and testing of lenses is so valuable.

Personally, when I am working in some distinctly shady parts of London at odd hours of the day I know which camera I prefer having. One which can easily be whipped out of an innocuous looking bag and put back in again in a flash, does not attract attention and if it does attract attention looks not much bigger than some kind of point and shoot.

LouisB