• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why?

Pete.

The thread is about whether Leica is going to live up to their promises. If a person doesn't own an M8 I don't see why the thread would have any relevance to them and I don't feel their opinion has any value (to this thread). My opinion thats all.

You are right that no one knows at this time whether it is all firmware or some hardware and firmware.

But if it was all firmware It could be that even after you install the upgraded shutter the camera is still seen as a original M8 and if they implemented the delayed cocking it would work on original M8's without the shutter upgrade. the same firmware works for ALL version of the M8. The M8.2 has some type of pointers to let the firmware know it needs

Just how many people would upgrade there shutter if they could have the delayed cocking with the original shutter. I think nearly none.

I'm not so sure of the highlighted statement ... for me, quieter+delay capabilty would have been a significant push to make the upgrade (which, actually, I won't do); just to jump into this long and heated thread... ;) ... I think Leica probably didn't evaluate how the delayed cocking feature would have been valued by M8 users... or maybe they DID and decided consciously to not implement it as an "upgrade"... intending that M8.2 must have something really distingued from M8: and this would be really not too fair to M8 users: in tech terms, I doubt that a delay function would involve something beyod firmware, even if, as Michael said, ther is no evidence of this.

Because having an opinion on whether they live up to their promises or not, is not dependent upon owning a particular camera.

It's a "principle" thing, not an "only owners could possibly have an opinion" thing.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There was a bit of irony in my post 345 which perhaps others did not notice.

My way of dealing with Leica's decision is to not be caught again, put off my future purchases until I know how Leica will conduct business in the future....

Jeff - I am guilty of missing the irony, so I'm sorry to have quoted you out of that context. The above quote shows you to be pro-active against the Leica policy in discussion, not passive as I suggested. Withdrawing one's custom is a powerful signal to anyone at Leica who 'gives a damn'.

............ Chris

The thread is about whether Leica is going to live up to their promises. If a person doesn't own an M8 I don't see why the thread would have any relevance to them and I don't feel their opinion has any value (to this thread). My opinion thats all.

So ... it's okay for you to have an opinion but not someone who doesn't own an M8? :rolleyes:

If this thread was purely about operation of an M8 and those who hadn't used or owned an M8 would find it difficult to understand then I might have a different opinion. But this thread's not about that. It's about Leica's behaviour as a corporate entity so it potentially affects anyone who has investment (personal, financial or otherwise) in Leica. Yes, the starting point is the delayed shutter cock on the M8 but the gravity of the thread is about how some feel that Leica has let them down as a corporate entity.

I therefore don't see how not owning an M8 is relevant.

Pete.

If the malicious lobbying of a vocal minority brings the company down it is very relevant.

Do feel free to put me on your ignore list.

Regards,

Bill

So ... it's okay for you to have an opinion but not someone who doesn't own an M8? :rolleyes:

I therefore don't see how not owning an M8 is relevant.

Pete.

No everyone can have an opinion but when all this particular poster is doing is slamming Mark at every turn then to me his opinion has no meaning. It was purely aimed at that and only at that.

No everyone can have an opinion but when all this particular poster is doing is slamming Mark at every turn then to me his opinion has no meaning. It was purely aimed at that and only at that.

So ... are you saying that you're happy that people who don't own or use an M8 can have an opinion on this thread as long as they're not Bill?

Pete.

Guest Essemmlee

I'm not a great one for joining in on these things but............

I'm worried now that any comment Leica may make on the future of their range is sullied by their lack of commitment to their past comments.

I love my M8 and wouldn't swap it for anything but I won't invest any more in Leica gear. I'll vote with my wallet.

So ... are you saying that you're happy that people who don't own or use an M8 can have an opinion on this thread as long as they're not Bill?

Pete.

No as I have said anyone can have an opinion but I am tired of Bill constantly slamming Mark and anyone else who has an opinion different from his. i also think that the opinion on this issue from owners of the M8 count a little more strongly as we were the ones that were lied to.