Hot Air and Broken Promises

marknorton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Of course xkcd link (linked) courtesy of Mani. Where is he by the way?

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jaap, you may be able to write off your camera as a tax-allowable expense but not everyone can. As one of the other threads shows, the cost of trading an M8 for an M8.2 is more than double that of upgrading the M8.

Mark, everybody buying a digital camera knows it will write off economically to virtually nil in a given number of years. The M8 maybe less than some - but still. The writeoff is offset by the economical benefit of no film etc costs and the pleasure of use. So I do not think having and using an M8 for say 18 months, recouping about 50%, avoiding upgrade costs and getting a brand new M8.2 is such a bad deal, if one really needs/wants this one new feature. The writeoff on a car is a far higher percentage, I think, and still people buy a new one every few years to get some newest features.

Compared to the cost of the whole system, including lenses, computers, filters, batteries and what have you, it is but a small percentage.

Just as an aside, my DMR has just generated 75% of its original value after 27 months of ownership.

Well Andy the DMR is out of production and if you want to shoot digital with a Leica SLR there isn't much choice in the matter and there weren't that many produced in the first place.

Not totally the same with the M8. There are tons of them out there, new and used.

If I sell one of my M8's I don't expect to get much more then $3000 for it IF I even get that.

I'm putting my black M8 away, yes the one I got as a replacement, for just this reason.

It is totally fixed and only has about 700 shots taken with it.

I almost put it in the bad this morning, I usually switch out chrome for black, black for chrome on a daily basis so each get equal use but this morning I said NO just leave this one alone in case you want to sell it.

Whine again.

Of course it cost a lot $$$$$$ to have M8,2 when you have 8,0.

Ask yourself which is more important? to continue to shoot 8,0 and save expensive nerves

or sell 8,0 and upgrade up to 0,2 for many $$$$$ and still save nerves?

or just lose many nerves here when the health is immeasurable?

Who really cares about value? Leica LOGO represents absolutely no penny savings.

Oh dear, why does something trival like a shutter cocking mechanism lead to personal insults and attacks over the net?

You all bought your M8's knowing what its specification was, I don't think anyone bought on the condition that they could have a delayed shutter cocking mechanism fitted at a later date.

If it really is THAT important to you, there IS an upgrade available, for about £4000 less what you can get for your M8. That will be much less stressful for you and everyone else than getting irate with people you don't even know.

yeah it is worth quote this zillion times until some learn to read what it is about :D

I have pretty much solved the issues I had with the M8, IE: Loud and odd sounding shutter / advance, IR filters that need swapping out for color film use, cropping of $4,000 lenses.

I sold the M8 and will not even look at another digital M again until they at least get rid of the need for IR filters.

For the past month, I have been on the road shooting nothing but film in Leica M bodies. I just make images and move on, spending far less time on the internet debating about gear that will never be perfect. I have one more month to go...

Selling the M8 and forgetting Leica as digital is the best thing I have done in a long time. Of course, your needs and requirements may vary.

K, what are the films you use and what is your workflow to get a digital image?

... I sold the M8 and will not even look at another digital M again until they at least get rid of the need for IR filters.

For the past month, I have been on the road shooting nothing but film in Leica M bodies...

Selling the M8 and forgetting Leica as digital is the best thing I have done in a long time.

if we look how the forums work, you did right decision indeed :D I will be in hospital very soon even I dont have M8 lol

I have pretty much solved the issues I had with the M8, IE: Loud and odd sounding shutter / advance, IR filters that need swapping out for color film use, cropping of $4,000 lenses.

I sold the M8 and will not even look at another digital M again until they at least get rid of the need for IR filters.

For the past month, I have been on the road shooting nothing but film in Leica M bodies. I just make images and move on, spending far less time on the internet debating about gear that will never be perfect. I have one more month to go...

Selling the M8 and forgetting Leica as digital is the best thing I have done in a long time. Of course, your needs and requirements may vary.

I must admit that this post surprises me far less - in fact not at all- than your post announcing you had bought an M8....

I hadn't even looked at this thread; it isn't the kind I read. But I became curious why it had gone on so long & took a peek. Now I find myself compelled to contribute, though quite belatedly.

What surprised me was the reference to Stefan Daniel's post #106. I realized I hadn't taken seriously the phrase "broken promises" in the title of the thread.

A previous Leica announcement made it 100% clear that Leica was committed to making all upgrades - especially firmware upgrades - that would be compatible with the M8 available to its owners. Following that announcement I bought a second one.

Am I mistaken in reading Mr. Daniel's post as a forthright reversal of the announced upgrade policy? Did i miss something in the fine print?

I saw a couple of polite posts that said in effect that "it's OK, Mr. Daniel, we understand you have to do this to sell M8.2s."

On the contrary: It is not OK. Even if Mr. Lee 'went rogue' about this & other issues, the announcement to which I referred was issued under Leica auspices to owners who were encouraged to regard the camera as upgradeable as far as was electronically & mechanically feasible. There was no ambiguity about this, none whatsoever - & no qualification that Leica reserved the right to withhold upgrades.

Withholding a firmware upgrade seems to me to be particularly unconscionable, in light of the previous announcement.

The upgrades are themselves quite expensive, & surely pay for themselves. And I doubt there's more risk of losing M8.2 sales than of losing another measure of M8 customer confidence - which has not been running high.

Nevertheless, whichever way these economic issues turn, it's clear that the 'internal discussion' about the discreet mode upgrade did not adequately weigh ethical responsibility.

I have no concluding word except "appalled." I'm sorry to lengthen a beaten-to-death thread, but on finally realizing the situation I have no intention of letting an unethical reversal of policy pass by. It's a terrible affront to 'Leica loyalty.'

Kirk Thompson

Leica user since 1972

Considering Leica's stellar performance practically since the day the M8 came out it seems hard to believe anyone is surprised by this.

I hadn't even looked at this thread; it isn't the kind I read. But I became curious why it had gone on so long & took a peek. Now I find myself compelled to contribute, though quite belatedly.

What surprised me was the reference to Stefan Daniel's post #106. I realized I hadn't taken seriously the phrase "broken promises" in the title of the thread.

A previous Leica announcement made it 100% clear that Leica was committed to making all upgrades - especially firmware upgrades - that would be compatible with the M8 available to its owners. Following that announcement I bought a second one.

Am I mistaken in reading Mr. Daniel's post as a forthright reversal of the announced upgrade policy? Did i miss something in the fine print?

I saw a couple of polite posts that said in effect that "it's OK, Mr. Daniel, we understand you have to do this to sell M8.2s."

On the contrary: It is not OK. Even if Mr. Lee 'went rogue' about this & other issues, the announcement to which I referred was issued under Leica auspices to owners who were encouraged to regard the camera as upgradeable as far as was electronically & mechanically feasible. There was no ambiguity about this, none whatsoever - & no qualification that Leica reserved the right to withhold upgrades.

Withholding a firmware upgrade seems to me to be particularly unconscionable, in light of the previous announcement.

The upgrades are themselves quite expensive, & surely pay for themselves. And I doubt there's more risk of losing M8.2 sales than of losing another measure of M8 customer confidence - which has not been running high.

Nevertheless, whichever way these economic issues turn, it's clear that the 'internal discussion' about the discreet mode upgrade did not adequately weigh ethical responsibility.

I have no concluding word except "appalled." I'm sorry to lengthen a beaten-to-death thread, but on finally realizing the situation I have no intention of letting an unethical reversal of policy pass by. It's a terrible affront to 'Leica loyalty.'

Kirk Thompson

Leica user since 1972

Thank you, Kirk,

for your concise and clear statement! I do hope someone at Leica reads this and begins to wonder if their marketing policy in this matter was really such a smart move, after all. Who if not their long time loyal customers should they care to satisfy?